Citra Hop

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

speedie

Reaction score
Has anyone of your members tried the new Citra hop from the states
It would be good to get some feed back as I am contemplating buying some and developing an American style ale
Thinking along the lines of three varieties cascade, Citra and nelson sauvin in the same brew go with US 05 a see what happens
Any and all feed back appreciated

Great hop with good aroma, mandarine? Great for American ales I have been combining it with Simcoe.

Gavo

Check out the 'Style of the Week' thread on this hop HERE

I've used it a couple of times in a summer ale and it's not too bad, but to me a very 'fruitsalady' hop.

Cheers

I've recently used it in an APA which was bittered using Summit and then I used Citra and Summit as late addition hops. The name of Citra tells you most about it! Very citrus driven, especially on the nose with notes such as mandarin, tangerine and grapefruit. In regards to flavour I can't tell you exactly because Summit would have played a part in it also, but the 2 combined have created a nice big fruitbowl (which was the desire of the recipe to begin with)...although I'm not sure about Summit as a bittering hop as it seems to be quite harsh, but it is still a young beer.

If you use it, keep the addition late or as a dry hop.

Hey Speedie

Welcome to the boards!

Citra is a very potent hop from my experience but a very suitable hop if you want fruity punch with out any doubt! - go easy on it and up the ratios rather than vice versa IMO..

2c

Saturdays brew is going to be a DIPA with Galaxy, Chinook, Centennial, Simcoe & Citra. It won't be hoppy much...

LOL @ Bum :D

As for the rest the best is yet to come :eek:

Mountain Goat's new Rye IPA is using it combined with Cascade. Was on sample at ANHC (during breaks and at the Gala Dinner) and I think is available on tap at the Local Taphouses (Syd & Melb), but you'd have to check with your local bar guy.

A yummy fruit basket of a beer that is making me think more about trying this hop out myself.

Hopper.

It would be good to get some feed back as I am contemplating buying some and developing an American style ale
Thinking along the lines of three varieties cascade, Citra and nelson sauvin in the same brew go with US 05 a see what happens

This is basically to the combination that got me 1st in the IPAs in the NSW comp this year....

Timely thread, as I just ordered Citra, Amirillo and Galena this morning. Haven`t used the Citra before.

Timely thread, as I just ordered Citra, Amirillo and Galena this morning. Haven`t used the Citra before.

I'm going nuts waiting for Hops Direct to make their Citra into pellets! $12 for 454g. SCWEEEEEEEEET! :icon_cheers:

OK. Thanks anyway.
Great prices, as allways the freight is the dampener.

Am really liking what Citra has to offer so far. Currently drinking my latest brew of Citra and Apollo paired together which worked better than I could have imagined but you definetly have to go easy using a 13.6 % and 18.9% AA hops. This was my recipe

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...amp;recipe=1268

Got a Citra Smash planned this weekend as my second AG attempt and a Citra/Cascade after that as I need a few summery beers.

The enigma has arrived.
Don't use citra, so no point me even posting is there.

Don't use citra, so no point me even posting is there.
Had you used what do you think your chances are that there'd be any point in posting?

Knowwhatimean?

Back