Cider Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bowie in space

Reaction score
Right folks, here is a rough idea for an apple cider kit recipe. Any suggestions would of course be greatly appreciated! Remember this is the kits n bits section of this site, so go easy!

1 Blackrock Apple Cider Kit
750 g of either Dextrose, White Sugar, or possibly adding Light Dry Malt
2 - 4L Apple Juice (preservative free)
200g Lactose
4 peeled, cored and sliced Granny Smith apples inserted in a stocking to keep together.
Kit Yeast @ 24C or lower.
I understand this may have to ferment for 3-4 weeks.

I am also toying with the idea of pear schnapps, apple/pear juice, and possibly honey or cinnamon sticks.

I really never thought I'd be making a cider, and thus taking so much precaution to do so, but it's something new, right?

Feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Bowie

A better and simpler way to make cider is to go and buy 18 litres of apple juice and a decent yeast - probably cheaper too.

Upon researching this topic it seems apparent that this is the case.
On a whim I purchased the blackrock kit and have since regretted my decision based on researching this site, hence my numerous posts on the topic.

I outta post this enthusiastically about beer!

Has anyone ever refunded a kit from point of sale???

I have made the black rock kit with a brewcraft brewbooster and it turned out fine, all who tasted it were very happy with it. That said i have since made cider with all juice and it is better and cheaper.

You're recipe seems fine, just stick to dex for 750g and forget the honey. I haven't used cinnamon before, but have heard good thing about it.

i would also try to keep the kit yeast a bit cooler than 24deg, maybe 20-21 deg if you can. It should ferment out faster than 3-4 weeks, though i have always found cider to be very slow to carbonate up in the bottle (6 week minimum, 3months better)

Cheers

SJ

When using only juice + yeast what alcohol % can you expect ??

When i did my all juice one (20 litres of juice), i threw in 1.6kgs of dextrose (just for a bit more kick). My OG was around 1075 and i got a FG of about 1002. This cider kicks like a mule!!!!

Cheers

SJ

JamesCraig- i'll try all juice next time. you're right it seems a lot simpler and cheaper, but as i already have the kit, that will have to do for now, cheers.

SJ- yeah 750g dextrose sounds good. i want it to be around the 5% mark.

Also, what would be a good amount of dextrose to bulk prime? 120g? 150g?

Anyone tried the apples in the stocking trick?

Hi Bowie,

To acuratly predict your alc % I would recomend using a hydrometer and adding extra dextrose until your desired starting gravity is reached. Cider usualy ferments quite low to something like 1.000 - 1.010, so for a 5% cider you would need a SG of 1.045. When I measured plain Beri Apple & Pear jiuce it was 1.040. So not much extra dex would be needed. You can find calculators online which can help with all the calculations.

As for the apples in a sock trick... I've made cider where I just put cut up apples in loose. They just float on the surface and seem to do well there. The sugar and then the alcohol seem to preserve the apple pieces a bit as they don't go brown for weeks.

I would also encourage you to make very simple recipes to start with so you can learn what gives what flavours and improve from there. Some expreienced brewer on here said that they have gone full circle with the blackrock kit and now just make it with plain sugar and no other additions. If you complicate a recipe with many additions of spices and all sorts of other things it will be very hard to know which taste is which, or if you have a funny flavour, what ingredient is resposible (or it could be a reaction of multiple ingredients).

I was given a Blackrock cider kit for Christmas. Although I like to make all juice cider I was keen to give this one a try. My plan is to make it up with plain sugar (1-2kgs) and maybe add some cut apples for the last week or so of fermentation. By keeping it simple I will know what this kit is cabable of for the future. Or I might do half the batch the basic way and go nuts with spices and things for the other half (this might be a good idea if you have the equipment)....

but that is just my 2c worth :)

Cheers,

Dave.

Great reply thanks Dave,

i think i will simplify the recipe based on your (and others) experience
should i rack into 2nd fermenter after a couple of weeks, then add sliced apples?
i am still keen to add 2L apple juice and perhaps 2L apple/pear
also keep the sugar/dex to 750g as i don't want to jack up the alc%
will take out the cinnamon, schnapps and lactose ideas?
i don't mind a dry cider
this will simplify things more

thanks again for your prompt reply
bowie

<snip> As for the apples in a sock trick... I've made cider where I just put cut up apples in loose. They just float on the surface and seem to do well there. The sugar and then the alcohol seem to preserve the apple pieces a bit as they don't go brown for weeks. </snip>
The browning of apples is due to oxidation (I'm not sure that the lack of it is attributable to the alcohol), so if they don't go brown for quite some time, you can be happy that your layer of CO2 is nice and steady. Perhaps we should all have a bit of apple in the top of our fermenters as an oxidation test? :p

Hi Bowie, Sorry I only just saw your reply.

I think adding the juice will be fine and if you do want to take the edge off the dryness adding a bit of lcatose will be good too. Disolving lactose isn't easy. Use hot water and stir for 5-10mins then add to fermenter.

I don't rack any of my beers to secondary, but if it makes you happy go for it. I find I get clear beer/cider if I just give it some time. I'd probably just open the fermenter and put the sliced apples in without racking after a week. Two weeks in primary is fine. 3 weeks is my limit (but I ferment cool at 18 degrees).

Once you do make this cider you should post your results in this thread so everyone can benifit from your experience.

Good luck.

I did a similar thing to SupraJim with my cider brew, except I threw in a few steeped cinnamon sticks and some split vanilla beans. I used a champagne yeast and it took off like a rocket, chewing down from 1.080 to 1.020 where I thought it was finished. It ended up a 'happy mistake' and seeing as I had bottled into plastic bottles they didn't explode and I had ~20L of champage on my hands.

Anywho...I think cinnamon is a good idea. Throw it in after the first few days and leave for a week, use a few sticks.

Cheers - boingk

Here is my tried and tested cider recipe that has cider drinkers quaffing for more

12 Litres 100% Apple juice no added flavours or preservatives (Bought from Aldi)
8 Litres Apple & Pear juice no added flavours or preservatives (Woolworths)
250-300 grams LDME (light dried powdered malt)
3-4 Apples granny smiths or Pink ladys cut into quarters added to fermenter
Wyeast 4766 Cider Yeast (this is imperative)

Ferment for 8-12 days then chill for 2 weeks at 2-3 degrees or cold filter
Keg and enjoy

Franko

Here is my tried and tested cider recipe that has cider drinkers quaffing for more

12 Litres 100% Apple juice no added flavours or preservatives (Bought from Aldi)

Keg and enjoy

Franko

What does the addition of LDME bring to the party Franko?

Ive made ciders in the past using apple juice and occasionally apple and pear juice and would never use any other yeast than 4766 but am intrigued by the LDME addition.

Cheers
DrSmurto

My recipe is ~20L of Berri Apple Juice and 4766 Wyeast smacker.

Fantastic and very simple

The juice is 99.9% apple juice with no preservatives. You can regularly get it for $1/L from the chain supermarkets in 3L bottles. It is reconstituted but I don't know if you could tell the difference.

btw - I rescued the trub from my last brew to repitch into the next one. Presumably any nutrients etc would have been consumed in the first brew, so does anyone know what/how much nutrient to add next time?

Cheers,

Tim

Keg and enjoy

Franko

Cheers Franko. Im gonna give this one a go :)

What temperature do you ferment at?

Cheers Dave, and thanks again guys for all the great input!
Gonna start cider on wednesday (just waiting for the hot day to pass, supposed to be 38C in Melbourne tomorrow)!!!
No temp controller just yet.

Went to the Yarra Valley wineries yesterday and bought two 375ml bottles of apple cider from one of the wineries. Was 7.5% alcohol and too sweet for my taste so i might drop the lactose for my recipe down to about 100-150g (was gonna go 250g).
Couldn't believe the pricepoint of $5.50 p/bottle or $30 a six pack! It was nice, but not THAT good.

I'll take your advice Dave and give lactose a good heat 'n' stir. In two minds as to rack or not. May just add apples after a week or so...
I plan on giving it a good three weeks or so to reach its FG .

Also, was at the local indian spice shop today and saw cinnamon "bark" for sale. I've never purchased cinnamon sticks before, so would this be the same thing? It was a pack of random sizes and looked just like bark off a tree and then bagged up.

Franko, I will definately try all juice and wyeast 4766 for my next cider. I have to use the blackrock kit first though.
Will keep this post updated for you all!

Cheers Dave, and thanks again guys for all the great input!
Gonna start cider on wednesday (just waiting for the hot day to pass, supposed to be 38C in Melbourne tomorrow)!!!
No temp controller just yet.

Went to the Yarra Valley wineries yesterday and bought two 375ml bottles of apple cider from one of the wineries. Was 7.5% alcohol and too sweet for my taste so i might drop the lactose for my recipe down to about 100-150g (was gonna go 250g).
Couldn't believe the pricepoint of $5.50 p/bottle or $30 a six pack! It was nice, but not THAT good.

I'll take your advice Dave and give lactose a good heat 'n' stir. In two minds as to rack or not. May just add apples after a week or so...
I plan on giving it a good three weeks or so to reach its FG .

Also, was at the local indian spice shop today and saw cinnamon "bark" for sale. I've never purchased cinnamon sticks before, so would this be the same thing? It was a pack of random sizes and looked just like bark off a tree and then bagged up.

Franko, I will definately try all juice and wyeast 4766 for my next cider. I have to use the blackrock kit first though.
Will keep this post updated for you all!

Heya Bowie,

Just thought I would point out that the lactose mixed with the apple juice smells a little spewy during the ferment :blink: (at least it has in my experience) but it fades out near the end.

Cheers

Mick

Hi all,
well the cider has been in the fermenter for 11 days and is tasting like a weak/watered down cider with a very mild apple taste.
My final, and very simple recipe was;

1 x blackrock cider kit
750g dextrose
125g lactose
top up to 19L (slipped up, was supposed to be 18L)
kit yeast @ 24C and threw in 4g of yeast nutrient aswell.

OG 1.035 (like i said very weak)
current gravity 1.008

So my questions now are;
should i rack to secondary and add a couple of litres of preservative free juice and a few sliced apples and leave until FG is reached?
should i just lift the lid on the fermenter, put these ingredients and give a good stir? (and not worry about racking until FG is reached)
i would like to give it a bit more body and flavour, is this possible?

cheers
Bowie

Latest posts

Back