Cider A Go Go

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McCraggen

Reaction score
G'day again, cool change is here so its time to make a go of this cider recipe i had in mind:

3x2.4L berri apple/pear
4x2.4L berri apple
Wyeast 4766
1KG dextrose
500g Lactose

Final Volume 20L

I am aiming for around 7% abv, I pitched the yeast a little hotter than usual 27-28C, but its only now showing signs of life, albeit slowly. Is a slow starting time characteristic of this yeast?

Did you pop in any yeast nutrient to that recipe? If not get hold of some, sterilize a spoon and drop in a teaspoon full and give it a little swirl.

:icon_cheers: SJ

I would say yes, yeast nutrient is essential. Cider doesn't have the nutrients that the yeast need like a beer wort does.

I would definitely be adding some nutrient. Did you aerate well too? Aeration and nutrients are essential for a nice clean fermentation in Cider.

I'd love to hear how you go with this recipe, it sounds very promising!

Yeah, as mentioned above, not as much nutritian in juice as there is a regular beer wort.

:icon_cheers: SJ

Well hot damn the cider lives! Took a complete 24 hours to get moving but moving it is, even exposed to 43C heat for several hours in the post those little yeasties are back in force!

I'm about to bottle a cider that's been in the fermenter for 4 weeks :huh: . It has been through hell and back with the Melbourne heat, but somehow has survived and doesn't taste too bad out of fermenter. At different stages i thought the yeast had perished but then it got kicking again. You have to give cider a long time to reach FG.

Will give a while to condition in bottle before drinking but i'll let you know how it goes,

Good luck
Bowie

I'm about to bottle a cider that's been in the fermenter for 4 weeks :huh: . It has been through hell and back with the Melbourne heat, but somehow has survived and doesn't taste too bad out of fermenter. At different stages i thought the yeast had perished but then it got kicking again. You have to give cider a long time to reach FG.

Will give a while to condition in bottle before drinking but i'll let you know how it goes,

Good luck
Bowie

What was your FG Bowie ?

I ask because mine came down 1.070 to 0.098 after two weeks and one day, so I threw it into bottles.

Allan - sounds like what happened to mine first time around. Only thing was I then bottled at ~1.020 and is dropped considerably from there. I was using plastic bottles though so it turned into champers, very nice indeed.

Give it a shot with a few bottles, double or triple prime them and see what happens. Make sure to use plastic or proper champers bottles, obviously.

Cheers - boingk

Allan, my FG is right on 1.000, but i'm waiting on a constant reading over 48 hours. My OG on the other hand was already quite low clocking it at 1.036 (mine was the blackrock kit).

Perhaps it will go even lower but in any case i'm gonna give it a good amount of dex to bulk prime :D

Careful priming...

atomic-explosion-4.jpg

Hey guys, just wondering what the FG would be for the recipe i posted above, im guessing fairly low since theres not any malt and the dextrose will leave completely.

hey you guy seem to no a lot about cider. ive done three cider 2x 22l and 1x 55l but they have all been can of goo jobs you reckon juice is better mine have been pretty good just a bit syrupy . and do you think adding half a dozen peeled a cored apples into the fermenter would help

Back