Cidar Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lastdrinks

Reaction score
Thinking of putting down my first cider soon, should be nice as the weather warms up. My question is, has anyone fermented out a cidar, keeged it and then added extra apple juice in the keg to sweeten it up?

I have read quite a few threads on sweetening cidars have heard adding extra apple juice when you pour a glass but adding it to the keg would be a good lazy mans method.

Surely one of the cidar fans has tried adding extra apple juice to the keg to sweeten it up and make it less dry. Any tips? Dont tell me i will have break new here.

I cant see any problem with doing this as my serving temp is 7c or 8c, so it wont start fermenting again.

Yep. I've done that. I have also added honey (that was really good) to back sweeten a bit. Just make sure the keg stays cold and you wont' have any problems. Sweeter ciders are much easier in kegs than ion bottles.

Cheers
Dave

better if you can stabilise it, but keeping akeg cool is safe enough, as the blow off will save your bacon if the yeasties start feasting.

Thanks for the responses. I plan to keg and carb, then pour a glass and add extra apple juice to the glass and work out the ratio that i am happy with. Then top up the keg to the same ratio.

Seems relatively simple.

Thanks for the responses. I plan to keg and carb, then pour a glass and add extra apple juice to the glass and work out the ratio that i am happy with. Then top up the keg to the same ratio.

Seems relatively simple.

Yep. Thats the way. One word of advice - add a little less than you think you need. Its very easy to overshoot and while you can add more, its very hard to take some out...

Cheers
Dave

Yep. Thats the way. One word of advice - add a little less than you think you need. Its very easy to overshoot and while you can add more, its very hard to take some out...

Cheers
Dave

Also if you plan on aging it, sweetness will return slowly, less is always better.
I like to add it to taste, take a hydrometer reading, then add to make the same gravity, rather than using measures

I've got one on tap at present. I just had a taste every day once gravity got to 1025 and when i liked the taste (@ 1015) crash chilled to -1. Then ran it through my filter couple of days later,was very slow at end thought i might have to clean the filter. Force carbonate and voila.
The main reason i tried this way was to keep the alcohol low like the french cidre, can have one or two at lunch on a hot day and not fall asleep !
Cheers

Latest posts

Back