Christmas In July 2010 Lotto

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad you enjoyed it Mants, it's been in the bottle for just over 6 months I reckon, bitterness was quite harsh at the start but mellowed considerably the last 2. Sadly I only have about 5 bottles left, and one is in the fridge ready for drinking tonight. I kinda worked this one off a Pliney The Elder recipe as well so the amount of hops that went in were amazing. Cheers for the feedback :icon_cheers:

What was the recipe? I'm after a big IPA to put down ready for summer.

QldKev

Hey Jord, you can post some feedback on the Citra amber ale of mine if you wish, cheers

2. WSC - Public: RECEIVED

English Mild-saison

Pours quite murky, nice head which remains.

Very slightly funky smell, presumably from the saison yeast. Body is very light, almost thin, quite thirst quenching when combined with the tartness from the yeast.

Very light hint of raisin in the finish, quite dry but with a little hint of sweet fruit.

I've only ever had a couple of saisons and never a homebrewed one but this kind of fits my idea of how they are - lowish alc, thirst quenching, should be drunk with some good bread and cheese. The closest I've come today was a chicken breast sandwich but I can say 'avez vous du fromage?' just to set the scene a bit better.

Just taking the edge of the slight case swap hangover that's been keeping me company today so a welcome beverage.

What's the yeast? - I might reculture

Cheers

I'm glad you enjoyed it.

This was my first go at this beer.It is about a month in the bottle and has smoothed out alot.

The yeast is 3711. It fermented pretty slow in this beer due to the cool weather but that has worked in it's favour.

I am hoping to make this a house yeast for me as I am happy with the flavour and the tartness/thirst quenching aspects. I have also done a pale saison with galaxy hops that has turned into a really great beer.

Thanks for taking the time to post the review.

4. Sydneyhappyhour- RECEIVED
6. beerDingo -
8. Argon -public: RECEIVED
10. Siborg - RECEIEVED
12. Isuxius - public
14. gulpa - public: RECEIVED
20.pike1973
22.Smilee
26. Haldini - public
28. Ratchie
30.beerhog - public: RECEIVED
32. AndrewQLD - public: RECEIVED
34. Homebrewer79 - public: RECEIVED
40. QldKev - public: RECEIVED
42. booyablack - public: RECEIVED
44.Smilee
52. Cocko: RECEIVED
58. O'Henry
70. Aussiechucka - private: RECEIVED

40. QldKev - public: RECEIVED: Coopers Pale ale

Pours fairly clear, golden colour with a thinnish head that eventually dissipates. Carbonation good without being spritzy. I probably could have left it a bit longer to get more in there but I actually don't like spritzy.

Aroma is of yeast and apples - kind of farm fresh.

Flavour is mildly sweet, apple and pear esters in the main but restrained, no banana. Very mild lingering bitterness.

This tastes very much like coopers pale ale except it has a real freshness on the palate. It's less yeasty because I decanted into a jug (I prefer my coopers unrolled) and I think it benefits from that.

There's a faint hint at the end that reminds me of very fresh Carlton Draught - I'm going to take a stab and say it's PoR although this is tasting very, very fresh if that makes sense. Even fresh carlton has a bit of a twang sometimes which could be isohop so maybe fresh hops/pellets in this makes the difference. I could be way off base.

Anyway a damn fine beer - I quite like the refreshing nature of many aussie beers but they can be either blandly cold or awful tasting when a bit warmer. This is not chilled (my house is though) so it's maybe 8 degrees and it exhibits no flaws (that I can tell anyway). Very tasty without relying on shedloads of hops or roast malts or anything in that vein.

Everything it's meant to be I reckon - a beer for both homebrewers and non brewers alike.

Cheers mate. Haven't had a dud beer yet so I reckon I'm doing very well.

When you get around to trying my ESB Manticle any feedback you can give would be very much appreciated. Public feedback is fine I have broad shoulders ;) Cheers!

40. QldKev - public: RECEIVED: Coopers Pale ale

Pours fairly clear, golden colour with a thinnish head that eventually dissipates. Carbonation good without being spritzy. I probably could have left it a bit longer to get more in there but I actually don't like spritzy.

Aroma is of yeast and apples - kind of farm fresh.

Flavour is mildly sweet, apple and pear esters in the main but restrained, no banana. Very mild lingering bitterness.

This tastes very much like coopers pale ale except it has a real freshness on the palate. It's less yeasty because I decanted into a jug (I prefer my coopers unrolled) and I think it benefits from that.

There's a faint hint at the end that reminds me of very fresh Carlton Draught - I'm going to take a stab and say it's PoR although this is tasting very, very fresh if that makes sense. Even fresh carlton has a bit of a twang sometimes which could be isohop so maybe fresh hops/pellets in this makes the difference. I could be way off base.

Anyway a damn fine beer - I quite like the refreshing nature of many aussie beers but they can be either blandly cold or awful tasting when a bit warmer. This is not chilled (my house is though) so it's maybe 8 degrees and it exhibits no flaws (that I can tell anyway). Very tasty without relying on shedloads of hops or roast malts or anything in that vein.

Everything it's meant to be I reckon - a beer for both homebrewers and non brewers alike.

Cheers mate. Haven't had a dud beer yet so I reckon I'm doing very well.

Thanks for the excellent feedback, glad you enjoyed the beer. As you picked, the hops were 28g of POR fresh flowers @ 60mins, (this years, thanks to Wolfy for the buy) and no other hops added.

I would like to try and get a slight bready flavour back into it so Ive been thinking of getting some fresh yeast from a bottle. The yeast culture I have is over a year old

I may have to get another one down soon, as I've drunk that entire batch.

QldKev

Thanks for the excellent feedback, glad you enjoyed the beer. As you picked, the hops were 28g of POR fresh flowers @ 60mins, (this years, thanks to Wolfy for the buy) and no other hops added.

I would like to try and get a slight bready flavour back into it so I've been thinking of getting some fresh yeast from a bottle. The yeast culture I have is over a year old

QldKev

Hope you saved some of that for the brew day Kev, I'm keen to sample it.

Andrew

I would like to try and get a slight bready flavour back into it so I've been thinking of getting some fresh yeast from a bottle. The yeast culture I have is over a year old

QldKev

No worries - thanks for the beer.

I made an aussie ale recently that had a breadiness which came from the addition of biscuit malt. I put biscuit in just about everything but for once it was out of place. However it might work well with the coopers yeast - mine was just US05 (and had a touch of acetyladehyde in it too which didn't help). Biscuit was dingemans biscuit - I find wey vienna gives a similar characteristic.

Don't think you'd have any trouble getting rid of another batch - real easy drinker that one.

I've still got a vac packed bag of thos PoR flowers from wolfy in the freezer - looking forward to making a couple of simple aussie style beers for summer barbecues.

@sydneyhappyhour - no worries mate.

4. Sydneyhappyhour- RECEIVED
6. beerDingo -
8. Argon -public: RECEIVED
10. Siborg - RECEIEVED
12. Isuxius - public
14. gulpa - public: RECEIVED
20.pike1973
22.Smilee
26. Haldini - public: RECEIVED
28. Ratchie
30.beerhog - public: RECEIVED
32. AndrewQLD - public: RECEIVED
34. Homebrewer79 - public: RECEIVED
40. QldKev - public: RECEIVED
42. booyablack - public: RECEIVED
44.Smilee
52. Cocko: RECEIVED
58. O'Henry
70. Aussiechucka - private: RECEIVED

And the day for naming and shaming of me grows ever closer...

I sent mine over a week ago so keep looking out for the camel!
:lol:

I sent mine last weekend. Damn expensive postal service. I'm sure they ripped me off.

26: Haldini: American Pale Ale

Pours clear amber with a fluffy head that dissipates quickly, laces the glass.

Aroma of fruity hops, some pine, maybe some crystal malt.

Carbonation spot on for me. More pine in the first sip. Very subtle sweetness, tiny hint of wood and a good whack of fruit. Lingering bitterness.

I'm starting to enjoy hoppy beers more and more especially when they have a little dimension.

Cheers

30: Beerhog: Orval clone (bottle 1)

First up - love the look of the wax seals but it took me 30 minutes to get into the bloody thing. I guess that stops you thinking it's a good idea to have at 2am when you're half tanked. Save it to savour properly.

Sat down to watch the Howling for the first time so trappist style beer drunk room temp with 70s horror and a fat cat on my lap. Smaller cat moved between cuddling my lady and running up and down the hallway.

Pours cloudy golden colour with a decent head. Aroma is sweetish and slightly funky. Bread and blue cheese.

Carbonation level is nice. Flavour is....well delicious. Tastes very much like orval but with a teeny touch more funk and a few other bits and pieces going on.

Damn tasty mate - I love Orval and will do a side by side with the second bottle and review it again but my favourite so far (orval is one of my favourite beers so to come close is a great achievement).

I expect a recipe and ferment schedule and I also expect to see you in a sour beer case swap at some point. Thanks

HAd a hell of a last week....Will promise to pack on Sunday and send on Monday. My apologies re delay. Cheers.

4: Sydneyhappyhour: ESB (Naomi's Bride ale)

Lovely label. Got myself a bt of pampering at the beautician before sitting down to enjoy this one. Love my new nails - unfortunately I cracked one opening the swing top.

Ran a bath with some aromatic salts and oils, put on some Enya, lit a candle and slid back into the path to pour.

Pours very clear, golden straw colour, tight head starts to form but bubbles at the top are larger due to low carb. Have I opened this one a bit early? Seems like it could do with another week or two at room temp for proper carbing (I know the style is low carb - would just help form a tighter head and a bit more sherbert).

Aroma is kind of sweet, touch of caramel.

Flavour is mainly chocolate. I mean really chocolate. It's sweet (but not cloying) with not much bitterness (although there is balance here).

Personally for an ESB I'd like a good whack more bitterness but this is a well made beer and considering the purpose it's made for, I think it works. I'm not a bride or bridesmaid but I reckon the ladies will love it. Definitely needs a touch more carb but clean, clear, sweet and flavoursome and such a simple pretty label. I almost feel like throwing caution to the wind and painting my toenails too.

LOL, Thanks heaps for the feedback Manticle it is very much appreciated. The beer was brewed in three batches for my sisters wedding I am thinking with the low carbonation you possibly got one from the last batch. The cold weather may not have done it any favors getting charged up, the first two batches I thought were a little over carbonated so I dropped the priming sugar back a touch on the last although it shouldn't have had that big an effect though.

Oh well we live and learn :icon_cheers:

Back