Chocolate Porter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jake.v

Reaction score
Hi all

I got a tin of cascades chocolate mahogany porter which im keen to brew been doing abit of searching but all the recipes i can find are AG just wanting to know other peoples experiences with this kit i was thinking

1.7kg kit
500g dark malt extract
250g dex
250g maltodextron
100g of 85% cocoa lindt chocolate
12g fuggles 30 minutes
12g fuggles 10 minutes

*Ill do a small boil with the DDME for the chocolate and hops then add the rest at flameout

cheers jake

Ive done this kit before and it has turned out more off an amber ale than porter, but still a very nice kit to do. Personally I feel the ingriedents you have listed will not get you to the style. I might suggest using a can of morgans choc malt you may need to up the hops though with a big malt extract like that. On the hand you could use a can coopers dark ale instead, i did a good porter-esc beer using 2 cans.

Hope that helps.

Jan

i have some morgans dark ale extract with that much malt what sort of hop additions to you suggest?

Not sure, on the quanties of hop to use how much malt were you thinking?

The first porter I made was with this kit, I used Windsor yeast but I had not found hop additions by that point. It came out with a slight smoke and grape flavour in a good way. If I was to suggest anything, ditch the maltodex and use 1 kg of ddme and use cocoa powder instead of the lindt (eat it instead). That kit is a winner but you can't taste the choc in the can.

Unsweetened cocoa powder can go in at bulk priming time so it doesn't get stripped out by the yeast in ferment / settle out prior to bottling. 100g in a 25L batch is ball park

Also, Lindt = :icon_drool2:

I'm glad someone else has mentioned this. I recently bought a lindt brand "blueberry sensation" chocolate and thought it would be sensational in a porter. It has a mild blueberry taste with hazel nuts.
I have read in previous forums that chocolate can produce dodgy oils but no-one else has mentioned this. I have also read that chocolate is best included at a stage similar to dry hopping (about 3 or 4 days into fermentation) and I would assume crushed up or melted. I don't pretend to know much about this but if there are others with more knowledge please give your expert opinion. I would be interested to know.

most recipes i found included chocolate but didnt mention when it was added surely someone will know and will share it with us soon keen to get it down for a nice winter beer

cheers jake

I'm glad someone else has mentioned this. I recently bought a lindt brand "blueberry sensation" chocolate and thought it would be sensational in a porter. It has a mild blueberry taste with hazel nuts.
I have read in previous forums that chocolate can produce dodgy oils but no-one else has mentioned this. I have also read that chocolate is best included at a stage similar to dry hopping (about 3 or 4 days into fermentation) and I would assume crushed up or melted. I don't pretend to know much about this but if there are others with more knowledge please give your expert opinion. I would be interested to know.

most recipes i found included chocolate but didnt mention when it was added surely someone will know and will share it with us soon keen to get it down for a nice winter beer

cheers jake
I've used choc several times and never had any issues with head retention/formation.Some people add melted choc or cocoa powder in the boil,i personally like to add cocoa ,in a slurry ,after primary has begun.A nice technique for a beer you intend to lager is to melt about 400/500gms of Lindt :icon_drool2: ,pour it into a secondary to form a thin layer on the bottom,then rack into secondary on top of the choc and lager for several weeks to take up the flavour, :icon_cheers:

I have a choc coffee porter on ferment at the moment. I used 100g of cocoa in the boil, pre and post high krausen the brew has had what best can be described as milkshake like bubbles on top of the beer, it is tasting great from the hydrometer tube. I also used 300g of choc malt grain (I cracked it this time) which has given it a great coffee bitter taste.

sounds nice i want it think but not stouty might add the lindt during the boil then the coco on day 3 or 4

I found it about as close to a Chocolate Porter as a Fish Milkshake.
Consolation was the bottled beers that I kept for around 14 months were sensational in an oxidised kinda way.
Try it.

something to look forward too lol will let yous know how it goes

Back