Recipe Advice - Choc Vanilla Porter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GNU

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm fairly new to home brewing (6 batches) and this is my first time without a kit can and using grains.

Looking for any advice on the following recipe/techniques for this Choc Vanilla Recipe my local helped me throw together

1.7kg Light Liquid Malt Extract
1.7kg Amber Liquid Malt Extract
500g Caramalt
500g Chocolate Malt
Yeast s-04
50g Fuggles Pellets
2 Vanilla Beans

Combine malts and grains with 5L of water and bring to the boil
Hop addtions
60mins @ 36g Fuggles
15mins @ 9g Fuggles
Strain into FV
Top up to 21L
Add Vanillia beans & yeast.
Day 10 add remaining Fuggle (5g) from the packet. What else can I to do with 5g?
Bottle around day 18-21 (no cold crash, as I don't have the resources)

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated

When you say LME and AME
Do you mean Light Liquid Malt Extract and Amber Liquid Malt Extract or the dry versions?
Also, 11% crystal (caramalt) is a lot, you might want to bring that down a little, possibly 6-8%

I wouldn't be boiling your grains for 60 minutes (or at all for that matter).
You'll probably need to steep them then strain and boil the liquid with the malt.

sp0rk said:
When you say LME and AME
Do you mean Light Liquid Malt Extract and Amber Liquid Malt Extract or the dry versions?
Also, 11% crystal (caramalt) is a lot, you might want to bring that down a little, possibly 6-8%
I'm using Light Liquid Malt Extract and Amber Liquid Malt Extract.

The grain was what the guy in the Local shop recommended, happy to try something else.

gsouth said:
I wouldn't be boiling your grains for 60 minutes (or at all for that matter).
You'll probably need to steep them then strain and boil the liquid with the malt.

How long should I steep the grains for? Temp? Was unsure on this, due to the malt extract

GNU said:
How long should I steep the grains for? Temp? Was unsure on this, due to the malt extract
Boiling the grain will extract tannin's and do other unwanted things.

I would recommend steeping the grains ~70C.
Steep them in 2.5L for ~20-30 min and then strain them. Then Give them another 10 min in 2.5L more of water @ ~75C and strain that.
Bring the 5L of collected wort to the boil (will be a little less as the grain will absorb some).
Then do your hopping scheduled listed.

I would also recommend against dry hopping with the fuggle even if it is only 5g (not many people like the effect fuggle gives as a dry hop). I think you are better off cucking it late in the boil ~5-10 to go. Or add it to your 15 min addition.

Latest posts

Back