High FG Questions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
black_labb said:
Was I the only one to notice that he was fermenting S04 at 16*C?

S04 can be known for stalling early and floccing out, especially at low temperatures. I see no issue fermenting at 16* at the start but I would be warming it up as it starts to slow down, probably up to 21*. At this point I would be warming it up to say 23* and swirling (not splashing) the fermenter to rouse the yeast or racking as described in the bottom of my post. The first part of the fermentation process is where most of the esters and yeast derived flavours come from and warming it up at the end doesn't tend to change or add to the yeast character to any appreciable degree as long as you don't go overboard.
Hey Black_labb is it ok to raise s05 up to 21* for the last couple of days of fermentation? I currently have two brews going simultaneously one s04 and one s05. They have been brewing around 16* for the first 4 days of fermentation and now I was going to turn up to 21* in regards to what you said about s04. I think in the future I will only brew with one type of yeast at a time, I didn't realise the temperature could have such an effect on the yeasts productivity. They put such large temperature ranges on the packets!

It's fine to raise US05 up to 21 yes. I do this all the time even though it's probably unnecessary.

Elvish the ideal temp range for S04 is 15>20C so you are well within the range at 16 although I set mine at 18C and never have stalling problems

Back