Chocolate In Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fasty73

Reaction score
Probably been covered, but here goes. I had a piece of chocolate then a mouthful of beer and was really nice. How do I put it into my brew? I have about 400 grams of the chocolate left. Here is my idea, I boil my dextrose in 2 litres of water to mix it, I am thinking of putting the chocolate in with the dextrose to melt it and then dump the dextrose/chocolate mix into the fermenter. What do you think?

Probably been covered, but here goes. I had a piece of chocolate then a mouthful of beer and was really nice. How do I put it into my brew? I have about 400 grams of the chocolate left. Here is my idea, I boil my dextrose in 2 litres of water to mix it, I am thinking of putting the chocolate in with the dextrose to melt it and then dump the dextrose/chocolate mix into the fermenter. What do you think?
It all depends.What are you brewing? An ale or lager?

YEP, kit yeast. I went to my LHBS but he doesn't keep US05.

read this link about brewing with chocolate:
http://beer.about.com/od/beerandchocolate/...colate-Beer.htm

The earlier any ingredient is added the less of the more delicate aspects of that ingredient will be apparent in the beer. So, adding chocolate at the beginning of the boil is much like adding it to the mash. But when chocolate is added during the last fifteen minutes or so it will have a strong presence in the flavor and the aroma of the final beer.

never tried it myself, but give it a go and report back,

Bjorn

Can of Tooheys Lager.
Wow! I really thought you were talking about accentuating the choc flavour in a stout/porter/bock,etc.Choc in a pale lager isn't anything i'd ever really considered But if thats a flavour combo that you personally like,then go for it reckon :icon_cheers: I've added choc to quite a few brews ,but generally only with a grist bill that has a fair wack of choc malt to start with.I remember Matilda Bay's 'Crema' a few years ago,a bit one dimensional i thought ,but i loved that they could get such a coffee flavour in such a pale beer.If you're prepared to use a liquid yeast and prepared to undertake a proper lagering period ,i think i might have a method. that might work.without changing the beers colour

Your average regular eating chocolate contains milk so do you want to add that to your beer ? An 80% block might be OK but you should try pure cocoa.

Oh and fasty, with a lot of chocolate accented beers, is more often the use of spec. grains and not actually any theobroma. That's part of the magic of brewing. My suggestion would be for you to try a beer using a can of dark ale kit, some brown grain and some choc grain. Back in the days of K & B I ripped out a very passable chocolate porter with a similar combo. If I find the recipe I will post it if youre interested.

boil the chocolate with the wrapper on , then add at bottling

YEP, kit yeast. I went to my LHBS but he doesn't keep US05.

I think you need a new LHBS! I hope you mean he had run out, not he just doesn't stock it. That's a pretty basic staple.

Your average regular eating chocolate contains milk so do you want to add that to your beer ? An 80% block might be OK but you should try pure cocoa.

Correct. Don't use ordinary milk chocolate as you will not get any head forming because of the fat in it. Dark chocolate with a high cocoa% 80% or powdered cocoa with no additives is what you want.

you'd have to go somewhere other than Coles to get US05.
Try a site sponsor?

I did actually go to a Home Brew shop, it was the one in Burleigh and he doesn't stock US 05 at all. Pretty slack, he only had 2 different types of yeast.
How much cocoa powder powder or chocalate essence?

Fasty you really do not want to add chocolate to a lager type beer. Add it to a dark ale, porter or stout and youll be on the money.
Try a can of old ale or stout and a 500g of dry malt extract then on day 2 (after ferment starts) boil up a cup of cocoa with 250g of dry malt extract let cool and add it to the fermenting beer then the next day boil up 500g of 80% dark choc with 250g of dry malt extract let cool and add to fermenter. When ferment is finished cold crash the beer for at least 10 days to let all the left over choc turn to hard sludge on the bottom of your fermenter.

Cheers

I brewed a choc stout using 500g of 72% cocoa solids choc boiled for the full hour. The taste was sensational. It did however dissipate with time. I also brewed one recently with using only immitation choc essence in the keg (and in the bottle) it scored rather well in a recent beer comp.

Cheers

I did actually go to a Home Brew shop, it was the one in Burleigh and he doesn't stock US 05 at all. Pretty slack, he only had 2 different types of yeast.

Fasty, me ol' mate. You need to think about mail-order via the internet. As I suspected, you are already moving away from the kits and getting into bits & bobs, so think about a few things you want, the order from an online HBS. When you get a couple of hop varieties, half a dozen dry yeasts, and some weights of spec. grain, the postage fee is justified, and its not that much. Im in NSW and generally order online, although not from a site sponsor, and over $100 the postage is free. But a brewing mate also in NSW regularly orders from QLD and its still worth it. So dont let your local supplier dictate what you use in a brew. Quite frankly it sounds like a shitty place anyway. For chrissakes dont take his advice either !

Latest posts

Back