Chipping a Diesel

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Toyota had the better motor but nissan had better gearboxes and diffs

They where just stronger. Cruiser motors did 300k with out issue...but their gearboxes would blow before 200

When i was on the railways cruisers allways had gearbox problems.

Just one of those things. Mind you they where flogged...and flogged...and flogged

Funny story, a neighbour tried to park his hilux up on a dirt pile to flex the suspension but one of the back wheels just lifted up
I went up and parked my Subaru Liberty the same way and had a lot more flex...

My 80 series is coming up to 400k. Never had a problem with the engine(4.5l). Never had a problem with the gearbox. Never had a clutch replaced. And I drive it like it's stolen. In the time I've owned it I've replaced atleast three Pootrol clutches and overhauled two Pootrol 3.0L's (who designed that timing cover?). Proof is in the eating I guess.

I will admit the yotas are bulletproof, just never been a fan
I wouldn't touch a 3.0L Patrol if you gave it to me, though

Everyone knows Nissan 3ltrs are shithouse, well the up to 2005 anyway, but everything else on the car is near on bullet proof. Wanna know what else is shit, the V8 cruiser engines, they have more of a rattle and burn more oil then my Chinese brand tractor, they do go when u put the right foot down though.

Quoted from working on them in a fleet circumstance.

I have a 2.8ltr TD patrol wagon, everyone hates that engine, I admit its gutless down low, and towing heavy loads up hills, but it does the job and more for me and my camping and 4wdriving adventures. I had the chance to fuk it off, but I chose to spend the money and rebuild.

Yeah.....the V8 cruisers have some big isues...but man do they go....even.non turbo

sp0rk said:
Some people put those V8s into Celicas...
Some people need to stop smoking ice, there are a lot better engines to use that would be in the same kind of ballpark $$$' e.g. The mighty Duramax.

The thing I've found with anything pre common rail diesel is they're fuel tolerant. My FIL's 80s Sahara 4.2l keeps going and going on original pump and injectors. You put a wet tank of diesel in anything modern and the high pressure pump shits itself and you're up for a lazy $1500 just for a new pump. If it gets to the injectors you could be looking at $1000 per injector. And that's just parts. Add to that labour and programming ( can't just swap injectors willnilly nowadays) and your spending big coin. Factory warranty don't cover fuel quality and there's been a lot of insurance claims against service stations recently. Aftermarket water traps are a wise investment IMO.

Extra dollars, costs extra to put it in and they make more if water gets through. Everything far too commercial for my liking now, every prick trying to take your hard earned dollars off you

Most modern filters are designed to separate some level of water but you fill up from the old tanks in wombat gully and you gets whats youse pays for. Old stations generally mean old tanks.

Sort reminds me of a tractor I rebuilt. 1960's Internation B414. That thing was unbreakable...It got to the point where it had a bad drug habbit just to start it. I used to run.it till it boiled dry and would seize.up....go back next day....more drugs and off it would go....till it boiled dry and seized...

When i pulled it down one of the pre combustion chambers had broken and took a chunk out of the piston...i found a snake had got into the head via the radiator....most of the rings where broken..it used to blow more smoke thru the oil breather than the exhaust...and inside the block was like bitumen......

Suprisingly the crank only needed grinding 20thu and 10thu on the rods.A complete rebuild kit with sleeves and pistons was about $500....total rebuild cost inc maching etc was only around $1000. Add another 600 to get injectors serviced and pump recalibtated and bingo....get another 40yrs from it. Mind you I assembled it.

The old man has a new navara, first thing I got him to do was install an aftermarket fuel/water sperator.

Not just old servo's have water, its pretty common knowledge not to fill up straight after the fuel tanker has been through filling up the servo tanks, as they stir everything up. And we just had a massive job replacing fuel filters and draining fuel tanks about a month ago, as a BP servo on the highway just north of Grafton, had its tanks filled up by a BP tanker truck, and inside that tanker was a shitload of water, so a few hundred people got hit with that one fukup....

That servo is a fair way north of Grafton by about 40k...Its actually at McLean......but anyways..

Well that's just north if you are driving from Melbourne to Cairns.

Latest posts

Back