Chilling your wort

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also use one of these to tighten the cap of the cube, helps ensure a good seal.

SPANNER1.jpg

Nullnvoid said:
My work provided me one a few years ago when I left. It's now come in handy now I cube :)
Funny that, work provided mine as well, also now very handy. :p ;)

I bought one of these for opening pool chlorine container lids after ripping a nail off trying to open a tight one years ago, you really can seal those cubes up tight.

Cheers guys I don't think my work will give me one though, where could I find one to purchase????

Would a good HB shop stock them?

Grain and Grape sell em at pretty reasonable price or try a plastics place. Bunnings ones are usually out of stock and overpriced.

I'm a big fan of no-chilling although I've never used any other method. It works for me because I don't have to schedule brew days to fit with when the FV is empty etc. I used to brew 23 litre batches but I ended up getting 25 litre cubes so now I brew 25 litre batches. The extra 1-2 litres they hold is lost to trub anyway, or at least I try to keep it out of the FV.

Beamer said:
Thanks guys this is all very helpful info,

Im thinking ill do it this way: Siphon wort into sanitised cube, turn on side for several minutes, allow to chill for several hours place in temp controlled fridge over night and then tip in to sanitised fermentor (with a good stir to get some oxygen in there) then pitch yeast starter following morning?

Any tips on squeezing out air of the cube?
Re syphoning:

http://byo.com/hops/item/33-20-tips-for-better-brewing

"...One reason people have problems siphoning is because they begin by keeping the outlet end of the hose below the top level of the liquid from which they are siphoning. Wrong!

The secret is to keep the outlet end of the siphon hose above the top level of the liquid from which you are siphoning when you start to pull the liquid.

Stand up straight, with the siphon hose draping down from the pick-up tube back up to your mouth, forming a U-shaped loop. Suck on the siphon starter; the wort will travel down and up the siphon hose, stopping at a level equal to the top level of the wort in the kettle. (Practice this with water until you get it down.) Remove the copper tubing from the end of the siphon hose, replace it with the aeration tube described above, pinch the hose, and drop it into the fermenter..."

http://byo.com/hops/item/33-20-tips-for-better-brewing

The keggle im looking at purchasing is coming with a ball lock, I have used the wrong term!!!! (Sorry rookie mistake)

I'm lead to believe that I attach the hose to the barb in the ball lock valve, open it up and voila let gravity do the work.

That's pretty much how it works, yeah. I normally only open it about half way though, minimises the disturbance to the trub at the bottom.

Latest posts

Back