Chilling Possibilities

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brizzybrew,

whereabouts in Brisbane are you?

I went to Reeces, expressed my concern about the price of the annealed copper given I just wanted to make beer with it, he gave it to me at trade and underestimated the length, knocked about $30 off. Worth a go.

Another source is your local scrapyard, have seen part rolls of unused copper at our scrapyard, you may need a joiner or two, and you may need to make a few trips.

Amazing the amount of goodies there. Nice ss ball valves, including the ones you can pull apart, plus plenty of other slightly less shiney SS gear.

Hi Ross I am in Auchenflower. I am in the process of building/designing my system (planning to build a full electric brewery, with a HERMS system, current design specifications is compact electic powered and using 3 kegs)

Ross, where is the scrap yard that you got yoru copper from? Does ti have a lot of stuff?

I'm not sure of anywhere on the northside where I might be able to find this kinda thing...

sluggerdog said:
Ross, where is the scrap yard that you got yoru copper from? Does ti have a lot of stuff?

I'm not sure of anywhere on the northside where I might be able to find this kinda thing...
[post="58092"][/post]​

I got mine from S&M metals in Lawnton - not that far from you - they used to get a lot of those coils still in their packaging, but not sure they still get them - worth a try though...

plus you have 2 scrap yards in Redcliffe that you could try...

Just wento down to the local scrapyard and got some copper coil, not sure how much I got but it seems to be enough. Total cost: $13.

Pic is attached... easy!

I think I will pump water through this with a pump, is any pump good? like somethign I can pick up at bunning? Would probably use water from the sink with ice blocks and re-circulate this....?

my_chiller.jpg

sluggerdog said:
Just wento down to the local scrapyard and got some copper coil, not sure how much I got but it seems to be enough. Total cost: $13.

Pic is attached... easy!

I think I will pump water through this with a pump, is any pump good? like somethign I can pick up at bunning? Would probably use water from the sink with ice blocks and re-circulate this....?
[post="58182"][/post]​

Exactly what I do SD, have a look at the pic and description of the pump on the first page of this thread. I use old milk bottles, etc., and refreeze for next brew day.

Thanks Duff, Will go down to bunnings and see what I can find.

The pump doesn't need to be too powerful does it? WOuld like to spend less then $20 if possible, I think I have seen pond pumps down there for about $15 from memory.

sluggerdog said:

Pic is attached... easy!

[post="58182"][/post]​

Slugger,

It was 10m - I had already given them a call for you - looks good :super:

I use a boat bilge pump submerged in iced water...

pond pump should work great...

Ross said:
pbrosnan,

much easier to pass the cold water through the coils rather than the hot beer, I made mine with an old boat bilge pump i had & $10 worth of copper tube from the local srcap yard...

Ross,
I take it that your immersion chiller is 1\2" copper tube & not 3\8"?? I'm looking for a length as close to 18 metres as possible & Bunnings up the Coast is $91 for 18 metres of 3\8". I will be driving to Brisbane on 20th June & will have limited time to look for tubing. :( Is S&M Metals the best gamble on Northside for what I need ?? :blink: :blink:

PS. ---- Has anyone ever had problems with coiling 1\2" tubing to suit a keg or Pot?

Tidalpete said:
PS. ---- Has anyone ever had problems with coiling 1\2" tubing to suit a keg or Pot?
[post="62891"][/post]​

I used 1/2" for mine to suit a converted keg boiler, it worked fine - I used a round pressure cooker with the handle removed as a guide.

hth

Tidalpete - yeah I would try S&M metals however ti is a gamble, sometimes they have it, sometimes they don't.

They told me they empty their bins on fridays so it is best to come thurdsday arvo/friday morning when the bins are at their fullist.

Tidalpete said:
Ross,
I take it that your immersion chiller is 1\2" copper tube & not 3\8"?? I'm looking for a length as close to 18 metres as possible & Bunnings up the Coast is $91 for 18 metres of 3\8". I will be driving to Brisbane on 20th June & will have limited time to look for tubing.
[post="62891"][/post]​

Guys its been said many times before if you want 3/8 tubing go to a refrigeration parts supply store. 3/8 is a standard refrigeration size so it will be cheaper there than at a plumbing supplier or bunnings where 1/2 or 15mm as they call it is a standards size.

As for coiling the coil, get a piece of plastic pipe like orange electrical conduit about a foot long. Bend it to match a similar radius to the coil size you are after then screw it down to a piece of board with some saddles anchor the board to someting solid and start to feed your copper tube into it. It will begin to bend as it is passed through the plastic bend, you may need to lubricate it with some washing up liquid but it wil form nice coils.

Alternately wrap it around a keg!

Cheers ausdb

Guys its been said many times before if you want 3/8 tubing go to a refrigeration parts supply store. 3/8 is a standard refrigeration size so it will be cheaper there than at a plumbing supplier or bunnings where 1/2 or 15mm as they call it is a standards size.

Ok i'm putting my flame suit on here, but a mate of mine who is a refrigeration mechanic has told me that standard 3/8 plumbing fittings will not fit on 3/8 refrigeration copper. He said it was something to do with plumbers using an external diameter and fridgies using an internal diameter so the pipes are actually different sizes.
Again the flamesuit is on as i'm a chemist and not a plumber or a fridgie!

Tidalpete said:
[post="62891"][/post]​

Hi Tidalpete,

You've seen my 1/2 inch chiller/mess, for the scap yard addition to the chiller, I wrapped it around a keg, but had to reshape it to fit my kettle. It was neat after it was coiled, it's only messing looking after I made some improvements. You wont have a problem.

Latest posts

Back