Chilli Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

legham

Reaction score
Hi guys,

thinking about brewing a chilli beer. have searched the recipes and found nothing. has anyone tasted a chilli beer before, any tips.

cheers

sorry guys murphys law. just found one.

sorry.

I have tried outback brewery's chilli beer, I liked it.... I have 8 different species of chilli plants growing, would like to know of any recipes for chilli beer as I could not find any!!!

I would hazard a guess that a process similar to making fruit beer could be utilised.

There is an article in the wiki articles section on fruit beers. Chilli is always happy to lend its spice to something it's in contact with.

Only ever tasted one - I love chilli and I enjoyed the beer but I think I'd rather have a beer with a mongolian hotpot rather than a mongolian hotpot IN my beer if you know what I mean.

Ive brewed quite a few chilli beers, Kits and All grain.

With the kit I used the Cerveza, brew enhancer. I just chopped up the chillis along with kaffir lime leaves (about 6) sprayed them with no rinse and threw them in the fermenter.

It was the best Kit I ever brewed.

I did a bit of a variation on Katie's Coopers Mex Chili beer. Nice one KT. :icon_cheers:

Came out very well after a few months bottle time.

link to mex cerva thread.

post #277

Good to hear TB... the kaffir can be full on! Mine seemed to balance out perfectly.

My all grain attempt was not as good unfortunatly!

With the kit I used the Cerveza, brew enhancer. I just chopped up the chillis along with kaffir lime leaves (about 6) sprayed them with no rinse and threw them in the fermenter.

thanks will give that one ago

Katie, was that using a ale yeast? I've been thinking of something similar, this one sounds good...will give it a try. Alos, how much chilli did you use?

Cheers

I've made a bundle of chilli beers - some good, some bad.

I would recommend the smallest chillies you can get - I've got pequins growing that are about 8mm long. I then dry them. This seems to reduce the oil content, as I think too much oil effects the head retension.

I put 2 tablespoons of dried pequins into a cervessa kit, then dry hop with cascade.

Cheers,
Tim

Katie, was that using a ale yeast? I've been thinking of something similar, this one sounds good...will give it a try. Alos, how much chilli did you use?

Cheers

I used the kit yeast, no temp control either.

About 10 of the little red ones. I put some in bottles also but that didnt work well! Be careful with the kaffir lime leaf as it can be over powering. Takes a while for the flavours to balance out but when they do its great. Well it worked with the two kits i did! I did two All Grain versions they sucked! The beer was good just didnt get the chilli and lime right.

I would use something like MT Hood if you were to hop it!

I tried a damn-tasty chili-E.S.B. at a comp last Sunday. The brewer used a single drop of Blair's Mega Death hot sauce in a 750ml bottle (obviously applied at bottling). OT: stupid clip but will give you an idea to the 550,000 scoville units (picture this in a beer!)

Chili-beers seem to be a love or hate thing. They can also be entirely overpowering, where brewing a 25L batch of something has the real potential of being "undrinkable". I mention the 'single-drop' method above as it may be the "safer" route to seeing if you like it (chili beer) or not.

Having said that, there are some incredibly flavoursome chili-beers like Rogue's smoked chipotle ale which, no doubt, has been crafted on 13 different levels.. guessing chili's in the mash, secondary and more. Reference Tony's recent attempt at this Chipotle ale, for further direction here.

Have fun,
reVox

Last edited by a moderator:

The chilli lady's not kidding! The second one was in danger of running out by the time it was carbed...
Brew enhancer I or dex is the go.

Great, will try it with some small peri peri chillies of my plant!!

i have blairs ultra death and chili factorys scorpion strike might have to half half the batch or 3rd it with some non chili editions

Back