Chilli! All Things Chillies.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That comment was a bit Rat Shit.

Rat Shit Chilli.jpg

พริกขี้หนู

Ted, at it again with a genuinely frighteningly looking bhutla.
You can also buy the seeds if you like. I think I'll be right..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sI2SkKCMRVU

Good on him, but I know the pain and have given up on eating raw super hots. Maybe it was the pain, the suffering, feeling like I shouldn't have to prove myself to myself or maybe it was when I started spraying the toilet bowl with blood. Obviously I'm going to have a few in the garden, but I think they are going to be relegated to sauce additions.

I have a rule now that Habaneros are the hottest you should chow down on, because that's what nature intended :) . Mmmm, are Ghosts natural? I think they might be. There goes that theory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9cB6Tu5_28

So has anyone had success growing Poblano's ?
I got some seeds a while ago and none of them have sprouted.

I saw they are back in Coles at $17/kg mind you but it's a good place to get some seeds.
I stuffed the last lot I got and they were delicious !

shaunous said:
I'll look into this Xanthan Gum. Sounds like it's got a place in my kitchen.
Yes, the X Factor. As indica86 stated: use it sparingly, it is a brilliant additive, chefs use it regularly for different sauces and dressings.

Add a very small amount whilst blending, and if it doesn't thicken within 20sec, add a little more, and repeat etc. Be warned though, too much and you'll have glue.

I'm highly fucked off...none I my overwintered chillies have survived !

10 plants (jalepenos/cayenne/habanero) all dead. I didn't do anything differently to previous years, a hard trim back, clean cuts with sharp blades etc.

The only thing I can think is there was something nasty on the seccys I used to trim them all back? Other than that, I'm stuck. I've stripped them down and rubbed over with 70% alcohol.

Anyways, I still have my Rocotto and I went and bought 2 Jalepeno seedlings yesterday so I'll at least have crops for stuffing and smoking.

Mate, Melbourne has just had its' longest & coldest winter in 27 years. I wouldn't be blaming yourself for the environmental effects.

I have had a couple of peppers going for about four years, they are in a sheltered spot and I noticed an Italian gardener close by has kept his egg plant alive it is about 7 foot tall and in the winter he put a clear plastic bag over it.
As it is related to the chili maybe the plastic bag will work, though in saying that I had a birds eye chili that went for about 7 years without doing anything to it before it karked it.

They are going to keep growing year after year no matter where you are.
I always leave some fruit in the plant to over risen and drop as well as hit the compost heap.
That way there are always some growing.

I lost my Carolina Reaper and Trinidad Scorpion over the winter down Geelong way, all my jalepenos survived though.

indica86 said:
They are going to keep growing year after year no matter where you are.
It gets cold down here mate. They don't like it. Looks like I've lost 2 Cayennes, Habanero (My mate told me no way), Guajillo, Raja, some Hot Thai and the Butch T could be cactus gone but still have hope.

Lemon Aji stem still green, Cascabel alive, all the plants that grew from that dried chilli mix I posted about are looking healthy as, Jalapeños "might" pull through as they were in a protected area and Purple Tigers always pull through, although they are never the same.

The GF asks me why I grow Purple Tigers as they aren't very utilitarian. Well, I just do. Apart from being a beautiful plant, for the last 10 years I've sowed the seeds from the last lot and I'm not going to stop now. Actually got a cross last year and I can't think of any other chilli I grow that would cross it like that. Those crazy Bees.

It's all good though, got a mini green house with 25 spaces planted with loads of different seeds.. Although none have come up yet, they will. Hopefully my hand crossed Jalapeño x Purple tiger seeds germinate. Different families so the odds aren't fantastic, but even 1 plant will be a win.

And what an absolute pearler of a Chilli. If I had to choose seeds when riding to the hills on my bike when the asteroid was coming, it would be Lemon Aji.

Brew Forky said:
And what an absolute pearler of a Chilli. If I had to choose seeds when riding to the hills on my bike when the asteroid was coming, it would be Lemon Aji.
Just as in Friday bought me some seeds of these amongst a few others from the hippy seed co. So hears to hoping I love them that much as well.

Has anyone grown the 'Bhut Jolokia Fiery Furnace' was going to order some seeds from UK but I saw mention it was a F1, tried to Google for clarification but am none the wiser.

Heads up for anyone who has run out of the Cock Brand Sriracha sauce that was on at Aldi a few months ago, Woolies are stocking it for about $4.

Bribie G said:
Heads up for anyone who has run out of the Cock Brand Sriracha sauce that was on at Aldi a few months ago, Woolies are stocking it for about $4.
Mmmmm, i found this at Coles a month or two ago, I have it on everything.

Delicious

First mini harvest of the season.

IMG_5576.JPG

Slight differences in each of the red cayenne plants, a few red ripe jalapenos plus orange & yellow habs.

Pretty happy with the orange habs vibrant colour but disapointed with the faded looking yellow variety
First time growing the yellow and I was expecting bright yellow, oh well I'm sure they're hot !

The jalapeno plants are chockers with green fruit and I'm hoping to get a good harvest when the ripen to red to smoke them into chipotle peppers.

Latest posts

Back