Chilli! All Things Chillies.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I planted a few seeds yesterday, hopefully they sprout and the little animals that seem to eat the seedlings stay away (I would really like to know whats doing it)

Red habanero, orange habanero, birds eye, jalapeno, red cayenne, yellow cayenne, long sweet yellow, poblano, serano & capsicum.

What's everyone planting this spring ?

I have been collecting all sorts of seeds from people over the last season. A few I'm really looking forward to are Coyote Zan White, Tasmanian Habanero and Jolokia x Seven Pod.. I've also got this really long rare red chilli that I forget the name of that will be interesting.

What I'm looking forward to most is a Jalapeno that I hand pollinated with a Purple Tiger. My first attempt at crossing chillis, so hopefully it works as planned.

With some regret I looked at a range of exciting chilli seeds today, with the realization that the kids wont have a bar of anything cooked with them.

Have some birds eye chilli plants that produce incredible crops that feed the rats under the bonnet of my wifes car..........

Now that I think of it though, chilli sauce could be a goer if I grow something a little less likely to induce intestinal aggravation than made from the ones I have.

And I was acually looking for some bell pepper (?) seeds so I can make the little cheese stuffed bell pepper chilli things that are sold at Coles - they are the goods.

Anyone know exactly what they are called?

Danwood said:
The smell of it fermenting with the habanero chilli mash reminded me of a smoky salami. It was good.

Is Dan. Is Good.
I thought just the same last time I made a fermented chilli sauce. Must be the combination of lactic (?) acid and chillis or something.

Brew Forky said:
I have been collecting all sorts of seeds from people over the last season. A few I'm really looking forward to are Coyote Zan White, Tasmanian Habanero and Jolokia x Seven Pod.. I've also got this really long rare red chilli that I forget the name of that will be interesting.

What I'm looking forward to most is a Jalapeno that I hand pollinated with a Purple Tiger. My first attempt at crossing chillis, so hopefully it works as planned.
Have you got a warm spot for the seedlings ?

They generally wont germinate until the soil is around 20* constantly. Hot water systems are a good spot to put them to keep them warm

Just finished making a batch of fermented tabasco. I used long and short chillies, and put 4 scorpions (I'm pretty sure that's what they are) in it.
I've got it in a jar sitting on a oak stick to give it some more flavour. It's hot though!

Cheers,
RB

Ducatiboy stu said:
Have you got a warm spot for the seedlings ?

They generally wont germinate until the soil is around 20* constantly. Hot water systems are a good spot to put them to keep them warm
I'm going to wait until next month for the above seeds and put them on the sunny window sill in the kitchen. This should give them a head start. My other seeds will go in when the weather warms up properly. A mate of mine planted his late July in pots in front of his lounge room window, and has the heater on most of the time. I laughed when I saw a picture of his 'green house'.

The plants outside that I cut back to stumps to over winter are still alive. Only lost one so far.

My scorpian and Bhuts are into their 3rd year now. Just cut them back before winter and come spring they go nuts

Ducatiboy stu said:
My scorpian and Bhuts are into their 3rd year now. Just cut them back before winter and come spring they go nuts

Cut 5 plants back and have had under shelter all winter, they be dead already....

I lost a fair few chillies that were cut back but they were fairly neglected and hadn't grown so well in their first season anyhow. Small pots probably didn't help with cold nights and drying out too easily either. Should still have a few plants come back strong but I'll be sowing more seeds fairly shortly.

Really keen to ferment some this year as I've only ever done simple sauces with frozen chillies. Can you still ferment them just as well after being frozen or is fresh best?

LiquidGold said:
I lost a fair few chillies that were cut back but they were fairly neglected and hadn't grown so well in their first season anyhow. Small pots probably didn't help with cold nights and drying out too easily either. Should still have a few plants come back strong but I'll be sowing more seeds fairly shortly.

Really keen to ferment some this year as I've only ever done simple sauces with frozen chillies. Can you still ferment them just as well after being frozen or is fresh best?

I freeze 98% of my chilli's.

Just make sure when u freeze them, and then decide to make a sauce that you give them a good days sunbaking on a screen door to thaw them out and attract some wild yeasties...

To really get high produce chilli plants from seeding now is with temp control. There it is again - temp control. They must be kept between 20 to 30c to germinate and germination can take up to six weeks. Then! you should have them in at least a bright greenhouse exposed to as much daily light as possible, if not under an energy efficiant light in sinc with daylight hours. Then as seedlings progress its good to ween them to direct sunlight and wind whenever you can. You re-pot the strongest and put them out in the warming of spring. Feed them compost tea. They will blow your mind. Getting 100+ chillies per plant. B)
$0.02.

Does depend a bit on the variety

Scorpians and Bhuts love hot weather, but something like a Peru Lemon Aji dont mind it a bit cool

My all year fruiting chili's are (cold tolerant) Rocoto, Thai Birdseye, Numix Twilight Rainbow and still got Jalapino,
Also have crossbreed mongrels. Maybe fluke a hybrid seed someday of an exotic tropical mungrelised by Melbourne weather year round fruiting breed.

Always enjoy Teds spicy pod and hot sauce reviews. Havent seen knocked around like this in a while though, and the man can take a hit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlNLudm3kYQ

Brew Forky said:
Oregon Venom Poppers any one?
NO thanks, but I'll watch...

I discussed habanero poppers with MercsOwn at one stage, and was advised to let him know if I proceeded with it.
I'm still here, so that may provide your answer.

Latest posts

Back