Chilli! All Things Chillies.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got this recipe from a mate for a chilli sauce. I use habaneros instead of birds eyes. Keeps for ages too.

3 birds eyes chillies
2 long red chillies
2 garlic cloves
1 shallot
125ml olive oil
125ml apple cider vinegar
4 tbsp sugar
1/2 lemon juiced
2 tsp chili powder

Process chillies, garlic and shallot in a food processor until finely chopped.

Heat half the oil in a small saucepan. Add chilli mix and cook until softened (4-5mins). Stir in vinegar, then sugar and lemon juice.

Simmer for 10 minutes or until reduced slightly. Stir in chilli powder and remaining oil and cook for 1 minute.

Set aside to cool.

Bottle it, jar it, put it on everything!! Great on burgers, ribs, chicken and fish tacos.

Sounds good, and I think I might give it a go to empty the freezer a tad from last seasons crop. I'm sure the other half would love more bottles of sauce in the fridge competing for space.

I'm taking a punt that it might be a recipe originally from the States, in which case "chili powder" would be what Aussies call "Mexican Chilli Powder. Which would make sense if applying it to ribs, tacos etc. If that is the case then, I'll cut down the sugar to match the 15ml Tablespoons compared to the 20ml used in Australia. And of course being a cheap *******, use Red Onion as a substitute for the Shallot. :)

I'd whole heartedly try and convince you to use a shallot over a red onion as I found it too pungent and the shallot has a much more subtle flavour. Also I use a roasted chilli powder that I make myself because I'm a nerd but I'm sure just plain old masterfoods chilli powder would be fine. It's just a wicked sauce that you can make as hot or as mild (pussy!!) as you like!

If anyone is looking for different varieties of chilli in the Adelaide area, the fairly new Masters Hardware down next to IKEA at the Adelaide Airport has some of the nasty types. You know, the really hot ones.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1441745807.516478.jpg

My Srirracha was boiled and bottled last night. I didn't get a chance to cool any down and taste it though, but with smoked capsicum, garlic, honey and the Chilli's it should go alright, but it'll be damn hot. It was bottled seeds and all like my last batch.

Nice. I wouldnt mind trying it.

Will be doin another batch of Tabasco this year. Have 2 plants growing now

shaunous said:
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1441745807.516478.jpg

My Srirracha was boiled and bottled last night. I didn't get a chance to cool any down and taste it though, but with smoked capsicum, garlic, honey and the Chilli's it should go alright, but it'll be damn hot. It was bottled seeds and all like my last batch.
Have you made fermented style sri racha? Yours looks good BTW

Added honey and vinegar to it and simmered. No reason really, why not?

I dissolved sugar in vinegar (heated that) and then blended with raw garlic.... that adds to the burn.

All good, Sri Racha rocks,

I use a little anthem gum for thickness and stability, it helps suspend everything evenly.

Anthem Gum? Never heard of it. Sounds like something I could use for all my sauces though.

indica86 said:
I use a little anthem gum for thickness and stability, it helps suspend everything evenly.

A little being an understatement

You only need very small amounts of it, roughly 1% by weight

Ducatiboy stu said:
Also called Xanthan gum
Umm, yeah, drunken typo.

And yes, so little needs to be used.
Good points are it is natural and has this awesome property where it thickens, but if you shake it becomes runny briefly.

I'll look into this Xanthan Gum. Sounds like it's got a place in my kitchen.

Latest posts

Back