Chilli! All Things Chillies.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My hero jalepeno is looking a bit knackered after two big seasons. How should I cut this back? The grey wood is first year, the green wood is second year. Should I just cut back to green wood? In other words if I cut back into the grey wood will that stop regeneration in the Spring?

chilli prune.jpg

I don't know as this is the first time I've attempted to cut plants back to overwinter. I've been slowly cutting branches off not to stress them too much and am going down to the grey wood. Ducatiboy Stu posted he cuts them down to a few inch stump and I imagine that would be grey wood.

Now I need a plan to turn all the green chillies that are coming off those clippings into a hot wing sauce. Mmmmmmm, hot wings. Best brew food ever!

Hot wings.JPG

Or a close second to Jalepeno Poppers...

poppers.JPG

OMG how do you eat those Jalapeno poppers Brew Forky? They would be a bit hot for me eating them straight like that.

I grow Jalapenos every few years. I grew some last summer, but I still have dry stuff from the 2011/2012 season.

It doesn't cost much for a punnet of seedlings from Bunnings. Down here in SA they are only good for one season. They don't want to start growing again after winter.

It would be nice to be able to grow them perennially like Bribie does in Queensland because it would mean I have l fresh chillies instead of dry for a longer part of the year. My plant has a few chillies on it now, both green and red ones, so I guess I'm not doing too bad.

Harden up :D Jalapenos are only midway on the scoville range. :wub:

Whilst I don't grow chilli, a friend's parents grow red poblano which are significantly hotter than the more common green poblano (when dried and smoked are sold as ancho). They give me about a kilo a year which I keep in sandwich bags in the freezer. They are as good as fresh up until the next season..

Jalapeno are the low range!
I made Kimchi for the first time and it is frrrrkin awesome flavor and smell. Just like its supposed to be but!
I didnt want to use powdered dry chilli when I've got a shitload still out there on the wintering sad looking bushes.
I used a load of Dorset Naga all fresh. Some of my Dorset in the past were much weaker in heat than standard but not this year.
The Kimchi is spot on apart from being extreeeemy hot. Too hot to snack on or munch on its own unfortunately but Its the most awesome
flavor enhancer for soups, stocks. Just using a small amount (not enough to be recognizable) in a soup for eg. is just that. A magnificently effective flavor enhancer you could consider as the best natural alternative to that chemical poison like MSG.

I stuff and deep fry big Cayennes and eat them. GREAT stuff! Mirchi Bhaji it is.
Dans what is your Kimchi recipe?

indica said:
I stuff and deep fry big Cayennes and eat them. GREAT stuff! Mirchi Bhaji it is.
Dans what is your Kimchi recipe?
My Kimchi: 9-6-2015
1.1kg Wombok (chopped and salted)
1/2 cup kosher salt
Cold water as needed
1 daikon radish, peeled and cut into 2-inch matchsticks, Rustic give or take.
1 Large Spring onion, ends trimmed, cut into 1-inch pieces (use all parts)
1 bulb Onion
2 tblsp Glutinous Rice Flour
~30 fresh red chilli (Mostly Dorset Naga) some Jalapeno
1/4 cup fish sauce
~ 1 inch square fresh ginger crushed and chopped
8 fresh garlic cloves crushed and chopped
2 teaspoons Korean salted shrimp, minced
No sugar this time. (I Forgot! should have been added to the rice slurry)

Fermented for at least a week at around 19c in large glass wide opening lolly jar with lid on.
edit:
oops forgot some method:
Coarse chop Wombok and mix with salted water and sit for 1 day. Then drain well. (rince for less salt etc)
Mix and simmer rice flour with 1 cup water as thickener and take off heat.
Blend: the garlic, ginger, onion, chilli, shrimp, fish sauce and rice thickener, and some mixtures of all the ingredients as well.
Mix all the ingredience and place into an appropriate vessel to ferment.
Ferment. As long as whatever........ (10 days this time at ~20c) (in the hot water service cupboard)
Jar and refridgerate for as long as............whatever. B)

I'm gonna have to try that Kimchi recipe, sounds heaps good.

Gotta love jalapeno poppers too, a mate likes to smoke his for 4 hours minimum.

LiquidGold said:
I'm gonna have to try that Kimchi recipe, sounds heaps good.

Gotta love jalapeno poppers too, a mate likes to smoke his for 4 hours minimum.
Best be buying some seeds

Hippy seed co is your friend

Yep, Smoking chilli is an excellent way to fast dry chilli. Over a few hours.
It can take over a month or two to dry in a natural way.
I've got smoked Cayenne. Running low. Blast them dry in a blender to turn them into powder and flakes.
Toss it into all sorts.

Try pop corn haha,. Heated olive oil, toss in the salt, the corn, chilli powder and sometimes garlic. Shake, dont let sit FFS!

Bribie G said:
My hero jalepeno is looking a bit knackered after two big seasons. How should I cut this back? The grey wood is first year, the green wood is second year. Should I just cut back to green wood? In other words if I cut back into the grey wood will that stop regeneration in the Spring?
I cut my Jalapeno right back to stumps after the 2011/2012 season and they didn't regrow. Down here it is a lot frostier than you would no doubt experience Bribie, but I notice they continue to grow through the winter a little bit, and they continue to produce flowers, so if you leave them they should keep growing and producing. I've just thrown mine out from last season because frost finished them off. I put fresh seed in pots a couple of days ago.

So I've made plain Sriracha sauce a couple of times, im thinking smoke needs to be in there.

Smoking dries though, so would you smoke capsicums and add to the fermented chilli's or ????

I did exactly that, Shane.

Flame roasted a big, red capsicum, then peeled it and smoked it for 30mins, I think.

The smell of it fermenting with the habanero chilli mash reminded me of a smoky salami. It was good.

Is Dan. Is Good.

Sweet, thought that may be the way to go to add the smoke Danwood.

I have about 3 shopping bags of frozen, destemmed chilli's and im gunna make a huge batch of Smokey Sriracha Sauce with them. Im running about 8 chilli tree's and then get given other peoples chilli's that they grow and cannot eat, and we have 5 chilli plants at work in our mechanics garden :super:

I refuse to use liquid smoke, its cheating, unless of coarse you made the liquid smoke yourself.

Hope you went thru that Trinidad Scorpion bush I left at the brew meet. B)

My chillies are still going..bloody things look like flowering again soon...

Yep, them added with the chocolate ghosts and all the others I have should make one wild sauce. Or parts cleaner...

I am up for a small jar full

Will be doing another fermented Tabasco Sauce from the bush behind the pub

Its in its 3rd year now and still a monster

Back