Chilli! All Things Chillies.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I boil the vinegar and pour over the chillies until the jar overflows.

all VAC packed and ready for storage until germinating time in July.

1428658193886.jpg

You guys are crazy. I'm a chilli head newb in comparison but grow a few hundred home grown organic per year.
A pressure cooker is my new favorite toy. Canning is so cool. Encapsulating all the goods for storage and aging etc.
So fkn cool. :D You can get real small Canning jars these days too.

Pickled chillies, onion and carrot.

I used 1 tsp each of toasted yellow and black mustard seeds, 5 bay leaves, 3 sliced cloves of garlic, 20 black peppercorns. Then poured over a boiling 50/50 cider vinegar and water solution in which I'd dissolved raw sugar and rock salt (around 2tbsp sugar and 1tsp salt per 250ml of liquid).

And some Sriacha with a fermented chilli mash. Basically brown sugar, vinegar and garlic to your taste. Simples.

I've still got heaps of chillies on the plants but the lack of sun/heat this summer hasn't been the best for ripening. Same with my tomatoes, unfortunately.

LOUNGESURFACE - WIN_20150512_131245.JPG

mmm fermented chili. Fermented food, vegatables. Fermented chili sauces is something I,m just getting into and has incredibly interesting flavor. I've always used vinegar (home made cider and beer vinegar) but fermented is a step up another level again. B)

Looks good. I'm definitely going to try fermenting some chillies this year and now you have me thinking about picklilng. Although I have picked lots of chillies, a large majority haven't ripened yet due to the weather like yours danwood.

I did collect enough of my favourite chillies to make Aji Lemon and Mango sauce from a recipe I found on thechilliking.com. It was good to make something a little different. I basted some on some charcoal grilled chicken the other night with successful results.

I'm thinking about altering the linked recipe above next time by replacing the Aji Lemon with Habaneros, The Mango with Peaches and the Lime juice with Lemon juice. Could be good.

Jakers, Danwood and BF, you need to move to Kyogle. My chillies and toms are still flowering and throwing fruit - we're getting mid 20's every day this week up here - although a cold snap would not be good.

For wee mason style jars, Coles do a very nice 500ml 'preserving jar' for $3 in their kitchen section. However they often sell them at two for $4 so I pick up a few.

I use them for my yogurt, storing spices, and have had gherkins in them, the lids are proper two-piece with rubber bonded to the circular lid insert, not an O ring. They seal perfectly and I've used some of them ten times now as I scoff a lot of yogurt and they are all still as new.

coles mason jars.jpg

Lincoln2 said:
Jakers, Danwood and BF, you need to move to Kyogle. My chillies and toms are still flowering and throwing fruit - we're getting mid 20's every day this week up here - although a cold snap would not be good.
Cut them right back to a stump. I have done this 3 yrs running. They will kick ass is spring.

Give me your postal add and I will send you some Lemon Aji's from Peru. Will grow great up there. Mine are in their 3rd season

Yep, cut em back like they do Rose Bushes. After exhausting the fruit produce that can go to late winter I have found. Protect them from any possibility of frost etc.
I have kept tropical stuff here in Southern Victoria for 4 years going. (Havent seen frost in many years)
Bih Jolokia, Bhut Jolokia, Trinidad scorpion. Dorset Naga, Habanero, Numix Twilight Rainbow, Thai Birdseye, Rocoto, Jalapeno,
and some cross pollinated cross breeds that seem to be environmentally tolerant and adapted to Melbourne. B)

I get mega frosts so gotta start fresh every year or do pots. i got a metric fuckload of Orange Habs this year and pickled a few different varieties last night with straight vinegar poured into chilli filled jars with some peppercorns and the odd bit of garlic. Looks awesome as just a table feature.

Ducatiboy stu said:
Cut them right back to a stump. I have done this 3 yrs running. They will kick ass is spring.

Give me your postal add and I will send you some Lemon Aji's from Peru. Will grow great up there. Mine are in their 3rd season
Yes thanks.

Bribie G said:
For wee mason style jars, Coles do a very nice 500ml 'preserving jar' for $3 in their kitchen section. However they often sell them at two for $4 so I pick up a few.

I use them for my yogurt, storing spices, and have had gherkins in them, the lids are proper two-piece with rubber bonded to the circular lid insert, not an O ring. They seal perfectly and I've used some of them ten times now as I scoff a lot of yogurt and they are all still as new.
If you have a reject shop near you have a look for 12 packs of these jars much cheaper than coles (I can't remember how much exactly)

Ducatiboy stu said:

They're not overly hot are they? The majority of my crop are jalapenos with the odd thai chilli as well. That's about as hot as I like them.

Lincoln2 said:
Damn, I spoke too soon. We got a cold snap here the last day or so. Time for the chillies to get a haircut. Hopefully the tomato fruit already growing will hang on until I can harvest a small crop.

Fricken' Coles had a whole stand of chillies this morning. Not sure how long it's been there but I hadn't noticed it before (and I'm in there most days).

Anyway, they had fresh Poblanos - I've found it difficult to even get seeds for these, so i stocked up.

I bought some seeds of ebay once, but none of them germinated. I don't think it was me - all the other seeds I potted were bountiful.

Lincoln2 said:
They're not overly hot are they? The majority of my crop are jalapenos with the odd thai chilli as well. That's about as hot as I like them.
No they are not.

Not as hot as Tabasco's

Back