Chilli! All Things Chillies.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ducatiboy stu said:
Not to far away is the Lemon Aji fermented sauce
Not to be a pain in the arse.... Obviously I'm on the same page, but there is Aji Limon, Aji lemon and Lemon drop, which has been pointed out to me. I don't know what I'm growing any more but I think it's Lemon drop.

Not that's there anything wrong with that.... :)

What are you fermenting?

I've been getting a real musty flavour from both of my last attempts at fermented chillies.

Is this normal? It's kind of a washed rind cheese or stinky socks aroma/flavour.

Negative, I have never got stinky sock flavoured chilli sauce.

Brew Forky said:
Not to be a pain in the arse.... Obviously I'm on the same page, but there is Aji Limon, Aji lemon and Lemon drop, which has been pointed out to me. I don't know what I'm growing any more but I think it's Lemon drop.

Not that's there anything wrong with that.... :)

What are you fermenting?
Lemon Aji..... and tastes good so far, been down about 4 weeks. Probably a bit salty, but bubbling away nicely

pat_00 said:
I've been getting a real musty flavour from both of my last attempts at fermented chillies.

Is this normal? It's kind of a washed rind cheese or stinky socks aroma/flavour.
The ones I have done sort of smell of nothing, maybe slightly fruity but nothing very noticable

indica86 said:
How'd you go Bribie???

I made tobasco recently, used the left over more solid bits for a sambal.
I made the Sriracha version and ended up with only half a litre after straining, but this stuff is lethal like you wouldn't believe, as well as very delicious. Just a few dots as a dipping sauce is fierce, and a teaspoon added to a curry late in the cooking gives an incredible lift. Should last me for a couple of months but I'll increase my growing stocks and who knows Ducatiboy's plants might get mysteriously raided at the end of April. I know where they are :ph34r: :ph34r:

The puddle on the plate would nuke an entire Sri Lankan village.

chilli sauce 3.jpg

I've got jars of dried chillis sitting around, suppose I could knock up some arrabbita sauce, but is there any chance for a fermented style sauce once they're dried out?

I think rehydrating them and maybe adding some fresh peppers for a bit of extra 'diastatic' power should work.

2c.

Look I don't see why it would not work. Wet them, but not too much.

pat_00 said:

Figured it out, the salt ratio I was using was waaaaaay wrong. Must have got other weird bugs in there or something.

Just finished fermenting a massive jar of Trinidad Scorpion / Trinidad 7 Pod pepper mash. This stuff is crazy.

Where do you get bottles for hot sauce? My brother has given me a bunch of empty El Yucateco bottles but the lids are all stuffed and don't seal..

Just an FYI... I use a little Xantham gum in mine, works a treat to keep the sauce from separating.

Very pretty-looking contents! Hot-packed with the pickling liquid?

+1 for saving the leftovers from sauce-making for a Sambal (my favourite is Sambal Bajak, which ends-up slathered on just about anything). Mine are soooo blisteringly hot that SWMBO refuses to even open the jar.. :super:

u put the chilli's in the jars with lid loose and boiled? Or boiled the vinegar and added the chilli's once it cooled somewhat?

Latest posts

Back