Chilli! All Things Chillies.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I cut all of my plants back to a stump the other day on your advice Stu, hopefully they survive winter and spring back into action when it warms back up.

Mr Wibble said:
Fricken' Coles had a whole stand of chillies this morning. Not sure how long it's been there but I hadn't noticed it before (and I'm in there most days).

Anyway, they had fresh Poblanos - I've found it difficult to even get seeds for these, so i stocked up.

I bought some seeds of ebay once, but none of them germinated. I don't think it was me - all the other seeds I potted were bountiful.
Nice, I will check out my local & pick some up if they have them.
I bought a Poblano plant from masters 2 years ago and only got a few very small poblanos from it & then no luck from growing any of the seeds either.

You guys cutting them before frost happens, or cutting them after once they have copped a frost knock?

Recently I have been drying my chilli's and tomato's in the food dehydrator. I just can't get through what the plants are producing. That way when they're dried, I put them in the ninja and turn them into powder, store and just add water for chilli paste.

I thought maybe someone else might find this interesting apart from me.

Maharajah Packet.jpg

I chucked the dregs of a packet of Maharajah's Choice brand crushed chilli into the garden last year to see if anything would happen. Pretty happy when I saw chillies sprouting and they weren't all the same.

Maharajah 1.JPG

Long red chillies that ripen from light to a dark red. The leaves are similar to my Raja chilli. I've got a couple of these growing.

Maharajah 2.JPG

Orange chillies not quite as large as the above. These stay orange when ripe.

Maharajah 3.JPG

Bird's Eye Chillies. Quite productive as there are roughly 300 green chillies on this plant. The few ripe ones have turned red.

So there you go. It was enjoyable waiting for the results. Sometimes this entailed sitting with a home brew and watching them grow.

fishingbrad said:
Recently I have been drying my chilli's and tomato's in the food dehydrator. I just can't get through what the plants are producing. That way when they're dried, I put them in the ninja and turn them into powder, store and just add water for chilli paste.
I smoke a lot of mine (along with some garlic cloves) with cherry wood and dry them out in a low oven, then blitz them up to powder, similar to you.

First time I did it, I couldn't resist a sniff after they were blitzed....I mean immediately after blitzing. You only do that once.

I smoke a lot of mine (along with some garlic cloves) with cherry wood and dry them out in a low oven, then blitz them up to powder, similar to you.

First time I did it, I couldn't resist a sniff after they were blitzed....I mean immediately after blitzing. You only do that once.
Yep, you certainly do.

shaunous said:
You guys cutting them before frost happens, or cutting them after once they have copped a frost knock?
Observation of the plant itself. Exhaust the fruit produce especially if they are exoticly extremely stuff....
If you care about these things you make the dissension from the observation because every season is different.
Last warm season was warmer and harsh.
Last winter season was warmer.
This warm season not so hot. Reaching winter now. Next year? who knows.
I trim down after picking the skerricks that can last into late winter.

Only cut back each main branch to a new Nobe. A noticeable new growth shoot etc.
That will be the the next years branch.

Hows this look?
Shit photo taken on a shit Nokia lumia, but you can just see a ring of white-ish mold forming just above the yellow thingy. (Was actually the suction cup base off one of the kids baby bowls, made a nice seal)
About two weeks in the salt water. Smells 'funky', but not sour milk / rotting vegetation kind of funky. Plan on turning it into sriracha this weekend if I get the chance.

WP_20150528_002_zpsea7frjfy.jpg

Looks good Dave

The longer you keep it the better it will get

It should smell fruity funky and bubble slightly. The smell is not generally that strong

My Tabasco style fermented chillies had a white film on top but and had a nice fruity smell that was rather pleasant and not that strong

If you open the jar an you can smell it from across the room then that is not good

Might give it another week then.
I chucked in a few chocolate bhuts and kind of wish I hadn't. The heat is just plain searing even in the smallest doses and seems to set my tongue alight. I'll be happy if I can get that kind of smoky flavor through.
I like it spicy, but I'm only an intermediate currently.

AndrewQLD said:
That looks great Tony, are the chipolte chillies canned or dried and are they Smoked?

Cheers
Andrew
All chipotles are either smoked or mislabeled, since a chipotle is a smoked jalapeno. Anchos are dried poblanos. I think other Mexican chilis go by the same name whatever happens to them.

I've had a whiff of Stu's fermented chillies, and:

a) They burned all my nostril hairs
b) I'm a wuss who can't handle spicy food so I didn't eat any, plus;
c) IT SMELLED LIKE SPEW!

**** off smirking yellow dude with sunglasses. I hate emojis. That is not what I typed.

Lincoln2 said:
I've had a whiff of Stu's fermented chillies, and:

a) They burned all my nostril hairs
B) I'm a wuss who can't handle spicy food so I didn't eat any, plus;
c) IT SMELLED LIKE SPEW!
Had a hit of that sauce today, grabbed a few portions for a few mates.

Whilst it does not smell of vanilla and cinnamon, its definatly not spew...

******* thing has become a bit hotter, and its mostly liquid now......but god damn it tasted nice

Back