Chilli! All Things Chillies.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to grow Fatalii, Peach Habanero, Chocolate Habanero, Maraba, Jamaican Scotch Bonnet, Bode, C. galapagoense ..... but then had to move, buy the time I setteled in the seeds of all of these were no longer viable.... Dammit.

SWMBO bought me 3 plants for Xmas including a Jolokia. Looking forward to saving some seeds.

But I'd really like to get Fatalii again. Crisp intense heat with a citrus zing. awesome sliced finely fresh on top of a meal.

Mattrox said:
I used to grow Fatalii, Peach Habanero, Chocolate Habanero, Maraba, Jamaican Scotch Bonnet, Bode, C. galapagoense ..... but then had to move, buy the time I setteled in the seeds of all of these were no longer viable.... Dammit.

SWMBO bought me 3 plants for Xmas including a Jolokia. Looking forward to saving some seeds.

But I'd really like to get Fatalii again. Crisp intense heat with a citrus zing. awesome sliced finely fresh on top of a meal.
A mate gave me a bag a frozen chilis and while I was cooking I took a few seeds out of every chili and chucked them in a pot for kicks and wrote the name on every pot. So much for permanent markers, but I'm sure the only pot that has filled with sprouts was the Fatali's. Have started to split them into different pots. You're right about the taste. And heat for that matter. It is another type of animal.

Was meant to be brewing today, but 40c heat led more to putting water on the sad looking chili plants than standing outside stirring a boiling pot. The Habanero didn't look stressed in the slightest though. It was saying "Is this all you got?"

I don't know how I missed this thread before.

I need to get my chilli seed collection going again. I'll see how my Xmas presents go in producing pods. I'd be keen for a seed swap.

Way too many chillies here.
Just finished making 1 litre of Tabasco style hot sauce. It's freakin hot.

Immensely jealous of you guys. Damn possums just stripped every single fruit off one of my chillis, and has had a good go at my black pasillo.
Do these little b#&tards not feel pain /burn?

I put up a little mesh fence around mine, seems to stop them (and the bush turkeys) ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1421899896.959172.jpg

SmallFry said:
Immensely jealous of you guys. Damn possums just stripped every single fruit off one of my chillis, and has had a good go at my black pasillo.
Do these little b#&tards not feel pain /burn?
They have no soul. Look at their eyes. I feel your pain, but they don't feel pain though because they're Imps in fluff.

Hi guys.
I have a bishops crown that's about 6 months old. Its about 2 metres in height but because I didn't cut it back it all sagged over when the chillies came on.
I harvested a heap of chillies off it but just wanted to know if I should cut it back to the main solid stems and how far should I go with the cutting back.
Cheers

Cut it right back to a stump. I do that with all of mine in autumn. They go balistic in spring.

I cheated and bought a habanero plant the other day. Never got around to planting the hab seeds I carefully dried...never mind, there's always next spring.

It's a white variety. Anyone have these ? I thought it sounded interesting and unusual.

Ducatiboy stu said:
Cut it right back to a stump. I do that with all of mine in autumn. They go balistic in spring.
Chopped it to a stump. See how she goes. Hit it with some AACT as well.
Need to plant more. I have been munching on them for the last 2 weeks. Yum.
Thanks for the info mate.

Gav80 said:
Chopped it to a stump. See how she goes. Hit it with some AACT as well.
Need to plant more. I have been munching on them for the last 2 weeks. Yum.
Thanks for the info mate.
What do you mean by 'stump'?

Back to the main trunk, with no branches, or just cut the whole thing off just above the soil height?

AndrewQLD said:
That looks great Tony, are the chipolte chillies canned or dried and are they Smoked?

Cheers
Andrew
Chipotles are smoked jalapenos.

Pretty much above soil height. Cut the trunk down and to about 4-6" long. Come spring it will go nuts. Just remember to keep the soil nutrients up. Power feed and Seasol is pretty much all you need.

Ducatiboy stu said:
Pretty much above soil height. Cut the trunk down and to about 4-6" long. Come spring it will go nuts. Just remember to keep the soil nutrients up. Power feed and Seasol is pretty much all you need.
Never done that before. Just planted seeds from last years crop. Thanks for the advice. Gonna give it a shot this season.

The missus killed my young Carolina Reapers while I was a away a few days. Driving around in despair, I happened upon a nursery selling Butch T Trinidad Scorpions, I don't feel so bad now, but had to pay. She can reimburse me :)

Went to the local Mexican store and picked up Cascabel and Guajillo plants. After a chat, I'm currently marinating some ox tail according to an old school Mayan recipe including Achiote paste and Ancho chilis. Should be the treat tomorrow.

Mmm..going to be making more fermented Tabasco sauce this year

[attachment=78627:tabasco.jpg

Attachments

• tabasco.jpg
    tabasco.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 29
Nice one!
I made two litres recently. Kept some of the more solid bits for a sambal - great on toast.

Just put some sauce made with Lemon Aji chillies in the same style and method as Tabasco..should be a more citrus like sauce

Ducatiboy stu said:
Mmm..going to be making more fermented Tabasco sauce this year

[attachment=78627:tabasco.jpg

[/QUOTE]Recipe / method / timeframe ??

Latest posts

Back