Chilli! All Things Chillies.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rusty274 said:
Any one had any luck growing scotch bonnets? Got a pack of seeds but no luck germinating them.
I did some last year. Dropped a small amount of hormon gel in with each seed. keep at about 26c until they sprouted. Took about 6 weeks to sprout.

Here's some of my chillies. Ironically the biggest ones (on the left) were self sown over winter and most the medium sized ones have been in the same pots since last season when they didn't do very well. Hoping they'll boom once I pot them up.

Varieties include (not all pictured) - Serrano, Yellow Trinidad Scorpion, Jalapeno, Aji Lemon, Birdseye, Chocolate Habanero, Big Jim, Black Pearl plus a couple others that I don't know the name of. I did have two nice bhut jolokias last season but they died over winter as did my last orange habanero so hoping the choc habs and trinidad scorpion do well this year.

Chillies.jpg

Serrano.jpg

Ducatiboy stu said:
Got stables virtually next door. :)
True, have never used it but been told stable manure ain't real flash as it's full of acidic urine. But like I said, never used it.

It is acid, but breaks down into amonia, which is a nitrogen fertilizer

You need to lay it down thick and let it break down over 6-12mnths

brzt6060 said:
Can you flush the baby wipes?
Yes and No. And that's a point worth noting if you are on an Envirocycle or similar as I am as they don't break down. Regular mains sewage, go for it.
No also if your system incorporates some kind of pump out / macerator. They just jam the impeller and burn out the motor or throw the fuse. Either way you'll be extracting an expensive pump chocked full of shit and nursery wipes.
Just ask my brother in law..

Dave70 said:
Yes and No. And that's a point worth noting if you are on an Envirocycle or similar as I am as they don't break down. Regular mains sewage, go for it.
No also if your system incorporates some kind of pump out / macerator. They just jam the impeller and burn out the motor or throw the fuse. Either way you'll be extracting an expensive pump chocked full of shit and nursery wipes.
Just ask my brother in law..
Back to sticks and leaves then.

Masters @ Morayfield (Qld) were getting rid of all their chillies yesterday for $1 each - lots of varieties. I got a ghost, penis and chocolate habanero. Seemed to be quite a few available.

I've got lots of ants farming aphids on most my chillies at the moment and no matter how many times I spray with eco-oil there's always more the next day. I'm reluctant to use more hardcore chemicals but seriously considering ant-rid though I don't have high hopes since the ant colony must be huge. Anyone got any aphids/ants tips?

LiquidGold said:
I've got lots of ants farming aphids on most my chillies at the moment and no matter how many times I spray with eco-oil there's always more the next day. I'm reluctant to use more hardcore chemicals but seriously considering ant-rid though I don't have high hopes since the ant colony must be huge. Anyone got any aphids/ants tips?
djar007 said:
I would try growing mint in the same bed as the chilli . or buy some lady bugs and release them.
Ant rid is for amateurs... I would try a product called "Coopex"... Low toxicity to humans... Highly toxic to ants..Google it.

Personally I would never plant mint in my garden. It is an incredibly invasive weed and will spread throughout your entire garden. If you want to grow it keep it in pots.

Just looked up Coopex and have added it to my shopping list, cheers. In the meantime I'll move a pot of mint near the chillies and keep an eye out for some marigolds.

I haven't tried ladybugs but happen to have introducing lacewing larvae unsuccessfully. Unfortunately I think the ants just went around and killed all the eggs before they even hatched. Lacewings and ladybugs are usually fed sugar and yeast in insectaries so might make up a solution using some old kit yeast and hopefully introduce some ladybugs that way.

LiquidGold said:
I'm a chili grower and know this post is a bit late, but ants hate chili. Crush some chili or used dried chili and mix with water in a spray bottle. I spray it on my plants for other pests but use it on my back door and outdoor area defining lines to keep ants out. Some times after a homebrew, I spray it on an ant line just to see the interaction between them and the new path decided by the ants.

The aphids shouldn't like it either.

Just had my first Carolina Reaper seed say hello to the world. Will post a photo when worthwhile. It's gonna make some absolute kick ass Buffalo Wing sauce :)

Edit: Spellering and Grammara

I do the same ^.

Always have some chille extract in a squirt bottle, most pests are pretty reluctant to go near it and its nice and natural.

Just picked a bucket full of Mexican D'Arbol...waiting for them to dry

Got so many Naga Bons and Trinidad Scorps that they are falling on the ground

Latest posts

Back