Chilli! All Things Chillies.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got a viper chilli about 20cm tall and hammering along at work, planted mid winter and grew well

Have around 15 Habs punched through the soil about 20mm long, some going to the second leaves and will transplant in their own pots today.

Got them growing at work and play with them in my lunch break :lol:

I don't think I'd grow plants any hotter than a Habanero, personally. I'm a big pair of girls pants, I know.

Plus, I have a toddler chewing on EVERYTHING at the moment. It's inevitable he's going to get into my chilli plants at some stage, and I'd rather he learned his lesson with a Rocotto than a Butch T or some such.

chillies.jpg

My baby Trinidad Scorpions in the front. In the background I have Naga Viper, Carolina Reaper and Aji Lemon Drop. So far only one Naga Viper up... still waiting for the others to pop their heads out. Might ramp the temp up from 20 to 25C as I've heard these ultra hot chillies do prefer warmer soil to germinate than others. Will see how we go

HoppinMad said:
. Might ramp the temp up from 20 to 25C as I've heard these ultra hot chillies do prefer warmer soil to germinate than others. Will see how we go
You heard correct

Some more than others. Nagas sprout for me without issue, Habs? No way.

I thought 28-32°C was optimal for most chillies.

I was going to grab the heater cord from the FV fridge and snake it around underneath the seed tray and stick the controller probe in the soil...but that big yellow thing int' sky seems to be doing a good job.

I had bird eyes, nagas and serannos self seed in random spots over winter.

Just marinating my meat now for Jerky to go on tomorrow.
As is not JUST for me I only put 1tsp of Blair's Ultra Death to 2kg of meat. I normally go 1/2 a tsp to a meal.
Flame suit on as according to this site you can't like super hot Chili without it being a pissing competition.

Good going. Not much chance of that down here in Siberia, unfortunately.

Ed - @ Indica

TheWiggman said:
Getting sick of taking lava shits though to be honest. Worth it but.
Is there actually any way to avoid, or at least mitigate this unpleasantness? Like eating yogurt post chili or something?
With young kids, I can have a ready supply of nursery wipes that can be refrigerated on stand by, so thats covered, but its little comfort when you feel you've just been raped by Satan.
Drunk / hangover - OK, worth it. Endorphin rush / poohing napalm, its 50 / 50 for me. It really does bring a tear to the eye. And has me exiting the bathroom like a whimpering bow legged cowboy.
Am I just being a great big chili poof?

Besides timing issues ie need of a speedy end product, why would someone make hot sauce and not ferment the chilis? Even beer when fermented is better than wort...

I am just get slightly philosophical as I watch the tiny bubbles in my two sriracha to be bowls...every morning a good smell and sinuses sorted.

How do you go about fermenting your chillies? I've never done it before so very interested

indica86 said:
Fermented Chilli

2 pounds Chillies
1/4 cup good quality salt.

>Leave the chillies in the sun for 2 days so they ripen and wrinkle.
>Cut stems off, place in bowl with the salt in a warm place for a day
>Put all in a container with 1 cup water
>Allow to ferment, topping up with water as needed, for up to 2 weeks, until chillies are squishy and breaking down.
>Blend all with 2 tablespoons vinegar

Sriracha

2 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
4 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
1 cup puréed Fermented Chilli
2 garlic cloves crushed

>heat vinegar
>dissolve sugar
>cool, add chilli and garlic

First one I left the seeds in, second one I pushed through a strainer and removed the seeds. Not as hot that way but still lovely.

It may seem a long process but like making beer it is worth it.
The fermented chilli will last for ages. For tobasco simply 1:1 with vinegar and strain.

Sriracha is awesome.
Cant wait to give the home made stuff a go.

Dave70 said:
Sriracha is awesome.
Cant wait to give the home made stuff a go.
I bought a bottle of extra garlic flying goose brand as a control sauce, already my still fermenting garlic one has a very similar flavour.
Will let the wife do the blind test. Tabasco is also fermented but why pay many euros per one small bottle when I can do a similar hot sauce myself...
At some stage I will try with roasted garlic, that brown mulch one gets when puts the whole garlic into the low oven. Together with my daily cup of sauerkraut brine any future health problems should be avoided...

I made some Tabasco sauce using indica's recipie....so simple you cant ruin it. tasted AWSOME, nice fruity fermented flavour

Definatly recomend doing it

Back