Chilli! All Things Chillies.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bizier said:
That Tabasco looks like it is going ape. Def enough for a 60ml bottle of sauce out of that.
yeah its going nuts...and its only 6-7mnths old....

Going to make a fair bit off tabasco tomatoe sauce.

Airgead said:
Picked all the ripe chillis of my thai yesterday. Nearly half a kilo. I turned them all into sambal olek.

Put them in a blender with 150g of ginger and 150g of garlic. About 200ml of lime juice to help it blend. Into a pan and boil for 5 mins then stir in 1/4 cup of palm sugar a tablespoon of salt and a handful of lime zest. Bottle in hot jars just like a jam.
Cracked the first jar today. Flavours have blended beautifully. Fantastic flavour.

One teaspoon of this in dinner and my son and I are in a happy place. My wife and daughter however are sitting there with tears and snot running down their faces. If looks could kill I would be a dead man right now.

Might use it as a condiment next time rather than an ingredient....

shaunous said:
Nth QLD who are lucky enough to get 2 seasons in a year as it doesnt get cold enough for many plants to go dormant.
Just to annoy you more mine fruit all year.
My current Naga is nearly 3 years old.

What's peoples thought on having a thread for just recipes? I think this would help having them all in the one spot rather than trawling through 70 pages to find what you are looking for.

FYI: chipotles are smoked jalapenos.

I like a sauce made with anchos (dried poblanos) or dried pasillas for chocolatey flavour, habaneros for heat. Soak the dried chilis in water, then add salt, malt vinegar and sesame oil to taste. Blend.

Or visit Mexico, especially Yucatan, where the markets have dozens of chilis for sale.

I just pulled a stack of choc brain strains and some seed bearing (finally!!) ghost scorpions, sliced em and put em in the dehydrator. I got a stack of the superhots drying away now ready for something soon. I used one choc brain strain in a jerky and although it wasn't quite hot enough for me, it got a few victims at the local club meet :kooi:

Also if you want something that really lights you up, look for "big kev's mega hot" jerky online - it's near Rockhampton. Had some the other day, he uses trinidad scorpion powder in it and it's spot on for heat. Awesome burn had me laughing like an idiot

image.jpg

My harvest today. 3kg of habs, 1/2kg of 7 pods, 2kg of birds eyes, 4 cardi yellows and 3 nagas.

Anyone got a good sauce recipe? I'd prefer a to do the same sauce across all varieties. That way I can really get to know the heat. Same amount of chilli into each sauce.

Cheers in advance.

Wolfman said:
attachicon.gif
image.jpg

My harvest today. 3kg of habs, 1/2kg of 7 pods, 2kg of birds eyes, 4 cardi yellows and 3 nagas.

Anyone got a good sauce recipe? I'd prefer a to do the same sauce across all varieties. That way I can really get to know the heat. Same amount of chilli into each sauce.

Cheers in advance.
Impressive harvest for a melbourne crop!
How many Hab plants did you have to get 3kg?

Red habs? I have some and they bite a lot harder than the orange ones.

indica86 said:
Fermented Chilli

2 pounds Chillies
1/4 cup good quality salt.

>Leave the chillies in the sun for 2 days so they ripen and wrinkle.
>Cut stems off, place in bowl with the salt in a warm place for a day
>Put all in a container with 1 cup water
>Allow to ferment, topping up with water as needed, for up to 2 weeks, until chillies are squishy and breaking down.
>Blend all with 2 tablespoons vinegar

Sriracha

2 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
4 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
1 cup puréed Fermented Chilli
2 garlic cloves crushed

>heat vinegar
>dissolve sugar
>cool, add chilli and garlic

First one I left the seeds in, second one I pushed through a strainer and removed the seeds. Not as hot that way but still lovely.

It may seem a long process but like making beer it is worth it.
The fermented chilli will last for ages. For tobasco simply 1:1 with vinegar and strain.
The best home made sauce I have made, the fermented mash is a brilliant base.

indica86 said:
Indica, I tried this with some chillies I had in the freezer & the whole lot went feral. I ended-up chucking the whole lot out, 'cos it smelled disgusting & was covered in slime. I'm guessing it was because I didn't keep them submerged during the ferment to exclude oxygen. Any insights?

OzPaleAle said:
Impressive harvest for a melbourne crop!
How many Hab plants did you have to get 3kg?
Had 9 in this year. Still got heaps on the plants but had to pick a lot as the bugs were getting to them
indica86 said:
Red habs? I have some and they bite a lot harder than the orange ones.
Sure are.
indica86 said:
Cheers mate. Haven't fermented before. Will give it a go though. I a little hesitant to throw my whole crop at it though as I don't wont to be left with no chilli if it fucks up.

I have had no issues at all doing it.
If anyone wants the recipe PM me your email addy and I'll email you something...

I made a simple Naga sauce with tinned tomatoes. 30% Naga's and 70% tomatoes. some salt & simmered for a few hrs.

HOT...and addictive

I pickle extras too.
Squash lots in a jar. Boil vinegar. Pour in.
Close jar.

It did that with some Jalepenious. But I sterilized them in a water bath with the lids on to get a good vacum seal.

Latest posts

Back