Chilli! All Things Chillies.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You might find the serrano is a little bit hotter than a 2 or 3 but its a nice fiery sort of heat which i quite like.

chrisso81 said:
My Santa Fe Grande, with a lowly heat rating of 2/10, appears to have morphed into something evil and scary. I haven't been game to try one yet, but they look like they might be hot!
attachicon.gif
image.jpg
Am I just tripping or does the chilli in the far right have some mutant flap coming out by itself?

I got a yellow trinidad 7 pod from masters but now that i think of it the tips seem to be pointy and look a bit more like a trinidad scorpion. Might have to look into that, what's the go with people getting the wrong chillies from masters anyone have more info on that?

the weird melbourne summer left me with only 1 7pod fruit, but my trinidad scorpion is covered in small and medium green chillies. Fingers crossed they will ripen but I doubt it...

LiquidGold, you are not tripping, some of them are quite freakish, the skin almost looks blistered like they can't handle their own heat! Ramm Botanicals are responsible for the pot'n all bit, so maybe they grew them and mislabeled them at their end? Having a look through pics if found on their site I think I have just ended up with a Naga Bhut Jolokia Red. I feel for anyone who may have been in my situation and ate one thinking it was just a Santa Fe Grande. Ouch.
Naga Bhut Jolokia from Ramm Botanicals site:
image.jpg

Yeah that wouldn't be fun at all :eek: I remember watching my first Bhut Jolokia fruit grow and ripen and being amazed at how freakishly nasty and evil it looked, still have a jar full of dried ones that I should start using but it's so much easier to use others that aren't as hot. On a related note did anyone here go to the chilli cook off at Kettle & Tin on Sunday? What a great idea for an event, loved it!

Ducatiboy stu said:
How do you know its a butch T
I sent multiple photos to the chilli factory and that's what they said they were. Plus mine taste and burn exactly the same as my mates and his are the butch T.

Well....if it stops raining im going to sun dry them. And give a few to Shaun

Lighty roasted some today...oh my...yummo

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1396144352.864415.jpg
Peach Ghost Scorpion - from two different plants. Shows genetic instability but these little buggers are HOT!! My housemate powered one down, and I quote "it's like a f**kin fire ant bit my tongue"!!

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1396144448.380293.jpg
Orange Trinidad scorpion next to a Peach Ghost

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1396144565.581239.jpg
These are all my chocolate brain strain pods (apparently a moruga scorpion or moruga crossed with a chocolate 7 pot). The only chilli to make some hardcore chilli guy vomit ever!

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1396144672.670365.jpg
And finally my remaining peach ghost scorpion stock. These are all clean of ripe pods as I harvest as they ripen and dehydrate for storage.

Any Brisbane/GC/Suncoast/Toowoomba guys keen to grab one of these plants, I'm happy to separate with a few, as I've got new stock to grow this season (Carolina reapers!)

Getting back to it - regarding that sauce recipe -

Basically I think it's all finely chopped in a food processor, boiled down to thicken to a sauce consistency, blended to a sauce, then bottled. I'm gonna look at making some this season with all the tons of stock I have on hand, I might even consider selling it through here! Warning though, the sauce rates around 830,000 Scoville!

Can anyone advise me on where I can get my hands on some jalapino seeds, I'd love to have a crack at making chipotle and relenos.

cheers

Browndog

Excellent, looking forward to a bit of horticulture.

I got all my seeds from hippy seed co

Be warned...their selection is huge...and prices are good.

Picked all the ripe chillis of my thai yesterday. Nearly half a kilo. I turned them all into sambal olek.

Put them in a blender with 150g of ginger and 150g of garlic. About 200ml of lime juice to help it blend. Into a pan and boil for 5 mins then stir in 1/4 cup of palm sugar a tablespoon of salt and a handful of lime zest. Bottle in hot jars just like a jam.

A few weeks ago I made about 15 jars of sour chili jam as well.

Fantastic stuff.

Cheers
Dave

Just wondering if anyone could give some advice on a couple good varieties to get into growing chillies? I'm definitely not a hot head but would like to work up to using it more in cooking!

Latest posts

Back