Chilli! All Things Chillies.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
surly said:
I planted mine a bit late, so they are only just recently flowering. Happy to send some chilli's your way once they get going (assuming the weather doesn't turn too soon).
That way, you can taste them and keep any seeds from the ones you like. Not sure what varieties they are, got given the seeds by an old Malaysian lady.
That'd be swell! I love old Malaysian ladies!

Update on my setup - I've got a multitude of my plants flowering, mainly the peach ghost scorpions. They are looking absolutely gnarly, some look more like the scorpions with a more bulbous, scorpion tail look whereas some just look like gnarly little ghost peppers with a nasty hook. Of all ~100 pods between 5-6 trees, one has actually hit the right colour.

Chocolate brain strain has produced one pod so far, which was dried while I did my last batch of dried jalapenos - the jally trees are pumping out a ridiculous amount of fruit currently.

Have got a sauce recipe I want to try out too:

~2kg peach ghosts
2.5kg peaches in juice
1.5kg pineapple juice
1kg mango slices in juice
200g fresh root ginger
100g fresh root galangal
75g brown sugar
1250g vinegar
200g choc brain strains

This should yield around 7ish litres of sauce, and is based loosely around the last batch of Wildfire's incinerator (very loosely - I won't be an arsehole and wreck all the hard work Candice at Wildfire has put in to develop this sauce)

What kind of flavour do the Peach Ghosts have?

That is a big sauce, do you cook it or just blend it?

Orange Trinidad Scorpian....mmmm...HOT
2014-03-12 16.16.33.jpg

Nice Stu, I've got a sauce with them in it, holy lord its hot. Many have come unstuck at my joint because of it.

Any chance u can keep some seeds out of one for me so I can have a better go next spring.

Mine have only just started growing madly now, but alas, its to late u silly plants.

If you can get them through winter they will be ready for next year.
My Naga's are coming up tho their third birthday. We don't get frosts but we get close here.

My Santa Fe Grande, with a lowly heat rating of 2/10, appears to have morphed into something evil and scary. I haven't been game to try one yet, but they look like they might be hot! image.jpg

Did you get it from masters? If so it would most likely be the wrong chilli. I have a Trinidad 7pod plant that is actually a butch T which doesn't bother me as I wanted one anyway!

I took one of the unknown chillies into work today, sliced it up into 2-3mm rings and dished em out. These bastards are HOT, tears, drool and running noses everywhere. It was hilarious, even my hot curry/spice loving Sri Lankan mate agreed that they were f*%¥ing nasty! Thanks for the possible ID Stu, they do look like your pic but they are all different, there's no real uniform shape to them. I got the plant from Masters, was it a switched label for a joke? Or have trays of superhots gone out as the weakest chilli in the range? If I recall correctly no Naga Bons appeared in the original 20 types, just Naga Bhuts? I have looked for the original list with pics but can't find it anywhere. Now that I've tried it, what the hell do you even do with superhots? They are far too hot for me!!
image.jpg

chrisso81 said:
I took one of the unknown chillies into work today, sliced it up into 2-3mm rings and dished em out. These bastards are HOT, tears, drool and running noses everywhere. It was hilarious, even my hot curry/spice loving Sri Lankan mate agreed that they were f*%¥ing nasty! Thanks for the possible ID Stu, they do look like your pic but they are all different, there's no real uniform shape to them. I got the plant from Masters, was it a switched label for a joke? Or have trays of superhots gone out as the weakest chilli in the range? If I recall correctly no Naga Bons appeared in the original 20 types, just Naga Bhuts? I have looked for the original list with pics but can't find it anywhere. Now that I've tried it, what the hell do you even do with superhots? They are far too hot for me!!
attachicon.gif
image.jpg
The real hot ones or excess to my needs chilli's, buy cheap cooking oil from Aldi and, cut ends of chilli's, throw in some garlic and whatever herbs u want, and make yourself some tricked out cooking oil for fish and what not. That way fresh garlic and chilli's are never wasted.

A lot of people seem to waste chilli's because they don't want to eat a lot, this is a way to keep them.
Also you can keep them frozen in a zippy bag and just cut tiny bits off as u need it, throw back in the bag and keep in freezer.

p.s. The oil will be chilli if they sit long enough, I found that out last night cooking fresh Mackerel steaks. Although it had a shitload of habanero's and was from last season.

Some cool (ha ha) chillies that everyone has

I have three types which took an eon to get started over spring / summer but are starting to flower their little heads off as well as dropping some fruits

I have a
Serrano
Purple Cayenne
Jalapeno

Like the purple Cayenne as the flowers are very cool with the purple spread through them. Hopefully with the next week being warm they will kick on and provide some tasty treats

Anyone know roughly the heat in these? I think they are all ranked as 2 or 3 out 10 which I think should suit my level of chilli tolerance....

Latest posts

Back