Chilli! All Things Chillies.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
made some manjo and habanero hot sauce today as i had a huge crop this year i had a print out of a recipe from the web, but cant find the link to the original post....

1.JPG
so all in is 24 habanero's, 2 mangoes; 250gms of american hot dog mustard; 2 tbs curryt powder; 1/2 cup brown sugar; 10tbs rice wine vinegar; tbs cumin powder and a good pinch of salt

2.JPG
chilli's chopped and in the belnder with the vinegar. i liberally chopped these, kept some seeds in there, got rid of some...

3.JPG
chilli's blended with the vinegar

4.JPG
2 x diced mangoes in and blended... the smell was amazing but hit you in the back of the throat

5.JPG
mustard, cumin, curry powder, brown sugar and salt added

6.JPG
the consistency

7.JPG
yield, 2 of each size bottle... 1 of each in the fridge for myself + 2 bottles to take into work....

really hot, but great flavour also, sweet and tangy

Looks great. Can I suggest something for you to try? Ferment the chillies. It brings out some awesome flavour and gives a MASSIVE shelf life for the sauce.
I have some fermented habanero waiting for me to be bothered to make a mango sauce with.

Finally i can add to this thread!
My seeds i purchased a few months ago got tipped out/eaten/destroyed by my housemates baby.

However i stumbled upon a few shrubs at the local market for $2.50 each:

Chocolate Habenero
Serrano
Jalepeno
Yellow Cayenne
Cayenne
Purple something -- Label missing for some reason, will need to work out this one.

Let the chilli frenzy begin.

indica86 said:
Looks great. Can I suggest something for you to try? Ferment the chillies. It brings out some awesome flavour and gives a MASSIVE shelf life for the sauce.
I have some fermented habanero waiting for me to be bothered to make a mango sauce with.
Got some pointers on how to do this? Genuinely interested

Go back one page and read my post there.
Any questions ask.

Tasted an Aji Lemon I planted in my locals kitchen garden. Mmm...got a nice sharpness to the flavour.

Cant wait for the chef to do some seafood with them.

Just stumbled onto a ripper, my boss has had this big shrub growing in his garden and never knew what the hell it is, I told him to bring some of the fruit in, he brought a shopping bag full. Turns out they are Viper Chillies, 2nd hottest going around, he said it just popped up in the garden one day in a section he doesn't really look after. So I'm right for hot chillies for a while ;)

indica86 said:
Lemon taste at all?
Sort of. More of a refreshing bite than all out lemon, but it wasnt fully ripe so will try one again in a week or 2.

Sounds good Ducati... Hot like a Hab?

I have stacks of chillies ATM, they are falling to the ground. There are only so many orange habs one can eat without destroying one's arse.

Yeah. I am going to have a good crop of Naga's & Scorps so going to dry them. Got lots of Blood chillies as well.

indica86 said:
Go back one page and read my post there.
Any questions ask.
I have a question (or two):

How would you deal with frozen chillies? I've got a swag from a previous crop taking-up too much space in the freezer & like the idea of fermenting them.

Fermentation covered or open?

MartinOC said:
I have a question (or two):

How would you deal with frozen chillies? I've got a swag from a previous crop taking-up too much space in the freezer & like the idea of fermenting them.

Fermentation covered or open?
Covered - I use yoghurt buckets and leave the lid on and relieve the gas once a day.

Frozen, I'd do as per my post. Leave them in the sun, the salt them.

Bought a couple chilli plants at the local nursery a couple months ago. The Apache is going gangbusters and is giving me heaps of fine chillies, but my Habanero has only been idling. It looks healthy but has grown very little. Seems to be dormant. I noted when I planted it in a pot that the root ball was all broken up. Maybe it's just getting its root right before growing.

Planted a few Jalapenos in a garden box from seeds of a withered chilli I got from a window plant at work. Looks like a couple of them will make a go of it. Now I need to get a capsicum plant and some tomatoes going, then I'll have pretty much everything to keep myself supplied for my salsa and Pico de Gallo makings.

I'm led to believe this is a Rocoto/Manzano/Caballo/Locoto chilli...take your pick, it seems to have thousands of different names!
Different names in different regions, I suppose.

Anyway sounds like a great chilli from what I've read !

Medium to hot (30-100k scovilles)
Perennial
Super prolific fruiting
Won't/can't cross breed, apparently
Cool temp tolerant (mostly cultivated in highland South America)

I'm sure guys here are already growing these, but thought I'd post anyway. Seems like a good workhorse of a chilli with lots of large fruit to pile into sauces, stuff and generally throw into dishes.

Slightly harder to germinate than some though, according to one source.

Looked at my Naga Bon today. Its about 1m tall and loaded. Has at least 40-50 buds on it and still flowering

I'd love to get my hands on some Rocotos. They sound like the sort of chilli I could use in everything every day. I got some seeds from Stienberg in September, but none of them germinated. He hasn't had much luck with them either.

MCHammo said:
I'd love to get my hands on some Rocotos. They sound like the sort of chilli I could use in everything every day. I got some seeds from Stienberg in September, but none of them germinated. He hasn't had much luck with them either.
I only have one chilli from a guy at work, or I'd offer you some mate. I may have to try to grab a few more to improve my odds.

From what I'm reading, they're hard to get going, but will go for 10+ years once established.

Latest posts

Back