Chilli! All Things Chillies.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MCHammo said:
I've made an awesome roast Hab sauce. 2 onions, 1 head garlic, 1 capsicum, 6 tomatoes Roast 20 mins at 180°C add 6 habs Roast another 20 mins Cook everything down in a saucepan (~20 mins), add 1/3 cup malt vinegar, and salt to taste. Next time I'll probably add more tomato, and give them a longer roast to concentrate a bit more. Or just add some tomato paste... Fantastic as it is, though.
Sounds delicious, though for this I am thinking of chilli as a very large percentage of the grist ingredients.
I think I would put your sauce on everything except my coffee though.

Bizier said:
Do you have a recipe for your sriracha Indica?
Fermented Chilli

2 pounds Chillies
1/4 cup good quality salt.

>Leave the chillies in the sun for 2 days so they ripen and wrinkle.
>Cut stems off, place in bowl with the salt in a warm place for a day
>Put all in a container with 1 cup water
>Allow to ferment, topping up with water as needed, for up to 2 weeks, until chillies are squishy and breaking down.
>Blend all with 2 tablespoons vinegar

Sriracha

2 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
4 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
1 cup puréed Fermented Chilli
2 garlic cloves crushed

>heat vinegar
>dissolve sugar
>cool, add chilli and garlic

First one I left the seeds in, second one I pushed through a strainer and removed the seeds. Not as hot that way but still lovely.

It may seem a long process but like making beer it is worth it.
The fermented chilli will last for ages. For tobasco simply 1:1 with vinegar and strain.

Do any of you trim the lower leaves off? In fact do you trim at all?

Nope. I nip the growing tip out to make it bush up.

Only trimming I do is in winter when they get a prune.

Ducatiboy stu said:
Nope. I nip the growing tip out to make it bush up.

Only trimming I do is in winter when they get a prune.
Cheers stu. So how high do you let them get before trimming the tip?

I chop the lower ones if they touch the soil. Just a ramp up for bugs, otherwise I leave them on.

Wolfman said:
Cheers stu. So how high do you let them get before trimming the tip?
Depends on the variety. My Trinidads & Naga dont grow as tall as the birds or bloods so I tip the Trins taller than the others

Cube said:
I chop the lower ones if they touch the soil. Just a ramp up for bugs, otherwise I leave them on.
Ducatiboy stu said:
Depends on the variety. My Trinidads & Naga dont grow as tall as the birds or bloods so I tip the Trins taller than the others
Cheers guys.

image.jpg

My little chilli patch.

De Arbol - are they a cayenne type? Never heard of them.

They look good. Try serrano as well. They are a good chilli - jalapeno like but with heat.

Gave some Tabasco & Lemon Aji seedlings to my local pub for the kitchen. Mine died so am going to get some cuttings off them latter this week.

Damn glad I did.

Oooh, I 'll beg for 1 each of the fruit when you have some.
I'll trade.

indica86 said:
Is that one of those wall gardens?
Nar mate just stupid iPhone pic sideways! Out in the front garden though. True Brunswick gardener!

Can't believe this, Jmac ate thus stuff like it was strawberry jam :super:

For those who have visited Stephen at his Eastview Winery and Brewery at Kentucky NSW. He makes this very memorable chilli jam called Lee Kee Cock :lol: So frikkin hot I dip a knife in and then draw it out leaving only the oil on the knife. Spread on toast under an egg it's great, but bloody hot even used so sparingly. Jmac never batted an eye, broke out in a light sweat was about all......

IMAG1057.jpgIMAG1059.jpg

Hey guys,

I'm only a recent addition to the forums, but for what it's worth I saw this thread - I'm a semi-pro (aka beyond being an amateur, haha) grower, with several rare superhots and a load of jalapenos! My current line up:

9x Peach Ghost Scorpion
8x Chocolate Brain Strain
1x Butch T
5x Jalapeno
PLUS!! I have the carolina reaper and the madballz 7 (ghost pepper x 7 pot)

If anyone is chasing dried pods for sauces let me know via PM for a current stock list, I've also got a food dehydrator on hand to dry stuff with!!

Cheers

Back