Chilli! All Things Chillies.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jiffys are fine. But you might have to wait 3-4 weeks. Thats just the nature of the seeds

Kashmiri chillies haven't come up ... maybe they nuke them before they send the pods overseas, I'll check and see if they glow in the dark. :unsure:

Bribie G said:
Kashmiri chillies haven't come up ... maybe they nuke them before they send the pods overseas, I'll check and see if they glow in the dark. :unsure:
I've suspected this on a few occasions with seed I've ordered internationally. I can imagine the customs man having a nice little chuckle..

But I'm the suspicious type.

I am over the jiffy pots as well. I think those pellets might be the go. I saw that a chilli I was given from Masters was in a much looser weave organic type pot and it is doing really well. I think that the jiffy pots suppress hair root growth. I've been using them in a large clear plastic tub acting as a terrarium. You can partially have it open to start toughening the plants.

Anyway, farewell to one seven pod. Body dog is learning new ways to destroy.
1385604227860.jpg

Bribie G said:
I know people who have received letters from AQIS saying they found seeds ask asked if they wanted the seeds nuked and sent to them or just destroyed. Either way the seeds are no good.

Put the pots on something warm. On the TV, PC Monitor etc. They NEED warmth to germinate. Just use old toilet roll inners as jiffy pots siting in a egg carton for stability. Cut toilet roll into three. They work well. Get a dropper and use that to to wet the soil in jiffy pots. 10 drops is enough with a smidgen of seasol in it every second day. Make up a liter bottle of water and say 10 mils of seasol.

I had 90% strike rate doing this with super hots. Before that I had a dismal strike rate.

+1 for a combo of seasol & power feed.

I dilute a capfull in 2ltr and water every week and soak.

The jiffy pots need to be put in a tray with water. They dry out quick. If kept wet roots bust thru them

Keep your seeds in the sun so the top is warm but moist.

Have found the hot varieties do not play well germinating

Roasted 8 massive orange Habs last night. Cooled and peeled them.
Mashed, smeared about half on a pizza. Brutal but oh so tasty. Had another piece today, my wife had one also, I go outside and start mowing and then come back in for a drink, wife s almost doubled up in pain with stomach cramps. I had a twinge too. 5 hours later after a 2 hour sleep things have settled down.

Ouch.

I had a nice chilli and sopressa binge last night. Fermented nicely to the point of waking up at 5am with a busting need. Lucky I have soft toilet paper...

I've got onto the moist bumwipes, Kleenex do a good one in a plastic case.
Paper takes you only 95% of the way, the wipes take you the last 5%

As they say, redefines "freshness".

And they are flushable. B)

Everything is flushable, it is whether it destroys your septic plumbing thereafter.

And for the record, my dog destroyed four of my 7 pod Jonah seedlings, leaving me with only two. I am glad I did not only sprout four.

I am currently playing with a mix of coco-coir, leftover potting mix and some worm castings. Look promising thusfar.

Ducatiboy stu said:
+1 for a combo of seasol & power feed.
I dilute a capfull in 2ltr and water every week and soak.
The jiffy pots need to be put in a tray with water. They dry out quick. If kept wet roots bust thru them
Keep your seeds in the sun so the top is warm but moist.
Have found the hot varieties do not play well germinating
My chillis are shitting me, all mostly got outa the ground and just getting to the 2nd set of leaves stage and starting dying. I think it might have been our 'spring', which was really a mid summer, so I've now put in the shade under an open shed and we'll see how they go. They're temperamental things. Last years chilli's lasted just that, one year/season, produced like crazy then died and never re-shot, I'm sure chilli's are not a one season plant, but maybe some are.

Bizier said:
Everything is flushable, it is whether it destroys your septic plumbing thereafter.

And for the record, my dog destroyed four of my 7 pod Jonah seedlings, leaving me with only two. I am glad I did not only sprout four.

I am currently playing with a mix of coco-coir, leftover potting mix and some worm castings. Look promising thusfar.
Worm castings are the shiz, my worms all died in last summers heat though, I didn't look after them to well, neglected them shade, but got around 40l or magic castings before they went to wormy heaven.

A lot of chillies are actually annuals - specifically any Capsicum Annuum (Jalapenos, birds eye, etc) cultivars (which most common varieties are). They may last for several years depending on the local climate, but with diminishing returns after the first few years if they last. Most (all?) of the hots and ultra-hots are Capsicum Chinense (Habs, Bhuts, etc) which are perennials and should last for many years.

We've had chillies for many years, all annuums, and have lasted about 5 years or so before going woody and almost stop producing leaves and fruit. I'm growing my first batch of Chinense this year, so I can't speak for how they travel over time.

MCHammo said:
A lot of chillies are actually annuals - specifically any Capsicum Annuum (Jalapenos, birds eye, etc) cultivars (which most common varieties are). They may last for several years depending on the local climate, but with diminishing returns after the first few years if they last. Most (all?) of the hots and ultra-hots are Capsicum Chinense (Habs, Bhuts, etc) which are perennials and should last for many years.

We've had chillies for many years, all annuums, and have lasted about 5 years or so before going woody and almost stop producing leaves and fruit. I'm growing my first batch of Chinense this year, so I can't speak for how they travel over time.
I'm pretty sure that although named Capsicum annuum they are not in fact annuals. They do however die off when hit hard by frosts which I guess led to the misnaming. Similarly C. chinense was thought to have originated in China which isn't correct but has stuck.

MCHammo said:

Yeh the best producing was a Birdseye, in its peak last year I was pulling the chillies off and 2 days later they were back again, was crazy, then hit winter and turned into a little wooden stump, as it still stands today.

We get hard frosts around here and i have successfully kept chillies and even capsicums going year to year by cutting them back to 6 or 8 inch stumps and covering the hard wood. They sprout out agian from the one or two branches in the spring and become bigger again than the year before.

Might try that ey Punkin, if these new ones ever take off that is. I did trim it a little after leaf fall, but left it out in the open, we don't get hard frosts, but we get a few through winter that ice over the cattle troughs and bird baths, so cold enough I suppose.

We used to make our troughs from Rubber tyres and Bentonite so when they iced up we could drive into them and cracked the ice. Lazy but true.

djar007 said:
We used to make our troughs from Rubber tyres and Bentonite so when they iced up we could drive into them and cracked the ice. Lazy but true.
Hillbilly farming :)

Back