Chilli! All Things Chillies.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just picked a stack of orange habs, salted them to ferment and will mash...
Going to make a hab / mango sauce as mangoes are everywhere at the moment.

I'm growing a few chillies this year after moving into a place with a backyard for the first time in years. I bought a few super hot seedlings from Masters. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get an early start on the season here in Melbourne, but they are coming along well so far.

I tasted one of the not even ripe Aji Limon pods, rated at 7/10, and it was so hot it gave me hiccups and I had snot running out of my nose... newbs :)

Give them a weekly feed of dilute power feed.

My Trins and Naga Bons have leaves as big as my hand.

They are going to be not as satan

My chillies are still growing shithouse. Only a couple got there second leaves and none Will grow over an inch. The aldi Birdseye chilli plant is booming.

Mine did nothing for a while then took of.

They like regulare fertilizer and damp soil.

My chillies weren't growing that great either. Started throwing a bit of fertiliser on every other week and watering once or twice a day, and they've all gone gangbusters. Habaneros, Scotch Bonnets, Jalapeños and Birdseyes. Green chillies covering all the plants, and already had a crop of Birdseyes and Jalapeños.

Habs and other similar chillies will develop better flavours in drier soils. My habs have been had to find the right position for, but finally I have found it and can only fit four in one hand.

The hotter varieties like to show signs of stress then give them a good water. Wait again until they show signs of stress ie; drooping leaves then repeat.

I done this for years and they always gave better results.

Plenty of rooster booster when overwintering and use seasol power feed when they start growing again. When flowers first start to appear, hit them with normal seasol.

When overwintering, chop them back like roses. Hard back.

With the weather here, my habs have been drooping on pretty much a daily basis - hence why I've been watering them so often. They seem much happier now that they've got the extra water.

Yeah - they will tell you when they are dry and are ready for a drink. If it is too fast like every day even on hotter days you may like to check your soil condition or give them some afternoon shade. The soil may be spent or just plain old shitty soil to start with. I swapped to white pots and that was a great move. Black pots dries out the soil fast in direct light here in QLD. When overwintering as I mentioned previously, take them out of the pot after chopping back the main plant and trim the roots back a quarter as well before putting them in fresh soil mix. Just water them in really well after that to expell any air around the roots and to get good root/soil contact.

I mix my own soil from budget bags. Coles or brunnings for example. Added rooster booster, lucern mulch and water saving gel crystal things and mix that through really well. This gave good water retentiion with the goodness of seasol etc, and good drainage so the bottom roots never stayed wet. Chillis hate wet feet so smash an old pot up or what ever and use that in the bottom of the pot.

Your plants will last 5 years or more doing this.

Has anyone here ever made a sauce with roast garlic?

I am considering a sauce which is weber smoked hab + roast garlic, salt, cider vinegar, perhaps bourbon, cooking and pushing through a strainer. I am also considering just using liquid smoke.

What do people do for sauce bottles? Where do you get them?
I have used recycled ones and I use lab bottles in the fridge for bulk storage, but I want that regulated pour, and it would make it nicer to give as a gift.

I've made an awesome roast Hab sauce.

2 onions,
1 head garlic,
1 capsicum,
6 tomatoes

Roast 20 mins at 180°C

add 6 habs, roast another 20 mins

Cook everything down in a saucepan (~20 mins), add 1/3 cup malt vinegar, and salt to taste.

Next time I'll probably add more tomato, and give them a longer roast to concentrate a bit more. Or just add some tomato paste... Fantastic as it is, though.

edited for clarity (line breaks appear in android app, but not on windows... is this a Linux LF vs windows CR+LF issue?)

MCHammo said:
I've made an awesome roast Hab sauce.2 onions,1 head garlic,1 capsicum,6 tomatoesRoast 20 mins at 180°Cadd 6 habsRoast another 20 minsCook everything down in a saucepan (~20 mins), add 1/3 cup malt vinegar, and salt to taste.Next time I'll probably add more tomato, and give them a longer roast to concentrate a bit more. Or just add some tomato paste... Fantastic as it is, though.
Yum! This sounds great. Might give this a go on the weekend.

Sriracha home made is more than awesome.

Fermented chillies + vinegar + sugar + garlic.

indica86 said:
Sriracha home made is more than awesome.

Fermented chillies + vinegar + sugar + garlic.
Yeah, just now I am doing quick vac-bag japanese pickle with radish, carrot, cabbage in a vinegar/water/sugar mix (chucked a hab in with the seaweed, hopefully not too hot for the other half). Plus the fact that I was looking at sriracha recipes earlier because it is an obvious one with garlic. I thinking about actual fermented hot mother chillis to have as a kind of man-condiment.

Do you have a recipe for your sriracha Indica?

Latest posts

Back