Chilli! All Things Chillies.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone in adelaide got any spare plants? ive been trying to grow them from seed for quite some time with no results.

I've had a sudden urge to start adding chilli to everything I cook. I've bought a packet of mixed chilli seeds from Bunnings. Now I'm assuming it's a little later that ideal to start germinating the seeds, I guess early spring would have been better. I've planted some of the seeds directly into pots. I would like a respectable harvest, so my question is, because I'm planting them later will I still get a reasonable amount of chillies, or would I be better to buy some more pots and plant some more to increase the harvest?

You will probably get something out of them this season but it depends on how well they grow. If I were you I'd have a look at the local market, nursery, (or bunnings as a last resort) and pick up some seedlings or small plants that are established and go from there.

I planted some chilli seeds at the wrong time of the year (some time in autumn I suppose). Half a dozen came up and struggled through winter. Once the warm weather hit a few weeks back, they shot up and are producing fruit right now. I think I've got Jalapeños and birds eyes growing (none of my scotch bonnets or roccottos came up :angry: ).

Also picked up some habaneros and scotch bonnet seedlings from Bunnings a few weeks back (can't really argue with $4 per plant). No sign of fruit yet on those. I suppose they will fruit later in the season/next year. Can't wait to have some habs and bonnets to experiment with :)

My Douglah is just a whitefly magnet and keeps dropping flowers. If it has a single fruit, I will keep it for seed, but I am over the non-suitability to my conditions, perhaps I can cross it with something more resilient. Everything else seems to go through just fine without complaining too much.

The place I moved into had a pre-existing chilli bush ravaged by snails, which I have nursed back to health and it has a little army of birdseyes gathering on top.

Braumoasta said:
I've had a sudden urge to start adding chilli to everything I cook.

That urge is natural. Do not be confused or upset about it, it's just the way things are supposed to be.

Do not let family members tell you there is something wrong with you, if they don't like the food they can cook there own.

Don't be put off by the kids complaining about the ice cream or the mashed potato, chilli is a natural component and they will get used to it eventually :D

rheffera said:
Anyone in adelaide got any spare plants? ive been trying to grow them from seed for quite some time with no results.
Chilli seeds are known for not germinating. You need soil warmer than 20*c to help them. Also soaking them in a miltons helps break down the hydrophobic membrane covering the seed

Liam_snorkel said:
You will probably get something out of them this season but it depends on how well they grow. If I were you I'd have a look at the local market, nursery, (or bunnings as a last resort) and pick up some seedlings or small plants that are established and go from there.
Well a week after planting the seeds, most have already germinated and are poking up through the soil. I've also managed to get my hands on a small chilli plant (probably about 15cm in height) from the local markets. Hopefully the plants grow up quick and start producing some chillies! :beerbang:

Picked a couple of jolokia tonight. Not game enough to eat one just yet, might need some Dutch courage.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1384945918.084099.jpg

Here is some Bhut extract I made from earlier in the years harvest. F'in hot stuff.

TqOgJ-YzRP7ISbCyXNtgOz_qjmgCIhub0NpL7zt4DV4.jpeg

Liam_snorkel said:
Picked a couple of jolokia tonight. Not game enough to eat one just yet, might need some Dutch courage.

attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1384945918.084099.jpg
Just planted mine yesterday. Did you begin yours from seed? How long to harvest?
I'm keeping the in a warm spot as per Stu's recommendation.

Personally, I'll never ramp my pain threshold up with Dutch courage where chili's are involved again after an incident at our local Thi restaurant, and my instruction to the chef not to serve up that 'tourist strength' green curry.
We had just returned from Thailand and I thought I was the man.

Next morning, I was more like a whimpering little boy, sitting on the toilet, hungover and padding my scorched anus clean with Wet Ones.

Yup. After a night on the super hots don't forget to leave a roll of toilet paper in the freezer for the next morning. :beerbang:

Dave70 said:
Just planted mine yesterday. Did you begin yours from seed? How long to harvest?
yep, from seed. I actually planted them in january this year because I'm a bit of an idiot - the plants managed to get a bit of size on them and were able to survive winter easily enough. I gave them a prune and they sprung up and fruited quickly this spring. The chillis stay green for weeks before ripening.

Personally, I'll never ramp my pain threshold up with Dutch courage where chili's are involved

It does make for a multi faceted hangover. But drinking and chilli are perfect partners that egg each other on in an orgy of heat and drunkenness.

NOTHING TO SEE HERE.

Indeed.

Five days in and not a sign of either Bhut or Jalapeno's. I don't think these jiffy pots are much chop as I've had mixed results in the past.
I'm thinking one of terrarium style seed trays may be the go.
Or am I just being impatient?

WP_20131127_001_zpsc7a0d99f.jpg

You are being impatient Dave. Chillies are hard to sprout, even where I am.
And those jiffy pots are arse I find.

Latest posts

Back