Chilli! All Things Chillies.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All of my habs have always started off dark green before ripening. This one also has bumpy skin. I was thinking it could be a scorpion but the odds of picking up one at bunnings seems a bit slim.

hey guys, i have a naga jolika and it's starting to get really big compared to it's pot which is about 40cm, it seems to have stopped fruiting for the year, should i cut it back, re-pot or leave it alone?

About half way through the chilli harvest, Cayennes and Guajillos.
c.JPG
Some fresh, some dried, some drying. Definitely prefer drying them as a ristra rather than on a rack.

Whislt mowing today, I wondered why all of a sudden it was hard to breathe.

Managed to run over a few 7pots that had fallen down on the ground....

WOW.....talk about getting gassed....

Was coughing for a few mins.

LOL

I don't want to put the shits up you however when my sevens started dropping off at the pod stage I had an infestation of fruit fly. Decimated all the sevens and bhuts. If they feel a little 'springy' on the top around the stem chop one opened and look for maggots. They love the super hots. My birds eyes and devils tongues were not touched.

rendo said:
Whislt mowing today, I wondered why all of a sudden it was hard to breathe.

Managed to run over a few 7pots that had fallen down on the ground....

WOW.....talk about getting gassed....

Was coughing for a few mins.

LOL

I got my parcel from the States, Carolina Reapers and Giant Thai's seeds..

At the chilli fest in Freo now. Got a small douglah and large jonah 7 pod. Sweet.

I'm a bit disappointed in the food. There are general 'fair' stalls but not really much actual hot food besides buying a bottle of sauce.

First chillies beginning to turn now :)

Poblanos, Jalopenos, Thai banana and Zimbabwe Pequin, orange habs just putting on some colour too

image.jpg

In SEQ my chilli plants would over winter ok and I still got fruit except for the very coldest months of June, July, August.

Here in NSW where I'm in the same weather band as Coffs to Central Coast (and I'm near the beach) would the plants overwinter ok, or are they going to be bare sticks before too long? If so might get pickin and freezin now.

20130311_085109.jpg
This is the second flush on one of my habs. First flush across 6 plants was about 300-400g (4 in one large pot though - one probably more productive in the end), second flush will be much larger. Notice that wet stuff about the place? It is actually raining in Perth right now.

I sent a member here some Bishops Hat seeds, it was to WA.

I can't remember who it was, I hope you received them OK.?

My crop from late Feb.
Habaneros, Thai Birdseye and Long Green Thai. (Not seen are the Jalapenos)

Respectively went into the following: Inner Beauty Hot Sauce, Chilli Oil, Green Sweet Chilli Sauce.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:7059]

Bribie G said:
In SEQ my chilli plants would over winter ok and I still got fruit except for the very coldest months of June, July, August.

Here in NSW where I'm in the same weather band as Coffs to Central Coast (and I'm near the beach) would the plants overwinter ok, or are they going to be bare sticks before too long? If so might get pickin and freezin now.

We get heavy frosts over the winter here. I cut chilli (and capsicum for that matter) plants back to a healthy thick stump about a foot high. Wrap in hessian and leave till the following spring. They seem to come back just fine.

If you leave them with leaves and sticks they seem to get frozen and kill the plant, but good thick branches bigger than a stick of chalk seem to be ok.

so after much thought into the matter I have decided that this is most likely not an orange hab as it was advertised. Seems like I do have a scorpion or some simliar variety. The little buggers are turning purple. Can anyone that has any experience with the scorpions tell me what colour the fruit is likely to end up being?

20130312180109.jpg

I was going to post a pic of a gnarly orange hab to persuade you that your plant was one... but that sir, is not an orange hab by a country mile.

I am really interested to know what it is though.

Can you eat a bit an tell if it is hot or not, and how hot it is?

Cooking up some Jerk chicken tonight :super:

Pisses me off though, I've got a Habanero bush outside staring at me but the little bastards are too lazy to turn red so I've had to buy some birdseye's from the limp food people (coles) :angry:

with all this wet weather (I presume that's the reason, hasn't happened before) small black ants have been climbing up my chilli plants, building a small dirt nest around their base, and sticking eggs to the bottom of the leaves. Is this kind of unruly behaviour common? What's a good way of getting them to **** off?

we had a tree infested with carpenter ants and i found boiling water did the trick on the nests that i found, ant spray from the hardware store killed the rest

we also get alot of normal ants in spring/summer because of our sandy soil, ant-rid near there nests or marching lines usually gets rid of them for a few months

cool I'll try ant dust as I have some at hand.

not keen on boiling water - these plants are still quite small.

Latest posts

Back