Chilli! All Things Chillies.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Twilight Numex - aka rainbow chili. Can be hot but lack any real flavour. Good for grinding into a powder or flakes for sandwiches etc.

QldKev said:
Here's my only chilli bush I'm not sure what it is, SWMBO got it for me. They start off purple, then yellow into orange before turning red. Once they get to red they are pretty hot.

attachicon.gif
chilli.jpg

QldKev

Wolfman said:
I'm interested in these popper things. Do share.
Yeah keep the pics coming Stux !

I'm very jealous of your jal harvest, I can't get my seedlings to grow past the 2-4 leave stage !

big thank to rendo for the 7pot seeds,
much appreciated,

and for interested sake, AQUIS state that dried seeds from fruit are ok to sedn into SA and WA

What's the general word on pruning back and running into the second year with your plants? I usually just start a new one from seed every year, but this time I let my Cayenne run through after reading you could do it. In its second year now, the leaves have stayed really small and sparse looking and haven't had a single chili yet. Got a few flowers, but not many.

Start fresh every year?

Prune them HARD like roses. Mine looked like twigs after pruning. They will love it with new soil and ferts.

Wolfman said:
I'm interested in these popper things. Do share.

Do a google for ABT's. Real crowd pleasers, but you need at least a dozen for every three people, can get tedious.

I have a single second year (scrawny) Jalapeno bush, but it is basically no heat whatsoever on all fruit. Do I basically need to keep getting more plants until I get a hot one? I have a number of (common) varieties so any pollination will be all over the place, will the seeds from this throw anything useful?

punkin said:
Do a google for ABT's. Real crowd pleasers, but you need at least a dozen for every three people, can get tedious.
Cheers Punkin. Made some in the oven the other night. Delicious!

I did a search on "preserving" and not much found in this thread, so here goes again:
I have a fair few green chillis of the long Thai variety and wonder how to preserve them in the green state to use over the winter - I have heaps of dry red to keep me going, but the main reason I grow chillies is to get the green ones:

Jar with olive oil or:
Whizz them up to a paste in the blender and freeze as chilli ice cubes.

Just a bit worried about chillies in a jamjar filled with olive oil, does that pose a botulism risk, as with BIAB and No Chill?? :ph34r:

Bribie G said:
Just a bit worried about chillies in a jamjar filled with olive oil, does that pose a botulism risk, as with BIAB and No Chill?? :ph34r:
It does actually. More so if Chillies were a root vegetable like garlic though...

BribieG, Google "Pickling chillies" plenty of recipes. My brother-in-law (rest his pickled soul) lived in PNG over 40 yrs and only ventured out for four weeks at Christmas. the first thing he would do when he got to his Mum's place would pickle gallon jars of vegetables and chillies to have with his beer.

Hd

HD

Tony they look gnarly, I'm cringe-salivating just at the photos.

I don't have any super hot this season but next spring will have some choc bhuts growing.

I bought a couple of bottles of sauce from the hippy seed co - a naga morich BBQ sauce, and a yellow 7 pot sauce. Fck me they are really tasty and bloody hot too.

Bribie G said:
I did a search on "preserving" and not much found in this thread, so here goes again:
I have a fair few green chillis of the long Thai variety and wonder how to preserve them in the green state to use over the winter - I have heaps of dry red to keep me going, but the main reason I grow chillies is to get the green ones:

Jar with olive oil or:
Whizz them up to a paste in the blender and freeze as chilli ice cubes.

If you are going to use them to cook with just freeze them whole. I still have bags of haberneros in the freezer that have been there for years.
I just get one out and chop it up while still frozen as they go a bit mushy once defrosted. Flavour, heat and colour are preserved perfectly if not the texture.

I noticed this little bugger had sprouted on what was supposed to be an orange hab plant that I picked up at bunnings. It sure doesnt look like and other hab I ever saw. Anyone got an idea of what it might actually be?

20130215190241.jpg

Kind of looks like a scorpian of sorts search 'trinidad scorpian' for a few images.
The colour however looks like a young hab so it could just be a bit deformed.
I have the hab plants from bunnings too and my young chillis are the same colour.

Latest posts

Back