Chilli! All Things Chillies.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ironically chilli spray gets rid of them. Chilli spray and white oil are great in the garden. Google them for homemade stuff.

Liam_snorkel said:
cool I'll try ant dust as I have some at hand.

not keen on boiling water - these plants are still quite small.

Liam_snorkel said:
with all this wet weather (I presume that's the reason, hasn't happened before) small black ants have been climbing up my chilli plants, building a small dirt nest around their base, and sticking eggs to the bottom of the leaves. Is this kind of unruly behaviour common? What's a good way of getting them to **** off?

Chase them at high speed whilst gesticulating out your windows, beeping your horn and flashing your lights.

It's pretty much the only way to get your point across to anyone/thing these days..

I'll start by saying I know next to nothing about growing chilli or anything else for that matter, but was just wondering something, a while ago I saved the seeds from a crappy long chilli from coles and planted them. Heaps of plants grew but I cut the all off except the strongest two. They both have quite large chillies on them at the moment which have been there for a while... How long does it take for them to ripen and turn red? Or are they actually green chillies that coles have used some chemical to turn red?

they can take a while.

have a sample of one, if just tastes like capsicum, it's not ripe.

this time of year they may not turn red, or at least thats my experiance, wait till spring/summer next year when you get a great crop

Enough Naga Dorset here to bring any size function to it's knees.

Plenty more on the bush and heaps in the freezer, i should have some seeds shortly with any luck.

forgot the pic..

nagadorset2.jpg

Currently working on a serious sweat after a green curry I just made and contemplating next seasons chilli's.

Sorry if this has all been covered before, but 56 pages is a lot to trawl back through. But, is it worth trying to plant some seeds now to try and get a head start on next season? (melb). I realise the frosts will kill them. Was thinking sedlings on the window sill or similar...

Bubba Q said:
so after much thought into the matter I have decided that this is most likely not an orange hab as it was advertised. Seems like I do have a scorpion or some simliar variety. The little buggers are turning purple. Can anyone that has any experience with the scorpions tell me what colour the fruit is likely to end up being?

20130312180109.jpg
Definitely looks like a scorpian! How do they look now mate? Tasted one yet?
Do they all look the same as this?

My bunnings habs where pretty mutated too and all went purple before orange. Having had a small harvest mine are definitely are habs.

goldenchild said:
Definitely looks like a scorpian! How do they look now mate? Tasted one yet?
Do they all look the same as this?

My bunnings habs where pretty mutated too and all went purple before orange. Having had a small harvest mine are definitely are habs.
they are ripening to an orange colour but they still seem to have greenish tinge to them so i think they will continue to ripen until they are red. If this really is a scorpion then I am actually afraid of having a taste test.

The larger sized fruit on the plant doesnt seem to have as much of a pronounced tail.

Bubba Q: owner of the first Capsicum bunningsii

I know it is not really post-worthy, but here is a picture of the babies I am waiting to fully ripen. I have all other varieties of chillies going, and tonight while watering, I noticed a bunch of fruit I have previously not seen because all I can think about is these babies.

20130401_114447.jpg

Does anyone here grow any Capsicum pubescens (aka rocoto, locoto, manzano)?

I was initially interested just to have an old species for curiousity's sake, but the more I read about this, the more it seems to be a star performer.

I've got 3 red rocotto seedlings, one of the guys at work has a few massive trees of them on his farm down near Nowra. Big fruit, decent amount of heat. But somewhat temperamental when trying to grow them. Another colleague has had 3 60cm bushes die on him for no apparent reason.

What did you want to know?

Bizier said:
Does anyone here grow any Capsicum pubescens (aka rocoto, locoto, manzano)?

I was initially interested just to have an old species for curiousity's sake, but the more I read about this, the more it seems to be a star performer.

stienberg said:
What did you want to know?
How they compare in flavour to other varieties and whether they are as easy as they sound. Also if there is anyone in WA with seeds, though I think I can safely just buy them online.

For me, the flesh is more capsicum texture, not as dense as, say, a jalapeno. Heat can vary from one to another, from somewhat mild to fairly hot (not habanaro hot). The seeds are black and they actually contain quiet a lot of the heat.

Easy? Hmmm, we've had varied success trying to grow them. Germination rates when we've tried were about 30%. Once they're well established they're pretty hardy from all accounts. And they do grown quiet large, 2-3m.

I have a few rocoto plants as well. I concur with what Stienberg said, very capscicum like and most are quite hot but not OTT.

They survived over the Melbourne winter in pots in a greenhouse, even though they still suffered from some frostbite.

Bribie G said:
In SEQ my chilli plants would over winter ok and I still got fruit except for the very coldest months of June, July, August.

Here in NSW where I'm in the same weather band as Coffs to Central Coast (and I'm near the beach) would the plants overwinter ok, or are they going to be bare sticks before too long? If so might get pickin and freezin now.
I'm south of you Bribie and get the very occasional light frost/ice on the windscreen. Plants seem to die back and go fairly dormant (I tend to neglect them too) but come back fine in September, esp if they are given a light prune

some prick has been chewing the leaves of my bhut jolokia.

not any more! hopefully this badass hitman will hang around.

544268_10151338791120976_2120132407_n.jpg

Latest posts

Back