Cheaper white labs?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luvbeer

Reaction score
Hi all, just wondering if anyone knows of a good site for cheaper white labs yeast in Australia? Cheers

kenlock said:
Full pint has White Labs yeast. Whether it is cheaper is impossible to answer given you have not stated a reference point.
Agree with the semantics, but I'd say they're pretty cheap, especially if you pick up a "special" (ie one just before/after its best before). Just means you'll need to do a starter... and that's not really hard to do.

$10 ish give or take a bit??? That appears to be the go here.
Trying to save a dollar? Perhaps import it your self?

Well for those prices I think that I'll try Whitelabs yeast. I've always been a Wyeast brewer because that's what was available. More retailers should sell out soon out or just out of date yeasts.
You saw this a lot of this 10 years ago, G&G did it and I used it at times.

Batz

I've used Full Pint for Whitelabs yeasts a few times. Had good results with their specials, as well as the still in date stuff.
Order and freight to Tassie in a day, so no complaints from me.
Cheers
LB

CBC also sell white labs pretty cheap, but their service has, in the past, left some room for improvement, also home male it stock white labs but I've had no dealings with rhea so can't comment there

Nibbo, here in colac (Barwon home brewing) had all his whitelabs at $10 and the soon to be/ passed best date were at $5. He is out of stock I think ATM but with an order in the next few weeks I believe. A few others will do WL for similar, but I've not any better price than this.

jimi said:
Nibbo, here in colac (Barwon home brewing) had all his whitelabs at $10 and the soon to be/ passed best date were at $5. He is out of stock I think ATM but with an order in the next few weeks I believe. A few others will do WL for similar, but I've not any better price than this.
Hmm. My local sells them for $18... I haven't been back there for a while now.

Yob said:
Doesn't carter also do white labs and he is also Canberra based...
Carter is based in Adelaide. We have supplied them with WL's yeast, Nick's a good guy.

Core Brewing Concepts, $7.50 a vial

No affiliation etc

I have tried a few but am very happy with Full Pint...due to them listing exact dates on their site, you know exactly what your getting.
Shits me when you pay good money to get a vial of yeast thats 4 months post production and technically dead.

yum beer said:
I have tried a few but am very happy with Full Pint...due to them listing exact dates on their site, you know exactly what your getting.
Shits me when you pay good money to get a vial of yeast thats 4 months post production and technically dead.
I totally agree. Won't buy liquid yeast online without the EXACT date listed. Well done to FB & CB for listing dates on their websites!

Not to be taken out of context:

Liquid yeasts are a difficult commodity for brew shops to make as a standard stock item. They've got a very limited lifespan and are extraordinarily and inordinantly expensive to fly over to Australia from the states. (Adds roughly 100% to the actual in store cost). Refrigeration at a cost of about 3.00 a day to maintain them at the relevant temperature in commercial refrigeration units that meet regulatory requirements etc etc etc.

Add to that GST, customs clearance fees (last lot was $60.00) and then, to maintain sufficient variety of strains, brew shops will lose somewhere around 20-30% of their stock due to short dating, rather than run out of stock. Now, while the expectation is there to clear that stock at below real cost, it becomes a race to the bottom while clearing stock out below true store cost.

Low date and out of date yeasts can always be kicked with an appropriate starter and will do just fine on the pointy end of making beer.
Everyone understands that side i'm sure.

I'm not sure what is required price wise for liquid yeasts to be at an acceptably low enough price. What i can offer is that your brew shop owners and board sponsors aren't puting a sandwich on the table from outrageous profits made on them. In fact, they're not even buttering the bread. I know we offer liquid yeasts from both manufacturers as more of a service for those who prefer them over the somewhat restricted varieties of dry yeast alternatives.

Like i said at the top, don't take this out of context, but be aware that whoever your chosen supplier is, they're probably not making anything in a very limited market that's flooded to the point of oversupply.

Edit note....just finished work. Fixed a couple of spelling errors but blind as a bat without my glasses and drinking a bloody nice RIS. :)

Latest posts

Back