Cheap Temperature Controller... Which One?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all,

Could someone post a wiring diagram or a photo of the wiring for the STC 1000? I bought one the other day but found the instructions a bit confusing and for obvious reasons want to get it right. Will hook it up to a fridge and a heat pad so will need both sides.

Any help would be great
Thanks,
Todd

Could someone post a wiring diagram or a photo of the wiring for the STC 1000? I bought one the other day but found the instructions a bit confusing and for obvious reasons want to get it right. Will hook it up to a fridge and a heat pad so will need both sides.
In all honesty, if you can't understand the instructions that were supplied with the unit, you are much better getting someone more qualified to install it for you.
You really should have a qualified electrician to do it, since it's playing with 240V and essentially risking your life.

In all honesty, if you can't understand the instructions that were supplied with the unit, you are much better getting someone more qualified to install it for you.
You really should have a qualified electrician to do it, since it's playing with 240V and essentially risking your life.
A LethalCorpse in Wolfy's clothing :D

True enough statement though.

STC - 1000 controller works a treat. :beerbang:

I vouch for the STC 1000 ... just over a week from Hong Kong and with postage around $30 bucks. Connect to fridge and heating belt at same time which is great if trying to keep the brew at 11 - 12 degrees when overnight ambient temp is low.

Need to purchase a couple of short extension cords and there is a bit of wiring. Mines in a lunch box as well

Hi Odd1,
The instructions that come with the unit are fine for someone who knows what they are doing.
If you take these instructions to a sparkie mate he'll have you going in less than an hour.
The most time consuming part will be the actual mounting of the controller in an enclosure.
Maybe you could do that part, and leave the dangerous stuff to someone who understands.

+1

cutting square (err, rectangular) holes is a pain in the arse.

dremel really helps though.

rob.

Ive been looking at quality_link2000 stuff for a couple of hours now and can not find any mention of stc - 1000 would prefer that one than the 100, can anyone send me a current working link for the 1000 version?

Here you go:
Diagram
Hi all,

Any help would be great
Thanks,
Todd

Thanks mate, Had no idea these cooled AS WELL as heated automatically!!

Wood88,

Thanks very much.
Done and sorted and with minimal fuss now have everything operational.
Works fantastic and is keeping the first brew +/- 0.5 degree of set point. Great little unit.

I bought an STC-1000 and wired it up last night. I'm yet to use it for a brew but it seems to work well.

I mounted it in this case from Jaycar. Just needed to drill a few holes in the back plate and it looks really nice and neat.

One thing to note is that I found that the compressor delay units are 20 seconds instead of 1 minute on my controller (e.g. a compressor delay of 3 was causing a 1 minute delay, a delay of 4 would be 1m20s etc).

Isn't that a 120v with a US plug?

QldKev

Yes Kev, I'm not sure why mchitiea is wasting his time posting here. If you buy that item you can't use it here.

SPECIFICATIONS:

LOAD: 16 full load amps @ 120Vac
RANGE: +30^ F to +110^ F (+ - 2^ accuracy)
DIFFERENTIAL: 2^
Nickel plated copper probe
This portable thermostat will handle almost any 120volt heater with no problem or an 8,000 btu air conditioner BUT CHECK YOUR APPLIANCES RATINGS FIRST.

Componants made in USA. Assembled and tested in USA.​
And as Kev correctly noted a USA plug.

Yes Kev, I'm not sure why mchitiea is wasting his time posting here. If you buy that item you can't use it here.

SPECIFICATIONS:

LOAD: 16 full load amps @ 120Vac
RANGE: +30^ F to +110^ F (+ - 2^ accuracy)
DIFFERENTIAL: 2^
Nickel plated copper probe
This portable thermostat will handle almost any 120volt heater with no problem or an 8,000 btu air conditioner BUT CHECK YOUR APPLIANCES RATINGS FIRST.

Componants made in USA. Assembled and tested in USA.​
And as Kev correctly noted a USA plug.

Maybe some of us can take advantage of near parity and enjoy his other bargains.Maybe some also have other 110-120v equipment we already run.

One thing to note is that I found that the compressor delay units are 20 seconds instead of 1 minute on my controller (e.g. a compressor delay of 3 was causing a 1 minute delay, a delay of 4 would be 1m20s etc).

I just went the 10 there max delay havent fermented yet either hmmm still to put in a 150w heater

Oh to have perfect temp stability

I just went the 10 there max delay havent fermented yet either hmmm still to put in a 150w heater

Oh to have perfect temp stability

Just Thought i'd show off my 3 that control my HERMS system
I have a dedicated 20A socked in the garage feeding this as i have 2 2200 Watt elements running off it.

IMG_0318.jpg
IMG_0316.jpg
IMG_0322.jpg

At the risk of asking an idiotic question,, :huh: I'll do it anyhow,,,,,,

Has anybody done the research into how much power is consumed by a fridge with a tempright, compared to one without it?

I was thinkin that a tempright fridge set at say,,,,,18C would not be working as hard as one running normally.

Just weighing up the options of getting one of these setups compared to using a non-working fridge with bottles of ice for fermeter temp control..

Latest posts

Back