Cheap Temperature Controller... Which One?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michael_aussie

Reaction score
I've decided to bit the bullet and buy a few (4?).

The best options I can see are:

Aquarium All-purpose Temperature Controller STC-100
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...E:X:RTQ:US:1123
seller = j16188
$25USD including shipping each for 4 = $27.75AUD each

or

Mini Digital Temperature Controller Thermostat Aquarium
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...E:X:RTQ:GB:1123
seller = quality_link2000
17.50GBP including shipping each for 4 = $29.77AUD each

I have heard the STC-100 mentioned a few times by others here.
Are they any good?? Any problems??
Has anyone purchased off this seller (j16188)??

Has anyone seen/heard of this alternative unit??
Has anyone purchased off this seller (quality_link2000)??

Does anyone have a similiar option less than $30??

I have 2 STC-100's. Never had a problem with them. Got them from quality_link2000. Postage took about 2 weeks to arrive at my door.

Hey Mike

The firs link is an STC-100 and the second link in an STC-1000.....the 1000 is much better than the one hundred, given the small difference in price it is a no brainer.(http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...E:X:RTQ:GB:1123) I bought from qualitylink, no issues. Of course the best issue free way is to buy from our sponsors as you will get extreme service, but i did buy from quality dude and I was happy with the seller and extremely happy with the product.

Dont let me find out u bought the cheaper one!! haha....

Not to mention that qualitylink has 100% positive feedback and the other one doesnt. Also the cheaper one doesnt mention if it comes with a sensor or if it doesnt OR what type of sensor. Convinced u enough. The cost difference in the two (even when buying four) is less than a kilo of LDME or less than 100g of hops.....

Rendo

I've decided to bit the bullet and buy a few (4?).
The best options I can see are:

Sorry. I didn't open the links but i have the STC-1000 models not the 100.

Screwy,
Yes it does, BUT the 1000 will control up to 99C whereas the 100 is up to 70C
IMO the 1000 is the way to go with such a small difference in the price.
Cheers
Nige

Thanks Nige,

Screwy

definatly the ST1000 top unit down to .1*diff, got mine from techex-online[fleabay] bit dearer $37au but here in 6 days

Hey Mike

The firs link is an STC-100 and the second link in an STC-1000.....the 1000 is much better than the one hundred, given the small difference in price it is a no brainer.(http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...E:X:RTQ:GB:1123) I bought from qualitylink, no issues. Of course the best issue free way is to buy from our sponsors as you will get extreme service, but i did buy from quality dude and I was happy with the seller and extremely happy with the product.

Dont let me find out u bought the cheaper one!! haha....

Not to mention that qualitylink has 100% positive feedback and the other one doesnt. Also the cheaper one doesnt mention if it comes with a sensor or if it doesnt OR what type of sensor. Convinced u enough. The cost difference in the two (even when buying four) is less than a kilo of LDME or less than 100g of hops.....

Rendo

Thank you so much guys, especially Rendo.
I appreciate your input, and love this forum.
Looks like I'll be ordering from qualitylink tonight.

I brought one which arrived yesterday arvo brought it from quality_link2000 also. 10 days delivery time from Hong Kong so not too bad, looks like a great little item, just about to head out to Jaycar to find a box to house it in.

I've got the stc-1000s and they work well for fermenting, i am soon to try one for heating the mash water :)

Looks like I'll be ordering from qualitylink tonight.
That would be my choice also (the one I have here works great).
However, don't forget that PayPal's conversion rate and fees make the price a little less attractive if you are paying in a currency other than AUD, the UK price might be slightly cheaper, but then you have to add the conversion and charges. So visit the vendors store and check they don't offer the same item in multiple currencies.

However, don't forget that PayPal's conversion rate and fees make the price a little less attractive if you are paying in a currency other than AUD, the UK price might be slightly cheaper, but then you have to add the conversion and charges. So visit the vendors store and check they don't offer the same item in multiple currencies.

Like so...http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Mini-Digital-Temper...=item4152571655

so did you wire up the heating and cooling to one female input?

I got an STC1000 from quality link and I have to say the turn around was about five days to my PO box. Haven't wired it up yet - waiting for a technician friend to give me guidance to be on the safe side.

so did you wire up the heating and cooling to one female input?

I got an STC1000 from quality link and I have to say the turn around was about five days to my PO box. Haven't wired it up yet - waiting for a technician friend to give me guidance to be on the safe side.
No I only wired up the cooling circuit, I am just using it as a temp controller for my keg freezer. You should be right to wire it up yourself only thing I can recommend is using one of those terminator strips for the wires. The one on my fermentation fridge I soldered and covered with duct tape and it was a major pain in the arse when compared with putting this one together. :icon_cheers:

10 days delivery is pretty good hey, but isnt it amazing how long that 10 days can feel like when you are awaiting the delivery of your new toy....10days is like a year

I brought one which arrived yesterday arvo brought it from quality_link2000 also. 10 days delivery time from Hong Kong so not too bad, looks like a great little item, just about to head out to Jaycar to find a box to house it in.

Hi Guys,

Just a quick follow-up question in regards to your comments about paypal charges.

I didn't realise that paypal would charge for a conversion, I just assumed my bank would do the conversion and charge me their usual rate.
After seeing your postings, I asked the ebay seller for a price in AUD. They were 7.5% more than their GBP price.
I assumed this was excessive, until I started fishing trying to see exactly what paypal would charge me.
I have since read all sorts of horror stories from customers screwed by paypal.
What I wasn't able to determine exactly what paypal would charge when you are buying in a different currency that your "home" currency. It looks like it might range from 2.5% to 7.5%.

Does anyone know were I could find what paypal will charge or do you know what it will be?

I'm not particularly concerned about a few dollars for this transaction, but I would like to know all the facts for the future.

Thankyou,

Michael

I just replied to your PM asking exactly the same thing, but just in-case others were wondering.
As about 2-3 weeks ago, the PayPal AUD to GBP conversion was 1 AUD = 0.54 GBP, or you'd need 1.85 AUD for each GBP.

Edit, the last time I purchased something from the UK was on the 23rd August, and this is the PayPal info:
Exchange rate: 1 Australian Dollar = 0.556438 British Pounds

Back