Cheap Temperature Controller... Which One?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just replied to your PM asking exactly the same thing, but just in-case others were wondering.
As about 2-3 weeks ago, the PayPal AUD to GBP conversion was 1 AUD = 0.54 GBP, or you'd need 1.85 AUD for each GBP.

lol I just replied in PM to your PM reply.
For completeness I'll post my reply here too.

Thankyou for that.
That roughly equates to a 7.5% fee which is robbery.
Based on that I'll definitely buy in AUD.
I'd rather my seller get the extra money than paypal.
Ragards,
Michael​

Definitely mate - do your searches through the au ebay site. Alot of international sellers have international accounts so no transfer fees.

Also purchased a STC-1000 from qualitylink, arrived in 7 days from HK.

Once you buy an extension cord and other bits it's closer to $50. Works perfectly though. I ended up housing it in a decor container with a slot cutout as per one of the previous posts.

Hey read this thread & just bought one so now I'm off to see about this all fridge tomorrow for $50 hope its a gooden

Thanks to all here who pointed me in the right direction

I have 2 now. the cases are not fancy one is in a ice cream box and one is in a 1kg nail box lol. first one had no box for about 3 months

I ended up housing it in a decor container with a slot cutout as per one of the previous posts.

You could spend four dollars on a tupperware style container, or for $8 get a great little black jiffy box from Jaycar. Bit of a ******* to drill, cut and file but makes the unit look that little bit more professional. I added hi-fil speaker terminals to the front panel too for easy attachment of the sensor for when I ever want to change over to an SS probe. Wiring not done yet but I am also going to mount a male 240v PC power supply socket for power in, and a fascia mounted 3 pin female socket for plugging in the device. Just a question on that last one. can I wire in a light switch to change between heating and cooling, instead of having to mount a second female socket?

...and if you have to ask why, PM lethal corpse...

Actually, it's not that bad... just leave the option out... so when it switches, nothing happens.

You could spend four dollars on a tupperware style container, or for $8 get a great little black jiffy box from Jaycar. Bit of a ******* to drill, cut and file but makes the unit look that little bit more professional. I added hi-fil speaker terminals to the front panel too for easy attachment of the sensor for when I ever want to change over to an SS probe. Wiring not done yet but I am also going to mount a male 240v PC power supply socket for power in, and a fascia mounted 3 pin female socket for plugging in the device. Just a question on that last one. can I wire in a light switch to change between heating and cooling, instead of having to mount a second female socket?
The simple answer to your question about using a switch and one female socket is "yes" you can.
I'm not sure exactly WHY you would want to do this. The cost of a switch (would need to be double pole) verses a second female socket negate the cost consideration. However, if you really want to, contact me and I'll send you a wiring diagram. Just a word of warning, if you aren't 100% on electricity, then I would seriously warn again doing this. You could fry your controller, or even worse yourself, if you don't get this right.
I suggest you stick to the simpler and safer one socket per output.

Just a question on that last one. can I wire in a light switch to change between heating and cooling, instead of having to mount a second female socket?

Why do you want a switch to change betwen heating and cooling? The unit has two outputs so doesn't it automatically switch between the two?

Just a question on that last one. can I wire in a light switch to change between heating and cooling, instead of having to mount a second female socket?

The simple answer to your question about using a switch and one female socket is "yes" you can.
I'm not sure exactly WHY you would want to do this. The cost of a switch (would need to be double pole) verses a second female socket negate the cost consideration. However, if you really want to, contact me and I'll send you a wiring diagram. Just a word of warning, if you aren't 100% on electricity, then I would seriously warn again doing this. You could fry your controller, or even worse yourself, if you don't get this right.
I suggest you stick to the simpler and safer one socket per output.

Why do you want a switch to change betwen heating and cooling? The unit has two outputs so doesn't it automatically switch between the two?

Silo wants to connect the two outputs from the controller to a single outlet via a switch.
I'm guessing that in his application he is only heating or cooling, and never needs to heat AND cool.
Therefore Silo is asking if he can use a switch connected to both outputs, and connect this to a single socket.

Once again, yes he can, but no he shouldn't unless there is a really special reason why he needs to.

Silo wants to connect the two outputs from the controller to a single outlet via a switch.
I'm guessing that in his application he is only heating or cooling, and never needs to heat AND cool.
Therefore Silo is asking if he can use a switch connected to both outputs, and connect this to a single socket.

Once again, yes he can, but no he shouldn't unless there is a really special reason why he needs to.

Oh OK. Not enirely sure why you'd do it that way though, given the amount of work he has put into making it neat. A female socket costs like $4, and you'd still have to physically unplug the cooling unit and plug in the heating unit AND switch it when you changeover.

I appreciate people's ingenuity, but it seems an overly complicated way of doing a simple task. Wire in two sockets, plug in heating and cooling device. Leave it alone and let the controller do what it's supposed to do and switch between the two as required. The output not being used doesn't have power through it when not being used.

People should remember this is 240V at 10A. Not 12 V or 4-20mA. This shit kills without bias.

I agree with you michael. Don't do it. There is no reason to.

I feel a Lethal Corpse paddlin' acoming.

Just as a naughty aside, I laugh at the male/female terminology of electrical connections

........instead of having to mount a second female socket?

I'd love the chance to mount a second female socket. I'm not too sure the wife would be so happy. I think she prefers a single socket plug.

my stc100 is awesome,

mounted it in a black jiffy box with two female sockets, one each side (slimline so they're same height as box)

question though.... i struggled getting the orange retaining clips of the controller to tighten down on the 2-3mm wall thickness of the jiffy, to me it looks like they don't go smaller than about 10mm... i ended up supergluing and aralditing it in.... bit dodgy but it is holding...

brilliant product. my brewing is much better for the temp control.

I have purchased 4 off qualitylink. $128AUD including postage.
They have been very easy to deal with so far.
As suggested I purchased in Aussie Dollars to eliminate the currency exchange issues (when I googled this, MANY have had problems with paypal over the top costs).
I am now sitting like a kid counting down the days to Christmas waiting for my package.

My Temp controller cost something like 30$ plus an extension cord which I cut in half.

Yep its the newer Tempmaster from jaycar,

I know that people seem to rubbish it a lot, but as an electronics engineer (used to be) I can't falt it for its simplicity,
Ive had mine running for about a year on "heat" and now ive had it on a Fridge on the cool mode, the actual temp control is a bit tricky to set up, you need a Digital multi meter ( under 15$) you look at voltages and turn a knob to the right "temp" sounds a bit tricky but its all easy. Ive jazzed mine up somewhat so the heat/cool switched are external real switches that are iluminated so i don't forget what its set to do, and im working on an external "pot" for the actual control, If I had the cash id splurge for one of the temp controllers mentioned in this thread, but if you are on a budget and don't mind a bit of fiddling the results are SPOT ON! ive been monitoring the actual temp in relation to the temp i set the kit at and its pretty clear that the kit has the goods.

After my paypal account was cleared, quality_link2000 mailed the controllers.
I received in 6 days from Hong Kong.
I would recommend quality_link2000 on ebay and the controllers look good.

STC1000

I was surprised how physicially small they are.

I have bought three controllers from quality_link, on two seperate occassions. Great service, price, product all round.

After my paypal account was cleared, quality_link2000 mailed the controllers.
I received in 6 days from Hong Kong.
I would recommend quality_link2000 on ebay and the controllers look good.

STC1000

I was surprised how physicially small they are.

STC - 1000 controller works a treat. :beerbang:

Back