Cheap Spiral Burners

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haven't used the product but a single ring might struggle to boil the volume of liquid you're looking at.

They look like the spiral burners that I've seen in MHB in newcastle. If they are, the burner part is identical to the "Italian Spiral Burner" used by many here and is sold on Beerbelly website, in which case, with a suitable (read medium or high pressure) reg, they are capable of quite a decent power output, much better than 2/3/4 ring camping burners with higher pressure regs.

Flame looks good :p
003s.jpg

They were mentioned in a previous thread here

You could pm Gulpa and see if he's still having no issues with his.

When it comes to using burners for home brewing it seems that one shouldn't take the manufacturer's advice when it comes to the recommended regulator.

I use a couple of mongolian burners - and both Auscrown and BB advice using a low pressure regulator. However, hook it up to a medium pressure adjustable reg and you are in business.

No probs with my two.

Mine are similar to the beerbelly ones. Got them from a place mainly geared towards Italian folk who use them to heat up tomato sauce in drums. They do 44 gal drums (105 litres) of the stuff so you should have no issue at all with one of these. Not sure if the stand I have makes much difference though as yours might put the base of the pot a bit higher than mine.

I have been meaning to get a medium pressure reg from beerbelly, but have mine with a low pressure one currently. It heats up 50 litres of water in 55 minutes to 80 degrees. That's pure cold tap water. Would be quicker if you're using hot water from the tap as many do - but that's another debate and er...possibly a poll :ph34r:

With a hot wort in the kettle you get a pretty fast rolling boil out of it - mine takes around 20mins when it's already mashed out at around 70 degrees.

Hopper.

hi guys im looking at moving to all grain. has anyone used these on there setup

http://www.leeswarehouse.com/productShow.asp?id=636

cheers

I'd cantact the supplier and ask how similar the actual item is compared the pictured one, seeings as thought he picture is there for illistration purposes only. May do the same myself as I'm in the market for a burner ATM, and have been looking at the spiral's

The burner itself looks remarkably similar to my BB Italian Spiral, however the stand looks dodgy as; at that price it'd be worth picking one up and putting it through its paces (would be perfect for a cost effective brew frame mounted burner where the supplied frame isn't necessary).

I agree about the "frame", I'd definatly be looking at strengthening it

Ive been using this burner for about 3-4 years now. No problems at all with a medium pressure reg. I cant see why you would pay the extra $ for the italian one. The stand is not as flimsy as it looks - you just have to take care to place the pot in the centre - Ive had 80L stand on it no problems.

cheers
Andrew.

The burner itself looks remarkably similar to my BB Italian Spiral, however the stand looks dodgy as; at that price it'd be worth picking one up and putting it through its paces (would be perfect for a cost effective brew frame mounted burner where the supplied frame isn't necessary).

I've handled both and that stand is thick rigid cast iron, IMO it is at least as sturdy as the pressed sheet stand of the italian one.

Tested mine with the stand and a pot with 45litres in it very sturdy, but than i built a frame and made it ajustable anyway.
DSC_1541.jpg

malbur

I also thought that this might be a good option but they were out of stock when I last went into their store some 2 months ago and they had no idea when they would stock them again.

Sweet, been looking at burners today. I originally had a single ring burner but that only JUST got to the boil (and a very poor boil at that) then i went and bought a double ring burner and while it is better its not that much better, only just boils it with the lid off. I want to do double batches so i need a better one, wish i'd spent the moeny up front now as its already cost me $80 (including ss braid hose).

How well do these cope with a double batch (50L+), what about a triple?

I've been eyeing this bad boy off, i reckon it would do the trick http://cgi.ebay.com.au/18-JET-DUCKBILL-BUR...=item53de9733f7 :)

Went to a brew day on sat and now i need a bigger pot, a bigger burner and a stand! And i spose a march pump, another 2 pots, some hose, grain mill... :)

$18......bugger, ive just shelled out for the Italian burner from BB. oh well. I choose to believe they are better and ill argue with anyone who says they are not :)

Back