Cheap eBay URN for BIAB

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have had one for quite a while, and apart from the cleaning being a bit annoying as the element is hard to access the under side they are fine. Be warned though it is more like 42.5L than 48L.
11379249_1450500455246464_836764775_n.jpg

Just had a look at the eBay and despite the heading saying 48L the descriptions states Water capacity is 40L

Hi everyone,

I'm D!CKO's mate. Complete newbie to brewing (except for that one time I made vegemite soup). D!CKO has been trying to show me the ropes but I've been a bit cautious after my false start.

What an awesome group of people we have here. I wish I found this forum earlier. Thanks all for the feedback.

So far it sounds like this could be a winner to get me started, but with the mention of the exposed element creating potential cleaning headaches I am still undecided whether I should just save a bit more and splash out on something with a better reputation for the long-term. The missus keeps me on a pretty tight schedule - the less the hassle it is, the more brewing I can get to :)

I'll let everyone know when I pull the trigger either way and will try to give back to the community here by posting about my experiences.

BDC

The key to cleaning it is to keep it clean in the first place, dont let it get caked up and you will be fine and dandy.

takai said:
The key to cleaning it is to keep it clean in the first place, dont let it get caked up and you will be fine and dandy.
Thanks for the tip takai, and once again to everyone else for their input.

Consider the trigger officially pulled on the el-cheapo eBay urn. It arrives in a week. That gives me time to prep the garage and sort out the other bits and pieces (like a bag to brew in).

Also my urn came with the tap hole the perfect size for a 1/2" ball valve, so no need to cut a new hole. Best to get a 90deg elbow though to drop the inner pickup point.

Thanks takai. D!CKO has kindly helped me work out the extra bits I need for the ball valve / elbow etc. Urn arrives next week so rigging up some pulleys in the garage for the grain bag this weekend. I'm excited! I'll keep you posted.

Cool. One of the best additions i found for the BIAB urn setup was that mixing bowl. Bought it second hand for $2.50 and drilled a bunch of holes in the bottom. Meant that you didnt need to keep the bag suspended, just lift it up and plop it in the bowl.

Nice. I've seen someone over on BIABrewer.info using one of those strainer baskets you put over the sink. I have one of these already. But I've already got to work on the pulley system so I might as well go all out :). Ordered some stuff from HoppyDays in Qld on Friday night. Confirmation and a few clarifications on my order yesterday ( Sunday) and being shipped today supposedly. Great service!

Finally fired up the urn for a test run last night with about 20 litres of water. It works a treat. Tested first with thermostat set at 70•C and it measured at 68.4•C with my Salter meat probe - not bad. Great purchase. Now to start brewing! :)

Great idea crowmanz. I'm getting the keg king controller for my fridge for fermentation. Didn't think to use it for the urn too. I love this place :D

Thought I should give an update. Uncle @D!CKO came around to give me a hand and the urn worked a treat. Wort is in a cube now waiting for the next step ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1446000083.019841.jpg

Latest posts

Back