Cheap 25l Cubes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

megs80

Reaction score
Hey all,

Im moving to a double batch system and with no money left for a chiller Im going to have to cube. After some looking around on the net I checked with Cospak ( Used to buy bottles from them). They sell 25L stackable cubes ( just like the brewers selection ones just bigger) drilled and bunged for $9.85 each. They also do discounts for full pallets of 64 if someones keen to do a BB. Just thought you all should know as Ive found retaillers charge about $20.

Cheers,
Meggs

good price, wonder if theres a producer in Melbourne, I will now look (they have an office in Melbourne (well lots of places) I will see if they sell em there)

I think you will find that the brewers selectiuon cubes are 15L (top right of pic), but will take about 17L of hot wort.

Wortlabel.jpg

What plastic are they made of - is it food grade? I looked at their site and couldn't see any detail on that.

Note to self. Must read OP properly before posting a reply.

I think that the HDPE is what you need to look for, or is that just to handle the heat?

Edit: "HDPE can withstand somewhat higher temperatures (120 C/ 248 F for short periods, 110 C /230 F continuously)"

Note to self. Must read OP properly before posting a reply.

I think that the HDPE is what you need to look for, or is that just to handle the heat?

Edit: "HDPE can withstand somewhat higher temperatures (120 C/ 248 F for short periods, 110 C /230 F continuously)"

Good to know. I asked the girl if they were food safe but not what material they were made from.

After some looking around on the net I checked with Cospak ( Used to buy bottles from them). They sell 25L stackable cubes ( just like the brewers selection ones just bigger) drilled and bunged for $9.85 each. They also do discounts for full pallets of 64 if someones keen to do a BB. Just thought you all should know as Ive found retaillers charge about $20.
Someone here in Melb tried a BB on cubes before but I don't think it got off the ground. :(
If you're in Sydney there is a guy on EBay from somewhere up that way, that sells used ex-vinegar cubes for a few $ each - I think a number of people from here use them already.

I sent em an email this morning and haven't heard back. But id I do and they only do pallets (64) I would assume we could do it ?

I think you will find that the brewers selectiuon cubes are 15L (top right of pic), but will take about 17L of hot wort.

View attachment 35745

I have a Brewer's Selection cube from when I bought it off Ross as a FWK and it is indeed 15L. I checked it out with my accurate 3L jug to see if it would hold more than its claimed size, as indeed the Willow Cubes do, but nope 15 it is.

I use it for transporting hot water from the solar to the mash tun and it's a good sturdy cube made from the same material as the Willows.

I have a Brewer's Selection cube from when I bought it off Ross as a FWK and it is indeed 15L. I checked it out with my accurate 3L jug to see if it would hold more than its claimed size, as indeed the Willow Cubes do, but nope 15 it is.

I use it for transporting hot water from the solar to the mash tun and it's a good sturdy cube made from the same material as the Willows.

I use these as a no chill cube - (have heaps) My accurate jug measures them at 16.4L
hmmm

I use these as a no chill cube - (have heaps) My accurate jug measures them at 16.4L
hmmm

Yep, I reckon they are about that amount. Haven't measured accurately, but when I dump 'em in my fermenter it says it's 16.5L.

Guys,

Easiest way.....is weigh them. Assuming you have accurate scales.

Weigh the cube empty, weigh the cube full, minues the weight of the cube empty and there you have it, undisputable.

Cause we all know that 1L = 1000g (water only.....! not other liquids etc)

I'll recheck :icon_cheers:

They'd be better if they weren't drilled and bunged. Do you know if they'll sell them "undrilled"?

They do a model undrilled and bunged. They dont have any in stock in Sydney. Im sure they could be ordered in

www.bmwplastics.com.au (Melbourne)

====
Products are sold in pallet lots.

20lt Jerry Can for water, 72 per pallet: $10.10

20 lt cube is 80 per pallet $6.00

60lt drum, 27 per pallet $ 30.00

Prices are ex-gst
====

Guys,

Easiest way.....is weigh them. Assuming you have accurate scales.

Weigh the cube empty, weigh the cube full, minues the weight of the cube empty and there you have it, undisputable.

Cause we all know that 1L = 1000g (water only.....! not other liquids etc)

But you could actually weight it with any liquid if you want, cos we all got hydrometers! Fill 'er up with beer (that's what its for after all), then volume (in litres) = weight in kg divided by FG.

Latest posts

Back