Charity Begins At Home

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

browndog

Are you bulletproof boy?
Reaction score
A couple of months back I recall Joolia anounced a pledge of $435M for Indonesian schools, well good for them I thought. A couple of days ago she announced $1M for the poor all buggers affected by the floods up here in QLD. Now, these are Australians and tax payers and all the stupid bitch can come up with is $1M ????? FFS, what kind of country are we living in? What is their reasoning? "They are aussies, they have insurance, they can afford to rebuild?" Anyone who thought a new age was dawning with a female prime minister must be shaking their heads in disbelief. Bloody polititians MUST realise they are playing with the taxpayers money not their own. I ask that you all email your local federal member as I have done to protest about this bullshit.

Sorry about the expletives

Browndog

I don't know about the details of either event, but what difference does the PM being female make? It annoys me reading mass media about our first female PM, premier & GG and expecting them to somehow be magically different to their male counterparts.

Rob.

The $435M will make a difference for generations. Any money given for the clean-up in QLD would make a difference for 6 months.

Parochial bullshit. [EDIT - The comparison, I mean. $1M is nothing and it would be hard to argue that it is a reasonable figure.]

The $435M will make a difference for generations. Any money given for the clean-up in QLD would make a difference for 6 months.

Parochial bullshit.

Easy for you to say that sitting pretty down there in Vic, how about the thousands of poor buggers that are yet to and going back to homes that have had 5ft of water running through them. The gov can keep my tax dollars in Australia thanks.

Sorry, mate. I clarified my point while you were posting. As above, I agree that $1M is a joke.

The gov can keep my tax dollars in Australia thanks.
I do disagree with this pretty strongly, though. If you want to live in a country that thinks nothing of international obligations then I hear North Korea is nice this time of year.

I do disagree with this pretty strongly, though. If you want to live in a country that thinks nothing of international obligations then I hear North Korea is nice this time of year.

The thing with NK is they don't seem to care about their internal obligations either.

So shouldn't be much of a change compared to how Queenslanders generally like to paint their State anyway.

I don't know about the details of either event, but what difference does the PM being female make? It annoys me reading mass media about our first female PM, premier & GG and expecting them to somehow be magically different to their male counterparts.

Rob.

quite clearly nothing.

For a country of 20million people, I believe we punch well above our weight in the international aid stakes Bum. I've got nothing against international aid, but by the same token, charity begins at home. $1M is 3/4 of FA.

Bum you are totally out of line, we are all Australians, and while we are on the subject of politics I wonder how the current government is feeling at the moment about giving away 28 billion dollars, the complete amount of the tax payers future fund?

This give away was mostly spent on electrical appliances and gambled. This was after the tax payer helped prop up the major banks during the global financial crisis. Twelve or so months later reports of an overheating economy sparked the reserve bank to increase interest rates. So the only winners from this decision where overseas manufacturing companies and Australian banks. What really saddens me is as Australians we voted in a useless government for the second time. Shame on us!

I gotta say I'd respect a Government that said "**** 'em. That's what insurance is for." more than one that puts such a bullshit amount forward so they can appear to be doing something when, in real terms, they clearly aren't. So you get no argument out of me there - it is a drop in the ocean (if you'll excuse the unintentional and distasteful pun) and an insult.

But comparing it to worthwhile aid programs that happen to be overseas smacks of Nationalism and saying "keep my tax dollars in Australia" is not at all the same thing as "charity begins at home". Charity beginning at home implies it then spreads elsewhere.

Bum you are totally out of line, we are all Australians

Perhaps I may be but I have absolutely no idea what this means.

and while we are on the subject of politics I wonder how the current government is feeling at the moment about giving away 28 billion dollars, the complete amount of the tax payers future fund?
I imagine they're pretty happy about how the rest of the world has looked to how we dealt with the GFC and how it left us largely untouched. Not just untouched but with an economy that is growing so fast that it needs to be reigned in when much of the rest of the developed world is still experiencing record unemployment and home foreclosures.

I gotta say I'd respect a Government that said "**** 'em. That's what insurance is for." more than one that puts such a bullshit amount forward so they can appear to be doing something when, in real terms, they clearly aren't. So you get no argument out of me there - it is a drop in the ocean (if you'll excuse the unintentional and distasteful pun) and an insult.

But comparing it to worthwhile aid programs that happen to be overseas smacks of Nationalism and saying "keep my tax dollars in Australia" is not at all the same thing as "charity begins at home". Charity beginning at home implies it then spreads elsewhere.

well said :icon_cheers:

Perhaps I may be but I have absolutely no idea what this means.

I imagine they're pretty happy about how the rest of the world has looked to how we dealt with the GFC and how it left us largely untouched. Not just untouched but with an economy that is growing so fast that it needs to be reigned in when much of the rest of the developed world is still experiencing record unemployment and home foreclosures.

Bum, we were untouched, you unfortunately as the government did, listened to the media.

Gregs, seriously, have a read of the current financial state of the US. Have a read of the current financial state of the UK. Most economists (internationally) point towards what you suggest as our "problem" as having been our "salvation" (low unemployment (tipped to be getting lower next quarter), growing economy).

Our economy is fine, in fact by todays standards its to good hence to current interest rate rises.

Easy for you to say that sitting pretty down there in Vic, how about the thousands of poor buggers that are yet to and going back to homes that have had 5ft of water running through them. The gov can keep my tax dollars in Australia thanks.

dunno that we are all sitting pretty down here mate. there is still hundreds of poeple who have not been able to rebuild or move back home since the bushfires. a lot of them are still living in caravans even through snow in october. this is after millions have been handed out by the government and the general public and generally sqaundered. my mother in law only finally moved back into her house 3 months ago. im not saying that poeple in qld are not doing it tough or that we should do nothing to help, we all should obviosly do something, but living in the bushfire affected area and having lost family to it i really do resent that particular remark that we are all sitting pretty.that said i really do wish the best of luck to any one suffering up there at the moment.

dunno that we are all sitting pretty down here mate. there is still hundreds of poeple who have not been able to rebuild or move back home since the bushfires. a lot of them are still living in caravans even through snow in october. this is after millions have been handed out by the government and the general public and generally sqaundered. my mother in law only finally moved back into her house 3 months ago. im not saying that poeple in qld are not doing it tough or that we should do nothing to help, we all should obviosly do something, but living in the bushfire affected area and having lost family to it i really do resent that particular remark that we are all sitting pretty.that said i really do wish the best of luck to any one suffering up there at the moment.

My appologies to you Beerhog, the bushfires in Victoria affected me deeply, I was only speaking directly to Bum when I made that reference.

Back