Changing bottling bell on Superautomatica

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hwall95

Reaction score
Anyone have know how to get these bottling bells off? By the looks off the triage bell I bought it should just screw off but the currently attached one just spins freely. Is there a trick to removing these things?

The only other thing I can think off is the screw thread has rusted off and broken..

If anyone has any ideas, let me know.

Cheers,
Harry

1459123262868.jpg

1459123279290.jpg

Wow. Yeah mine screws off, but it comes out (once unscrewed) with the spring and retainer barrel. What you have on the left photo seems to be the whole assembly.

Can you reinstall with the lever, push it down (as though you were pressing cap into a bottle) then unscrew? This would put it under some compression so it bites a little better.

I only say this because I did this a couple of times last night bottling my dubbel in champagne bottles... :)

It should unscrew, the thread is "riveted" into the bell and its possible that the thread is rested in and has come loose from the bell.
Look down from the bell end, turn the bell, if the inside isn't turning - A bigish easy-out is the only thing I can think of off hand.
It is possible that your capper is a real antique and the bell is formed on, some like 40 years old were made differently.

If you do get it apart it might be worth investing in a new standard 26mm bell as well as the 29mm Triage you have. Or a new capper.
Mark

MHB said:
It should unscrew, the thread is "riveted" into the bell and its possible that the thread is rested in and has come loose from the bell.
Look down from the bell end, turn the bell, if the inside isn't turning - A bigish easy-out is the only thing I can think of off hand.
It is possible that your capper is a real antique and the bell is formed on, some like 40 years old were made differently.

If you do get it apart it might be worth investing in a new standard 26mm bell as well as the 29mm Triage you have. Or a new capper.
Mark
Yep seems your right mark, the thread has come loose of the bell.. Guess I either find a way to get the bell off and a new 26mm or just buy a new capper. Bit of a pain since I rarely bottle beers these days

Harry, I'll have a play with my one that is probably the same as yours.

Edit : It just unscrews Harry, it should be a straight swap in - if its a Superatomica. PS thanks for that raspberry taster Saturday.

Try some WB-40 or similar to see if it'll free up?

Latest posts

Back