Chang Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt white

Reaction score
Had a few of these over the last few weeks. For a Thai bland, inoffensive lager it is surprisingly good...and only $40 per box from a large supermarket chain who claim they are keeping it at this price for good! Better then all the euro lagers I reckon.

Anyone think the same....different?

Cheers,

Gil

I'm not really a fan. I was surprised that it actually tastes considerably different to the Chang you get in Thailand (which is horrible stuff).

I remember the alcohol being quite noticeable (~6%), therefore making the drink less enjoyable, but would probably prefer a Singha over Chang.

I always struggle to enjoy many beers outside of their country of origin, sometimes because they are brewed under license in Aus (and therefore taste different) but generally because run of the mill, cheap beers in one country, get slapped with a $50 price tag in Australia and is somehow marketed as a 'premium' beer. Sometimes I'll see a mate (one which hasn't travelled much of the world) with a carton of Kronenbourg and cringe at the concept. He brags that it's this delicious French beer! I sulk about how much he just payed for blandness.

Kronenbourg is France's cheap beer (retails at about $70 a carton here)
Stella is Belgiums cheap megaswill, and is one of the cheaper pints of lager in the UK.
Corona is Mexico's cheap drink.
Peroni is Italy's cheap drink.
Bintang is Bintang

So I can safely say, the next time I drink Chang will be when I'm in Thailand and can laugh at a bill for a meal, which only costs me $4 including 2 stubbies of Chang.

I believe that it is imported from Thailand, not brewed under licence.

I actually like Beer Chang have their screensaver with 2 elephants on my laptop.

Yes imported from Thailand but less alcohol for export here. Beer taxed on alcohol content in Australia.

chang =elephant in thai.

Carlsberg elephant beer in Denmark. High alcohol beer in Denmark like Carlsberg Special Brew.

yeah i dont mind a chang, quite refreshing ! got an asian beer pack from uncle dans 8x330mls for $9.95 which had two lil changs in it . went down a treat :)

Latest posts

Back