Cerny Pivo

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimi007

Reaction score
Hi

Has anyone brewed the Cerny Pivo Fresh Wort with the whitelabs lager yeast WLP800?

I would like to know what is the best temp to pitch the yeast as the wort would be coldish when pitching?

Also what is the best fermenting temp for this brew?

Thanks

Jimi

Oh you lucky man, great brew.

I've never used the whitelabs yeast on a dark lager, I usually just use dried yeast like Saflager.

How much yeast is provided? Perhaps you need to grow up a starter if you wish to pitch below 18 deg C.
The Saflager packs clearly ( if in very fine print ) recommend 2 packets when pitching at lager temps.

I have just started a similar all-extract brew that I've dreamt up myself from tinned liquid malts, I pitched Coopers lager yeast at 22 deg C and cooled it to 15 deg C overnight. Today it's bubbling away nicely at that temp. Hopefully it will go cooler tonight, but sadly my fridge motor died so I'm limited to a few freezer packs and ice blocks for cooling.

I don't know if you have a fridge, or where you are climtae wise, but I'd be brewing it as cool as you can manage down to 13 deg C once you get it bubbling on the first day. I've never been game to go below 14 deg C in case I stop the fermentation ( and I'm impatient ), but really it's up to you. You have certainly picked the right time of year to brew a dark lager.

PS If you're worried about a coldish wort just whack in a litre or two of boiling water instead of the cold water they say to add, or are you brewing it at full strength? Even so maybe just remove a few litres and heat gently on the stove. Cold wort is much easier to fix than hot wort.

The Cerny Pivo is a great drop and as you like a darker beer give the double choc stout a go, very very tasty beers.

I know they can be considered expensive but they are a very handy alternative.

enjoy

I have tasted the wort on this beer and i'm looking forward to it. Has a great taste to it.

I pitched the whitelabs liquid yeast in at 22 deg C and have left it a day. And now cooling it to around 16 deg C.

The OG started at 1035 which i thought is low.

It hasn't started bubbling but after a day the OG is now 1034.

Does this sound normal? Should i let it go for a few days and see if the reading goes down or does the airlock need to be bubbling?

Any help appreciated

thanks

Jimi

I put my Cerny down yesterday, used Brew Cellar European Lager Yeast pitched at 18 degC the OG was 1.043. Have it sitting in the fridge at 13 deg C at the moment. Fingers crossed it comes out the goods, have heard many good things about this FWK.

I put my Cerny down yesterday, used Brew Cellar European Lager Yeast pitched at 18 degC the OG was 1.043. Have it sitting in the fridge at 13 deg C at the moment. Fingers crossed it comes out the goods, have heard many good things about this FWK.

I think it'll be alright.

I just checked mine. Fermentation is down to 1017 from 1035 and working nicely. Just took a bit longer for the whitelabs yeast to get started. Mine is at 17 deg C and tastes beautiful so far.

Will leave it fermenting for awhile before bottling.

I have tasted the wort on this beer and i'm looking forward to it. Has a great taste to it.

I pitched the whitelabs liquid yeast in at 22 deg C and have left it a day. And now cooling it to around 16 deg C.

The OG started at 1035 which i thought is low.

It hasn't started bubbling but after a day the OG is now 1034.

Does this sound normal? Should i let it go for a few days and see if the reading goes down or does the airlock need to be bubbling?

Any help appreciated

thanks

Jimi

Low OG - where did you get sample from, is it completely stirred, did you add any water?

Lack of bubbling is usually a poor seal, either around the air lock or on the drum lid. No sweat - if you add viable yeast to an unfermented brew at 22 deg C then fermentation MUST take place, just as night turns into day. I always pour boiling water over the drum seal before putting on the lid, it not only cleans but also softens the seal to allow a good tight fit. Can be a bugger to undo though.

My extract version started life with OG of 1063 and has been bubbling away nicely for 8 days,
must be ready to slow down soon.

1 can Coopers Pilsener
1 can dark malt extract
1 can Master Blend Roasted Black extract
1 packet Saaz hops boiled 15 min
1/2 kg Brew Enhancer

Coopers lager yeast

Smells a bit more like a stout than a dark lager at the moment though

Low OG - where did you get sample from, is it completely stirred, did you add any water?

Lack of bubbling is usually a poor seal, either around the air lock or on the drum lid. No sweat - if you add viable yeast to an unfermented brew at 22 deg C then fermentation MUST take place, just as night turns into day. I always pour boiling water over the drum seal before putting on the lid, it not only cleans but also softens the seal to allow a good tight fit. Can be a bugger to undo though.

My extract version started life with OG of 1063 and has been bubbling away nicely for 8 days,
must be ready to slow down soon.

1 can Coopers Pilsener
1 can dark malt extract
1 can Master Blend Roasted Black extract
1 packet Saaz hops boiled 15 min
1/2 kg Brew Enhancer

Coopers lager yeast

Smells a bit more like a stout than a dark lager at the moment though

It is an NDbrewers fresh wort 15 litre mix and i added 5 litres of water to it.

I then added the yeast and got a sample from the fermenter and the reading was 1035. It is down to about 1012 at moment so going down nicely.

Hopefully will be ready to bottle soon but tastes great at moment

It is an NDbrewers fresh wort 15 litre mix and i added 5 litres of water to it.

I then added the yeast and got a sample from the fermenter and the reading was 1035. It is down to about 1012 at moment so going down nicely.

Hopefully will be ready to bottle soon but tastes great at moment
Jimi,
I don't know what the og for this kit was , but adding the 5 litres of water is what has made YOUR Og 1.035...
Now , if it were me , I woulnd't keep tasting and checking it every few days..patience is the key and you'll lesten your chance of an infection too...depending what temp your fermenting at , I wouldn't touch it for at least 2 weeks...
Also , air lock activity means fermentation ...no activity doesn't also mean that there isn't fermentation ..you could have a poor seal..no biggie..never rely on your airlock...your hydrometer is your friend !
The typical temp for a lager yeast is between 9 & 14 degrees...which is one of the reasons fermentation is slower with yeasts at that temp...
Anyway , good luck with it
Ferg

any updates on this guys? i put mine down to ferment on Monday.

as you can see from my earlier post my OG was 1.043. Has been going along for 2.5 weeks at 13degrees and the reading today was 1.018 so it seems to be taking a while, though since this is my first lager in the temp controlled fridge i'm guessing that is due to the lower temps. Hopefully she'll be ready for bottle by start of next week..

from experience would using 2 packs of yeast speed up the fermentation process?

my OG was 1040, I might take a reading over the weekend to see how its going, its bubbling away quite easily, and I dropped the temp to 10 last night, started at 15.

Latest posts

Back