Cereal, wheat-bix bready flavour

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cstew

Reaction score
I get a cereal, wheat-bix or bread flavour from a couple of craft beers (quiet deeds - pale) and from a previous FWK I've brewed. All inn Mercenary APA. I don't know if this is a desirable or undesirable flavour for most; but I like it and want to add it to my own all grain brews.

Mercenary APA - cite using Ale, Wheat and Crystal malts in this FWK

Quiet Deeds - Cara Pils, Crystal, Pale and Munich

Nothing stands out as very different with that combo, so maybe not malt related. I used US-05 with the FWK but never got this flavour from it before. I also don't get it from wheat beer and use wheat in a lot of other APAs so not sure it's the wheat addition. I've had it with other craft beers but can't remember which ones.

Try using nothing but Marris otter and some oats

You should get the weetbix / biscuit notes just from the malt

There are a few options, and it will depend on the style you are brewing. In no particular order, a few different malts that will give you a bready/biscuit flavour include:
- Biscuit malt
- Victory Malt
- Maris otter
- Wiener (Vienna) Malt
- Munchen (Munich) Malt
- Wheat (to a lesser extent)

I use a bit of munich and victory in my APA (about 5% of each) to get that specific flavour.

JD

Thanks for the suggestions I might try JD's suggestion of Munich and victory in my next pale see how I go.

Latest posts

Back