Central West brew club interest

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheWiggman

Haters' gonna hate
Reaction score
Calling all Orange, Bathurst, Manildra, Molong, and locals to other towns in the Central West area. There has been some interest in putting together a brew club for new and experienced brewers. Apparently the area used to be very big on the brewing scene but has died off of late.

If ever there's a hobby that could be considered an obsession, this is it. Rather than inconvenience my wife who's already fed up with Erlennmeyer flasks in the kitchen, brew days, half-rinsed fermenters and empty bottles, I'm hoping there might be others out there in the same boat who'd like to share their experiences and knowhow (for those with it) for the community to benefit.

Smartaform was generous enough to put in some time to get this ball rolling. Please show an expression of interest so we could arrange a meetup at the very least and use this thread for all things brewing in the area.

Thanks for starting the thread wiggman, I know there was interest from a few guys in Oberon as well.

Where would be a good meeting point for everyone first up? Beekeepers Inn??

Very keen to see this happen.
Bee keepers Inn works for me.
Sunday next week (26th) works for me.

Good to hear. I was going to suggest Beekeepers but didn't know how it would suit. If the owner of the place was keen to be involved that would definitely make for some interesting hater with the brewery next door.
I'm brewing next Saturday but Sunday should be ok. Not with my wife though no doubt.

hey guys
I'm very keen to meet up on the 26th at the bee keepers. it would be great to catch up and have a yarn, my missus is sick of beer talk at home,
cheers willo

Righto gents, who's up? I've had the lamb burger recommended so as far as I'm concerned I'm booked in. I'm thinking 11:30 AM for a bit of a chat then lunch this Sunday.
I have a few brews in 500ml cider bottles that I'm willing to swap.

Was anyone at Taste of Orange last night? Badlands, beekeeper a and a new brewery Borenore Brewhouse were there.
Had a quick chat to the fella and he mentioned he was interested in joining/starting a club but at Borenore at his setup. It's not far out of Orange and about 10 people live there. Found it a bit odd.
Had batch 4 of his pale ale and wasn't overly impressed. Too bitter, and then I noted on his website he is growing Galaxy and using that for the brews. Probably has a higher AA than he's expecting. It had a tang to it as well, maybe from dry hopped Galaxy? Could suit some palettes, not mine.
If you're in Orange check it out on tap at the Metro and judge for yourself.

Sounds like tomorrow won't necessarily work for everyone...should we take a raincheck?

Borenore Brewery have cool growlers...I agree, the pale is nothing special. From chatting to him, it sounds like he was a homebrewer, and he is still learning to brew at that scale..

Raincheck, yes. Maybe this is why clubs have struggled around here? In any case the family and I will be going to Beekeepers to check it out anyway. I'm guessing around the 11 mark. I have a 5 yo boy and a boy and girl 3 yo twins (my girl has beautiful red locks). It should be pretty obvious who I am. My name's Leigh. I'll bring a late hopped pride lager and dry stout in case someone shows up.
Regarding the growlers yeah they look snazzy, but I certainly didn't have $76 on me. Ouch.

He's charging $76 for them...woah! I got mine for about $40...but he had figured out the pricing yet!

I'll give a miss today. Maybe we should plan something really easy as a start point? Meet up for a beer one evening a church bar (they have the best tap range in town!)? Minimal effort, easy starting point...

Haha, minimal effort for the Bathurst folk. I live in Orange. We'll suss out a hard date and I might get a PM happening with a list of contact details so we're not relying on replies to this thread. I've heard good things about the church bar though so this sounds like a good excuse for me to visit it.

Guys
It is the Bigfella here from the Country Brewer. Yes, I am in the shop on a Sunday to meet a customer from out of town.
I think the idea of some private E-Mails would be a good idea and not rely on the forum.
I would be prepared to hand out a small flyer from the shop to my Grain Brewers and others as well that a "Brew Club" is proposed to be set up.
With Christmas coming up it will be difficult to get all interested together. I will be retiring from the shop at the end of December (I have sold the Franchise) but I would still be happy to assist in getting some type of club off the ground but I wouldn't take on any roles of running it as I intend to travel when retired.
I personally think that the Beekeeepers Inn would still be the place to start up as it would be central for most that seem interested.
I will give you my home E-Mail which is [email protected]
Cheers

Tha Bibfella

This is really an interesting idea Wiggman. Even I am ready for Central West Brew Club. Looking forward for an early catch-up with all brewers.

Ackowledging your post beanroy. You in Orange or Bathurst?
I ended up at Beekeepers, no sign of avid brewers.
Still keen to get some sort of meetup happening but have been flat out at work and home recently. With the year winding up it might be a bit hard but if people are available then a meetup is still on teh cards for me. I'll PM to put together some e-mails when I think of it once home.

Currently fermenting/conditioning are Czech Pils, XXXX Bitter, DSGA and Banagum Pride (wheat beer I concocted). Willing to do a swapsies or two.

Sorry all but I've skipped town and traded for better weather on the NSW/Vic border. A shame nothing happened. Good luck with future efforts.

Sorry, must of missed this thread first time around. I'd be keen for a brew club in the area. Borenore suits me being from Manildra. Beekeepers is a bit of a stretch being out the other side of Orange, but we'll try to make any event that is organised.

Latest posts

Back