Castle Hill Competition 2015

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stuster

Big mash up
Reaction score
So it's finally all come together and I can announce that the Castle Hill competition will be held on 22nd and 23rd August at the Castle Hill Showground. There are some fantastic prizes with Champion Brewer and Best in Show prizes being the stand outs (thanks to Wayward Brewing and to Barleyman).

We'll be using the new 2015 BJCP styles which will be a bit of a challenge for the judges but they are definitely an improvement in clarity on the old style guidelines. We are always looking for judges and stewards, so if you want to drink some beer and talk to fellow brewers (plus do a tiny bit of writing), please fill out the form at [SIZE=14pt]http://goo.gl/forms/Zdcepfhx3b[/SIZE]. Lunch is also provided.

The new styles has so many styles that I've put them into 9 super categories which all have prizes thanks to our sponsors - Rocks Brewing, Wayward Brewing, Barleyman, the Brewshop/ESB, Dave's Homebrew and Shenanigans Brewing.

All information on dates and places for dropping off your entries are in the flyer. (Make sure you do the electronic entry form as well as the paper form.)

Good luck to all and hope to see some of you at the competition.

Stuart

View attachment Castle Hill Comp Flyer 2015.pdf

Not this year. The HUB guys are running the state competition this year. It's unfortunate that we have both competitions around the same time but I have to book in the dates with the show people a year in advance and there was no way to change this.

Anyway, it's good that there are two comps going and no reason not to put entries into both, compare feedback from two sets of judges and hopefully pocket two lots of prizes. ;)

Stuster said:
Not this year. The HUB guys are running the state competition this year. It's unfortunate that we have both competitions around the same time but I have to book in the dates with the show people a year in advance and there was no way to change this.

Anyway, it's good that there are two comps going and no reason not to put entries into both, compare feedback from two sets of judges and hopefully pocket two lots of prizes. ;)
And on the plus side it will be interesting to see beers entered against old and new style guidelines and any differences...

Just bumping this to the top so people don't miss this. Open to all, not just NSW folk, so why not have a crack at winning that conical! :beerbang:

How many people come along to events like this and is entry to view the competition free?

You can pay me a dollar if you want to but it is free. All are welcome to view. Usual thing about not interrupting the judging but there is always someone to explain procedures.

your cheap barry i was going to say 20 bucks.

Great stuff. Form filled out. Looking forward to it.

Working Sunday, so it's only a one day cameo this year.

Nice work, Josh. Good you can make it along there again. Trust you are going to be putting some beers in as well. :beerbang:

Stuster said:
Nice work, Josh. Good you can make it along there again. Trust you are going to be putting some beers in as well. :beerbang:

I think this time I can keep a promise and be there. :super:

Stuster, you mentioned "super categories" of which you mention there are 9. Are these the same categories mentioned in "A maximum of 3 entries per category" rule?

Or do you mean that under "super categories" there are categories like "A. German Wheat Beer (BJCP 10)" etc -- and those are meant in "3 entries" rule?

Btw I don't know what you were thinking about when writing about "chronical fermenter" :p

Hi Stuster,

The AABC has this competition listed as the NSW state competition, can you please clarify if that is correct ?

( I understand that HUB have put there club up for the state comp on the 8th & 9th )

http://www.aabc.org.au/

Stuster said:

he already has previously . pratty

Hey guys, rules state to submit a 500ml bottle but can this be 330ml bottle x 2? Thanks

SixStar said:
Hey guys, rules state to submit a 500ml bottle but can this be 330ml bottle x 2? Thanks
in previous years this has been ok.

Pratty1 said:
Hi Stuster,

The AABC has this competition listed as the NSW state competition, can you please clarify if that is correct ?

( I understand that HUB have put there club up for the state comp on the 8th & 9th )

http://www.aabc.org.au/
I'm not sure why they have our comp as the NSW state comp, but I'll look into it. As I stated earlier though, the HUB guys are running the state comp this year. We'll be having the Castle Hill comp 2 weeks later than that. No reason not to put your beers into both. Interesting to get different tasting notes and see what different judges pick up. Plus twice the chance to win. :p

Codehopper, I am referring to the 9 super-categories - just 3 entries in each of those, so only 27 entries in total. :super:

SixStar said:
Yes, that'd be fine. I put a bit bigger than that just as that makes it easier to ensure there's enough for the judges, but you should be ok with 330mlx2 bottles.

Sweet, head office has just given permission for me to steward, should be able to make both days.

Cheers

steve

Latest posts

Back