Cask Conditioned Ales - Try It At Home

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok- can get u red wine barrels - but the red wine penetrates deeper and therefore when scraped the staves will not be aas thick.

U should get a coat of varnish on the barrel to also help reduce oxidation/slow maturation.

Ken...

Happy with white wine barrel.

No varnish - will stick with tradition

As for the scrape/shave I'm not sure how to describe this in coopering terms. But I'm after a very minor scrape. So not cut back to new oak, just scraped clean. (maybe this is referred to as unshaved?)

Asher for now

cool - but you can have a minor clean scrape in red wine - depends on what u r puting in there - a light scrape in white wine barrel would be good for imparting soem oak flavours into APA or for cask conditioned Golden Ales.

Still waiting on the SS price - might just be SS Ball Valves.

Ducatiboy stu said:
I wish they are available in 50ltrs....

If I package beer from the micro in containers larger than 48ltrs then the excise is reduced...

Ross..dont worry, i wont be using THAT yeast you tried in Tamworth...although it has started to settle after about 4 mnths..
[post="75804"][/post]​

Ducatti Boy

Just got off the phone with the Cooper - 50ltrs is no problem - u can specify your own size - it will be within 2 ltrs - ie 50ltr will be 48-52 ltrs.

Hope this helps you out.

Yep, that sounds fine....

Wonder if there are any micro's in Oz doing a proper cask cond ale....?

Could be a winner...

Ducatiboy stu said:

Could be a winner...

I only know of one brewery in the UK still using wood casks, Harveys. And i'm pretty sure they only do it for a couple beers too.

Everyone else I've looked into uses SS.

GMK said:
cool - but you can have a minor clean scrape in red wine - depends on what u r puting in there - a light scrape in white wine barrel would be good for imparting soem oak flavours into APA or for cask conditioned Golden Ales.

Still waiting on the SS price - might just be SS Ball Valves.

Oaky Golden Ales are certainly an interesting thought.... Wonder if the tannins would be too much though..

So - Kook and Ducati boy - how many do i pencil in for you guys.

Pencil me in for the following, so long as freight to perth is less than $25 per cask:

25L ex white wine with a very light shave just to clean
9L new medium toast

No taps required.

kook said:
Ducatiboy stu said:

Could be a winner...

I only know of one brewery in the UK still using wood casks, Harveys. And i'm pretty sure they only do it for a couple beers too.

Everyone else I've looked into uses SS.
[post="76060"][/post]​
Seconded. Cask conditioned DOES NOT MEAN conditioned in wood. Virtually all cask conditioned beer is conditioned in stainless steel or aluminium casks (and, occasionally now, plastic).

Only Sam Smiths put all their cask conditioned beer into wooden casks.
Wadworths use wooden casks for some of their best outlets close to the brewery.
JW Lees likewise
Theakstons likewise.
St Austell use wooden pins (4.5 gallon casks) for special events and for when they need pins (metal pins have been very hard to get hold of for several years).
The above are, I believe, the only breweries that employ a full or part-time cooper.
A few other breweries have a small number of wooden casks for special events, special beers, etc.

Maturing in wood and cask conditioning are not the same thing. The two can go together, or you can have either one on its own.

If you mature beer in a wooden cask and then transfer it (flat) to a keg and carbonate it in the keg, then it is not cask conditioned.

If you naturally carbonate your beer in a stainless keg, vent it appropriately, and serve it without positive pressure CO2, then it is cask conditioned without coming within shouting distance of wood.

3 Ravens do - in proper, English stainless steel casks.

I was thinking of using mine for barleywines for starters and eventually if it become infected, belgians.
What does a cask do that a plastic cannot for lambics?

Darren

I am getting an old Sherry Cask - unshaved and unvarnished 45ltr for my Barley Wine.
I will brew 40+ ltrs and then brew a BW batch every 6 months - that bottle old - replace with new.
We are brewing this as a Club - ie 3 BBC Members will be sharing in it.

GMK said:
I am getting an old Sherry Cask - unshaved and unvarnished 45ltr for my Barley Wine.
I will brew 40+ ltrs

Jeez Ken how big is your mash tun these days? 40+ litres. If the intended barleywine is around the 1.120 mark you'll almost need a whole sack of malt.

Cheers
MAH

Ok - just took delivery of the first 5 Barrels.
Pic one shows my 2 Barrels - a 25ltr on the table draining into the second 45ltr barrel.
Barrels1.jpg
No leaks - a bit of weeping on the 25ltr barrel - just rinsing into the large one.
When finished - will be putting the AG London Porter into the Barrel for 4 weeks Oak Aging.

Here is a pic of the other 3 barrels - 1x 15ltr, 2 x 25ltr
Barrles2.jpg

All the Barrels are ex Sherry/Port - unshaved & Cleaned.
The guys who are interested - just let me know/confirm and i will get the order under way.
They come with brass taps - except mine come woth SS Sample Winecocks - as i am a SS Freak - they cost more.

Hey GMK,

You mention that the barrels you got before Xmas were ex Sherry/Port.
You wouldn't happen to have access to ex Bourbon barrells would you ?

Beers,
Doc

no - sorry....

aaahhh the perks of living in the barossa.
they look to be in excellant condition ken

cheers
big d

:(

Hmm, saw this about 4 months too late. Any chance of a second order?

I can do orders as they come in....

just let me know...

Ken...

Latest posts

Back