Cask and Hand-pump

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm in Yorkshire mate but thanks anyway. Sampling as much hand pulled and craft beers as possible, craft beers and beers in general are so cheap compared with Australia, got to enjoy it while I'm here, it would be criminal not to!

couldnt agree with you more. Yorkshire a lovely county, if you can get across to Whitby, took note at the forecast as we flew out and loks like there is a bit more nice weather to come. there is a local pub by the harbour that has local cask ales for under 2 quid. just the place to kill a bit of time waiting for your reservation time at the magpie cafe.

iam back home now adjusting from jetlag and my angram and hunting scene handles made it home just fine. check in luggage right on the allowance. needed every bit of our carry on as well, was pretty warm checking in wearing all my heavy clothes,

couldnt agree with you more. Yorkshire a lovely county, if you can get across to Whitby, took note at the forecast as we flew out and loks like there is a bit more nice weather to come. there is a local pub by the harbour that has local cask ales for under 2 quid. just the place to kill a bit of time waiting for your reservation time at the magpie cafe.

iam back home now adjusting from jetlag and my angram and hunting scene handles made it home just fine. check in luggage right on the allowance. needed every bit of our carry on as well, was pretty warm checking in wearing all my heavy clothes,
We normally go to Whitby on our trips back to UK but we won't be this time but the F&C's are great at the Magpie, I think it reopened after the fire (not 100% sure) but there are heaps of other places that are just as good there. One of our regular lunch time pubs is at the bottom of the steps that go up to the Abbey, great harbour views, not sure if that's the one you mentioned? Glad you got the pump home, I may look at one on my next visit and I'll have a few more brews under my belt. Managed to aquire 4 new branded pint glasses, two were given to me by a very kind landlord, Theakstons and a Black Sheep the others are a Boddington and Ossett Brewery.

While you are in Yorkshire get up into the dales to the tea plantations, can't beat Proper Strong.;)
While in the dales , do to the white scar cave is well worth a visit. 90 minute tour is excellent.

I think it reopened after the fire (not 100% sure)

it did indeed, was there about 4 weeks ago.

One of our regular lunch time pubs is at the bottom of the steps that go up to the Abbey, great harbour views, not sure if that's the one you mentioned?

the one i mentioned is on the other side,very much a local pub.but yes that one on the opposite has great views, especially of the endeavour replica.

Not sure about tea plantations in the dales but there is a beer over here called Proper Job.
I have tried Proper Job out of the bottle here, must say I enjoy Proper Strong Yorkshire tea better. Though I was joking about the tea plantations in the dales, there is a tea plantation in the Highlands of Scotland which is supposedly producing some very nice tea.

Just had an amazing American IPA Wild Bill's from Aldi UK £1.29 for 500ml,
nip into LIDL and try their inhouse brand "green gecko" , pretty good drop for round the same price.
https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/Products.htm?articleId=252

if you come across any Purity brewery ales as well, give them a try morrisons supermarket were stocking them recently. they do a nice traditional dark called Ubu, and a few goldens , one called mad goose thats more bitter and also a bunny hopped thats more an aipa.
https://groceries.morrisons.com/webshop/product/Purity-Brewing-Copure-Ubu/321261011

maybe I should move back here :)
no the plan is to record the characteristics of all these wonderful drops and come back and clone them all.

Have you ever noticed though how the bubbles sink, I don't know if it is the turbulence that causes them to go down the side of the glass instead of up.
Here are some photos of the cubes in the cool room with a knocked up vent / CO2 injector the $50 beer engine with Bunnings sparkler and how to dispense non carbonated beer.
I also do what Bribie was suggesting when transferring to secondary then to cask (cube) I put a blanket of CO2 in the vessel while transferring the beer.
A beautiful ruby mild.
Cheers

View attachment 68490

View attachment 68491

View attachment 68492

View attachment 68493

View attachment 68494
Rea
Have you ever noticed though how the bubbles sink, I don't know if it is the turbulence that causes them to go down the side of the glass instead of up.
Here are some photos of the cubes in the cool room with a knocked up vent / CO2 injector the $50 beer engine with Bunnings sparkler and how to dispense non carbonated beer.
I also do what Bribie was suggesting when transferring to secondary then to cask (cube) I put a blanket of CO2 in the vessel while transferring the beer.
A beautiful ruby mild.
Cheers

View attachment 68490

View attachment 68491

View attachment 68492

View attachment 68493

View attachment 68494

Is this the Valterra RP800 pump?

nip into LIDL and try their inhouse brand "green gecko" , pretty good drop for round the same price.
https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/Products.htm?articleId=252

if you come across any Purity brewery ales as well, give them a try morrisons supermarket were stocking them recently. they do a nice traditional dark called Ubu, and a few goldens , one called mad goose thats more bitter and also a bunny hopped thats more an aipa.
https://groceries.morrisons.com/webshop/product/Purity-Brewing-Copure-Ubu/321261011

no the plan is to record the characteristics of all these wonderful drops and come back and clone them all.
Have you managed to successfully clone any of the UK beers? If so which ones?

Have you managed to successfully clone any of the UK beers? If so which ones?
The only one i have been trying to replicate is smithwicks which is actually irish but near enough i suppose.

My 3rd attemt is pretty nice. Its sold as a smoothflo over there but is fine on the pump.

Just used a coopers ale yeast.
Was mainly concerned to get the amount of crystal in the ball park.

Latest posts

Back